Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This world is so sad.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This world is so sad.

It's pretty bad when I come on this board and I see news like, a family of 3 girls, 12, 14, and 16 are pregnant. A nine year old kills a 11 year old over a ball. A couple of teens kill a man "to have something to do". Where does it originate? How can it be solved? This world is so depressing sometimes. It's hard to find the good.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the story of the mother selling her young daughters into prostitution while living out of a car? How old were those children? 9? 10?

bomarl1969

Re: This world is so sad.

It is pretty depressing. The bad thing is that these horrid acts have been going on for years but with the media and internet the crimes are much more easily exposed.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    It is pretty depressing. The bad thing is that these horrid acts have been going on for years but with the media and internet the crimes are much more easily exposed.
    Exactly. None of this is new. Still very sad.

They call me "chef"

There are plenty of amazing and wonderful stories out there, but we only usually see the negative since they have the biggest affect on us.

Cheer up, there's lots of good out there. I get like thi ssometimes, the evil in the world can get overwhelming, if you're not careful. But there is a lot of good too...as Baumer wrote above, you just don't read about it.

For example, Rich Aurilia asked to be traded. See? That's good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    There are plenty of amazing and wonderful stories out there, but we only usually see the negative since they have the biggest affect on us.
    Hello, I am the Ghost of Human Kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If it bleeds, it leads.

been the mantra for years. thanks to the internet, and satellite TV however, every towns dark little secrets become frontpage news. like this horrific story....

Buzz isn't Citibank's oldest or richest customer, but he's certainly the hairiest.

He also is the only one the tellers allow to slobber on their workstations. And none of the other depositors get a doggie treat for their efforts.

Citibank really is going to the dogs - or rather, one dog in particular.

"What a pretty dog," Shelly Kearns cooed to Buzz, a 7-year-old border collie, when he came in to make his deposit Wednesday at Citibank, formerly First American Bank, 406 S. Polk St.

Buzz has been making deposits for his owner, John Beard, for about five years now. And those who get to see it rarely fail to find it doggone amazing.

"I was so excited the first time he came in," Kearns, a teller supervisor, said Wednesday. "He's so much fun to wait on. In fact, I tell John when he comes in without him, 'OK, now you're going to have to drool on my counter.'"

Beard is the owner of Willow Creek Kennels. He said he has taught about 4,000 old - and young - dogs new tricks, including Buzz. Besides his banking duties, Buzz also can pay for purchases and even help with the bookkeeping - in the form of carrying monthly reports to the accountant. And when he's not running errands, he works like a dog at the kennel, showing new trainees how it's done.

It is, after all, a dog's life.

"He's a working dog," Beard said. "He goes everywhere I go. If they allow dogs, he goes in. He goes to the hardware store with me. He takes my credit card and pays for me."

But, Beard said, anyone who thinks Buzz minds all the work is barking up the wrong tree. It doesn't seem to be a bone of contention between the two.

"I like to take him places; he likes to go places," Beard said. "He likes to do things. Border collies need to stay busy."

Buzz's specialty is retrieving. Beard said he'll retrieve anything: money pouches from tellers and change from cashiers, as well as the more conventional Frisbee. But those who have seen him do it say the real dog and pony act comes before the retrieving.

"He gives me the money or credit card or whatever," said Lisa Aguilar, a cashier at Pride Home Center, where Buzz and Beard are regulars. "He'll stand right here on his hind legs and wait while I count the money. I think he's a pretty neat dog."

But as a watchdog, he's careful; he's not going to get shorted on his change.

"John will say, 'Watch her count, watch her count,' and he'll sit there and really look at you like he's counting," Kearns said. "I couldn't believe it. I know dogs were smart, but I couldn't believe that (Beard) could train a dog like that."

But maybe his bark is worse than his bite. Despite his vigilance, Kearns said, Buzz is a great customer, never impatient or rude.

"He drools a lot, but that's about it," she said.

I'm so embarrased to live here. the absolute horror.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

That so totally cheered me up.

But then people started new threads.

Turn Off Ads?