Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaches meet with Wagner and other stuff (6/5)

Coaches meet with Wagner and other stuff (6/5)

Looks to me like all the players are so frustrated that they're getting a bit touchy... who can blame them!

Sunday, June 5, 2005

Coaches meet with Wagner
    Gesture toward LaRue Friday night not well received
    By John Fay, Enquirer staff writer

DENVER - Ryan Wagner was called into Reds manager Dave Miley's office after Friday's 12-4 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

Miley, pitching coach Don Gullett and bullpen coach Tom Hume weren't upset with Wagner because he gave up six runs in two-thirds of an inning.

They talked to Wagner about showing up teammate Jason LaRue on the field.

After LaRue held the ball rather than throw to first and complete a double play, Wagner twice gave LaRue the "what were you thinking?" gesture with his hands.

LaRue didn't want to talk about the incident.

"That's not something the press needs to know about," he said.

Miley chose not to talk about the incident either.

Wagner was obviously very frustrated with his performance. Of the six hits he gave up, four were infield hits and two were bloop singles.

"I don't know what to say," Wagner said. "I did what I do - got groundballs - I just didn't get a lot of outs."

Wagner's ERA went from 3.54 to 5.34 with the outing.

COORS CURE: Austin Kearns came into Friday's game 0-for-his-last-21. He promptly went 3-for-5 with a double and a home run.

"I didn't swing that well in Houston," Kearns said. "But I felt pretty good against Pittsburgh (at home). I was hitting the ball at people."

Kearns is trying to take a different approach. "I'm trying to be more aggressive," he said. "I'm trying to have better at-bats, hit the ball hard somewhere."

MORE KEARNS: The Atlanta Braves have been making inquiries about Austin Kearns.

The Braves designated right fielder Raul Mondesi for assignment on May 31.

The Reds don't talk about trades but general manager Dan O'Brien has said the Reds don't intend to trade any of their four outfielders.

FREEL SITS: Miley's lineup for Saturday's game did not create the kind of stir Friday's did.

That's because Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn were in it. But Ryan Freel was not.

Freel went into Saturday 3-for-his-last-18 (.167).

Rich Aurilia, who homered Friday night, made his second straight start at second base.

WILY MO UPDATE: Wily Mo Peņa went 1-for-4 for Triple-A Louisville in the Bats' 3-0 loss to Syracuse Saturday.

Peņa told reporters Saturday that he expects to complete his rehab assignment Monday and return to the Reds Tuesday.

HUDSON UPDATE: In his rehab start with Double-A Chattanooga, right-hander Luke Hudson pitched 6 2/3 innings Saturday, allowing four runs on six hits. Hudson walked one and struck out seven.

TOUGH CALL: Sean Casey was stunned when he was charged with an error Friday night on a ball hit by Garrett Atkins in the seventh. "If that's an error, I don't know what a hit is," Casey said. "It was rocket. I went to the right to get it. I've got a bruise on my finger where it hit."

UP NEXT: The Reds wrap up the three-game series with Rockies today with a 3:05 p.m. game. Brandon Claussen (2-3, 3.89 ERA) faces Jason Jennings (3-6, 5.83).

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...366/1071/SPT04
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coaches meet with Wagner and other stuff (6/5)

If it was up to me, I'd lock up Kearns and Pena long term and try to trade Dunn while his stock is decently high. Maybe Dunn will mature, but he has got to be the worst clutch hitter for a power guy in baseball history. I'd rather have Aurilla at the plate with runners in scoring position than Dunn.

That's just funny

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    If it was up to me, I'd lock up Kearns and Pena long term and try to trade Dunn while his stock is decently high. Maybe Dunn will mature, but he has got to be the worst clutch hitter for a power guy in baseball history. I'd rather have Aurilla at the plate with runners in scoring position than Dunn.
    I can't think of another superstar player that was as underappreciated by his home fans as Dunn. Well maybe Mike Schmidt.

Dunn w/RISP-.205/.475/.462

Aurilia w/RISP-.194/.231/.250

A fight in the dugout would do wonders for team chemistry
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I can't think of another superstar player that was as underappreciated by his home fans as Dunn. Well maybe Mike Schmidt.

That is because Dunn isn't a slasher like Pena or Lopez which isn't nearly as pretty to watch. When he slumps, he looks to the naked eye, to be a horrid ballplayer. Even though his slumps compared to Pena or Lopez's are much more productive.

Schmidt

Code:
    RISP 1973 - .196/.284/.467 - 23
    RISP 1974 - .325/.471/.643 - 24
    RISP 1975 - .244/.373/.477 - 25
    RISP 1976 - .287/.398/.556 - 26
    RISP 1977 - .232/.400/.448 - 27
    RISP 1978 - .219/.375/.438 - 28
    RISP 1979 - .230/.387/.466 - 29

One more question.

Why do fans give Dunn hell for posting a .950+ OPS and Kearns gets a free pass for playing below his talent level?

Same goes for Pena. He strikesouts as much as Dunn while taking a walk per month, but nobody criticizes him?

What has Dunn did to deserve all this flak?

Hit .215 that one year and struck out 195 times that other year.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Hit .215 that one year and struck out 195 times that other year.
    Still posted a .354 OB%/.465 SLG in his "down" year when everyone was whispering things in his ear.

Dunn finished 16th in the majors with a .956 OPS last year..despite 195 K's. He slightly outproduced Casey, who struckout about 150 times less than Dunn.

I think it has to do with the tremendous potential that everyone see's in Adam Dunn. He does a lot of things right, and I don't think anyone will argue that, but when you have the potential that he has, it sometimes is a curse. People always expect more and have less patience with any slump or flaw in the armour.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Schmidt

Code:
    RISP 1973 - .196/.284/.467 - 23
    RISP 1974 - .325/.471/.643 - 24
    RISP 1975 - .244/.373/.477 - 25
    RISP 1976 - .287/.398/.556 - 26
    RISP 1977 - .232/.400/.448 - 27
    RISP 1978 - .219/.375/.438 - 28
    RISP 1979 - .230/.387/.466 - 29
    Thanks for posting that.

I guess Schmidtty wasn't "clutch." I bet this board would have been all over him too.

Dunn finished 16th in the majors with a .956 OPS last year..despite 195 K's.
    And became only the FIFTH Red ALLTIME to get 80 EBH in a season... oh and he needed the least amount of ab's to get it too.

Thanks for posting that.

I guess Schmidtty wasn't "clutch." I bet this board would have been all over him too.
    Code:
    Johnny Bench 

MVP 1970 RISP - .318/.390/.682
    MVP 1972 RISP - .258/.388/.454

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    A fight in the dugout would do wonders for team chemistry
    It worked in 1990...

Turn Off Ads?