Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 44.12%
  • No

19 55.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Paralysis - Seeing Ghosts and Unable to Move After Waking Up

Re: Sleep Paralysis - Seeing Ghosts and Unable to Move After Waking Up

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Then I started sleeping with hot chicks
    I must deny ever sleeping with FCB.

But this is a pretty interesting thread. I have really vivid dreams and often times wake up very confused about where I am, etc. Plus the walking and talking. Strange things happen while we sleep.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have experienced the sleep paralysis quite a few times. No ghosts though.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I have experienced the sleep paralysis quite a few times. No ghosts though.
    Did you see Kris Kristoferson the night after performing "Convoy"?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I sleepwalk as well and done the peeing in the trashcan bit. Maybe I need some therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I must deny ever sleeping with FCB.

This is a general question to everyone: when you experienced this "paralysis" did you awake from a nightmare? no dream at all? pleasant dream? what? What preceded your "paralysis?" I only ask because my experience was preceded by a bad dream, so maybe what I experienced wasn't actually this "experience."

That's messed up that some of you have had a concomitant hallucination. Stuff like that freaks me out. If that happened to me I'd never sleep with the lights off again.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Did you see Kris Kristoferson the night after performing "Convoy"?
    It was "a convoy christmas"
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    It was "a convoy christmas"
    I still think that is soooo hiliarious. I don't know why. I guess I'm just picturing little 2nd grade kids in trucker vests singing the song.

I don't want to derail this thread, as I'm really fascinated by it, so I'll stop talking about Convoy now.

On with your wicked crazy dream stories....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That's messed up that some of you have had a concomitant hallucination.
    Diffusion

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I sleepwalk as well and done the peeing in the trashcan bit. Maybe I need some therapy.
    Just means you're a charter member of the Awesome Club.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    While sleeping at a friend's house when I was about 12 years old, I was awakened by the sound of my friend sleepwalking into his older brother's room...where he then proceeded to relieve himself into the bottom dresser drawer.

Showing a complete lack of sympathy, the brother immediately began to pummell my friend while he was still asleep (allegedly). While it made for an interesting topic of conversation at the breakfast table, there was no mention of ghosts...

This is a general question to everyone: when you experienced this "paralysis" did you awake from a nightmare? no dream at all? pleasant dream? what? What preceded your "paralysis?" I only ask because my experience was preceded by a bad dream, so maybe what I experienced wasn't actually this "experience."

That's messed up that some of you have had a concomitant hallucination. Stuff like that freaks me out. If that happened to me I'd never sleep with the lights off again.
    I've only had two or three nightmares that I can remember and none of them preceded any of the sleep paralysis events. I've tried and tried, but the vast majority of the time I simply cannot remember any of my dreams, good or bad. Every hallucination I've had during sleep paralysis has started literally as I was waking up and lasts maybe 30 seconds.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I have had the experience of trying to wake up from a nightmare but can't.

Also put my clothes in the fridge once after waking up on the living room floor and putting my jammies on. My mom still tells the story. And no,that wasn't just last night
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    I've only had two or three nightmares that I can remember and none of them preceded any of the sleep paralysis events. I've tried and tried, but the vast majority of the time I simply cannot remember any of my dreams, good or bad. Every hallucination I've had during sleep paralysis has started literally as I was waking up and lasts maybe 30 seconds.
    I awoke from my nightmare (I couldn't have been any older than 5 years old) in a cold sweat, tried to scream but couldn't, tried to get up but I was frozen in terror, literally my limbs felt frozen stiff and cold. I had dreamed of the scene in Psycho where Janet Leigh's sister finds Norman Bates's dead mother in the basement of the house. I had that nightmare about 60 times as a kid (but only once did I have the paralyzed feeling). But I'll never forget that experience of paralysis as long as I live. The worst part was not being able to scream.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 06-03-2005 at 04:13 PM.

I awoke from my nightmare (I couldn't have been any older than 5 years old) in a cold sweat, tried to scream but couldn't, tried to get up but I was frozen in terror, literally my limbs felt frozen stiff and cold. I had dreamed of the scene in Psycho where Janet Leigh's sister finds Norman Bates's dead mother in the basement of the house. I had that nightmare about 60 times as a kid (but only once did I have the paralyzed feeling). But I'll never forget that experience of paralysis as long as I live. The worst part was not being able to scream.
    Sounds like sleep paralysis to me and you were able to remember the nightmare along with it.

Many of the things I've read about sleep paralysis suggests that while you sleep, your brain purposely "paralyzes" your body to prevent you from acting out your dreams and potentially harming yourself. For most people, the brain shuts off this paralysis mechanism before waking, but others wake up sometimes before the brain is able to shut off the mechanism. Some people have the opposite; their brain begins the paralysis mechanism before they are fully asleep. It's during this these moments that sleep paralysis can occur and are sometimes accompanied by various hallucinations.

Maybe if there's a psychologist reading they can help us out
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Has anyone had a waking "fear-flight response" that was so overwhelming it felt as though your body had taken over control of your mind? When I was about ten, I was walking home alone at dusk from a friend's house and I had to walk past a large unlighted field--I got about midway through the patch when I heard this deep, guttural moaning or lowing coming from the field. It certainly didn't sound human, but it didn't sound like a cow or a dog either (though, in retrospect it probably was a cow). Of course, my imagination had already worked me up into a lather by that point, but to cap the moment off with a not-too-distant ominous moan coming from a dark field, well, let's just say I'm glad I didn't have to use the potty. Anyway, so much adrenaline flooded my body at once, that when I reached home my legs kept trying to jerk up into a running response even after the door was closed behind me. I had the shakes for a half-hour afterwards and felt totally dizzy and nauseated. If I had seen a person on the way home I would have beaten the crap out of him or her. I was totally out of control of my conscious mind. I'll never forget it.

Turn Off Ads?