Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dutch town bans swearing

Dutch town bans swearing

Oh, those crazy Dutch.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...m/dutch_ban_dc

Bible-belt town bans blasphemy

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The name of the Lord may no longer be taken in vain in the Dutch village of Staphorst.

Staphorst, in the so-called Dutch "bible belt" of eastern towns where religion holds sway, approved a ban on swearing by 13-4 council votes.

But the caveat that swearing is not banned when it is an expression of the constitutional freedom of speech may make it difficult to punish offenders.

"A ban on swearing can be seen as a signal," the council's proposal said, adding a change in moral values was needed to address the underlying problem.

Past swearing bans in bible-belt villages were declared in violation of the right to free expression in 1986. One other town has such a ban -- Reimerswaal, in the southwestern province of Zeeland.

The Dutch association against swearing, which runs national billboard campaigns to admonish the bad-mouthed Dutch, says the Bible outlaws swearing.

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain," it quotes Exodus 20:7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dutch town bans swearing

First, they vote to nuke the EU Constitution...now this! Lord... #$*@

I'm sure that is the only commandment being broken in that little burg
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

For a Level Playing Field

Sounds like a good "final Seinfeld episode"... the gang has to land in the Netherlands, on their way to visit Paris, b/c Kramer falls into the cockpit and messes up some controls. Then theyface a year in jail for cussing on a public street while killing time.

Whoever determined what should be a swear word anyway?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    The culture
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    The hell if I bloody know!?!?!

(best I could do w/ the filter and rep thing!)

Pragmatic Fan

But the caveat that swearing is not banned when it is an expression of the constitutional freedom of speech may make it difficult to punish offenders.
    Um...if freedom of speech is constitutionally guaranteed, that how can this statute ever be applied? Color me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Oh, those crazy Dutch.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...m/dutch_ban_dc

Bible-belt town bans blasphemy

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The name of the Lord may no longer be taken in vain in the Dutch village of Staphorst.

Staphorst, in the so-called Dutch "bible belt" of eastern towns where religion holds sway, approved a ban on swearing by 13-4 council votes.

"A ban on swearing can be seen as a signal," the council's proposal said, adding a change in moral values was needed to address the underlying problem.

Past swearing bans in bible-belt villages were declared in violation of the right to free expression in 1986. One other town has such a ban -- Reimerswaal, in the southwestern province of Zeeland.

The Dutch association against swearing, which runs national billboard campaigns to admonish the bad-mouthed Dutch, says the Bible outlaws swearing.

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain," it quotes Exodus 20:7.
    screw that town.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-02-2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: See rule #4 - masked profanity

I'm from Holland. Isn't that vierd?

Turn Off Ads?