Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Computer question.

Computer question.

I have verizon DSL. I don't have a router. Occaisionally, I hook up my laptop and never had a problem, but last week, I couldn't connect. I was just swapping cables on the back of the DSL modem.TI thought the DSL modem might be going out. I called Verizon, and they had me go (on my desktop pc) to run-type incmd and enter. Then type in ipconfig (space)/release. Then enter. Then disconnect the cable and hook it up to my laptop. It worked.. And I have to repeat this before disconnecting my laptop. I don't want to buy a router- I seldom use my laptop at home. I am just curious about this command they gave me. Amyome know what it is?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer question.

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like the ipconfig /release command is basically telling your system to go look for the IP address of the machine that is requiring the network connectivity, instead of keeping it set at one static IP address.

So, when you type that in, and then plug in your laptop, it is finding the laptop's IP address and using that for connectivity. When you type it in again and connect your PC, it finds that IP address and uses it.

Like I said, I'm not 100%, but that would seem to be what its doing.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Re: Computer question.

That is what I think, but I am a bit unclear. A techie I am not.

Turn Off Ads?