Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO
    10 1 0.52 13 1 67 17 22 146

98. Travis Wood LHP Sr. R-L 6-1 170 Bryant HS Alexander, Ark. 2/6/87
    Lefty with fastball touching 95 seems intent on being a Razorback
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Another high school pitcher. This time it's one that's labeled as a "project" by even the scouts. Not to mention the possibility of the kid going to college anyway.

What a wasted pick. This organization continues to piss me off in every way possible.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB
    .538 78 45 42 9 3 8 24 11
    12. Jay Bruce OF Sr. L-L 6-2 200 West Brook HS Beaumont, Texas 4/3/87
    One of the draft’s fastest risers and toolsiest players

refresh my memory please, who were the reds #2 and #3 picks last year?
    Go BLUE!!!

Travis Wood:

Travis Wood LHP 6-1 170 R / L
    Bryant, Ark. Hornets
    "Ranked as the No. 1 pitcher in Arkansas. . . .Features an 89-92 mph fastball with life. . . .Also throws a curveball and change-up. . . .Great competitor." -- DVH

Finished the 2004 season with an 11-1 record, two saves and a 1.21 ERA. He registered 105 (137?) strikeouts in 69.2 innings while allowing only 21 hits. Opponents batted .090 against him. He batted .325 with 6 doubles, 2 homeruns and 17 RBI.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Player of the Year in 2004.

Won the Gatorade Thirst Quencher Arkansas High School Baseball Player of the Year award in 2004.

#54 on Baseball America's Top 100 high school players list in November of 2004.

In January of 2005 he signed a NJCAA letter of intent to play at UA-Fort Smith. He can still come to Arkansas if he chooses.

10-1, 0.52 ERA, 13 games, 1 save, 67 innings, 17 hits, 22 walks and 146 strikeouts in 2005.

Named to the class AAAAA All-State baseball team in 2005.

#98 on BaseballAmerica's Top 200 Draft Prospects list.

Ranked the best draft eligible player in Arkansas by BaseballAmerica. Their Scouting Report: Wood is a long-term project, albeit an intriguing one because there aren't many lefthanders who can reach 95 mph. His fastball sat at 88-91 mph for much of the spring, but he started making more frequent forays into the mid-90s as the draft drew closer. Wood isn't tall, but he generates his velocity with a quick arm and athleticism. Scouts aren't crazy about his delivery, as he throws with a lot of effort and with some recoil. Wood hasn't shown much aptitude for spinning a breaking ball, and his curveball ranges from below-average to decent. For the most part, he just rears back and blows fastballs by inferior competition, so he'll have to make adjustments at the next level. Wood is considered a tough but not impossible sign. If teams decide he can't be steered away from Arkansas, the state may not have a player drafted in the first 10 rounds.
    Big picture:http://eteamz.active.com/bryantblack...ges/TWood3.jpg

I know nothing about Travis Wood but he is 6 foot 160 pounds! It was mentioned on Old Red Guard that David Duncan was out of the Reds grasp. How I have no clue? But the kid is 6"9 and has great control for a big man. Not to mention hes hitting 94 MPH with a solid change and his working on a curve piece. I've seen this young man pitch before. He's put his team on his back for three straight years in the D II High School playoff on my area's High School teams. He could really be something special in the years to come. It boggle my mind you let a 6"9 bombshell go for a 6 footer that resembles myself in size.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Does anyone really trust the Reds minor league organization to develop this guy into a Billy Wagner type? Because I am sure this is what the Reds think he is capable of.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

For the most part, he just rears back and blows fastballs by inferior competition, so he'll have to make adjustments at the next level. Wood is considered a tough but not impossible sign.
    UGH.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Does anyone really trust the Reds minor league organization to develop this guy into a Billy Wagner type? Because I am sure this is what the Reds think he is capable of.

That is who I thought of also, but my guess is that he is a long way from beng wagner...

That pick was a head scratcher. I figured on a college arm or bat somewhere in the first two rounds.

It is truly a shame when we have to put up with DanO's "ineptitude" for another three years as his draftees flounder in the minor leagues. Than maybe the FO will realize this guy is a joke and a slap in the face to Cincinnati Reds fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    refresh my memory please, who were the reds #2 and #3 picks last year?
    BJ Szymanski (outfielder)- out of princeton right knee operation should be back soon
    Craig Tatum (Catcher)- Just had TJ Surgery

Jeffrey Lyman : Braves Pick

COMMENT: Large durable frame. Similar to Rick Helling. Hard worker w/ a commanding mound presence. Has FB that bores into RHH, good sinking change-up and splitter is nasty.

Travis Wood: Reds pick

Comment: His fastball sat at 88-91 mph for much of the spring, but he started making more frequent forays into the mid-90s as the draft drew closer. Wood isn't tall, but he generates his velocity with a quick arm and athleticism. Scouts aren't crazy about his delivery, as he throws with a lot of effort and with some recoil. Wood hasn't shown much aptitude for spinning a breaking ball, and his curveball ranges from below-average to decent

UHHHHH it seems like DanO is shopping at K-Mart and the Braves are shopping at Tiffany's.

Comment on Wood: His fastball sat at 88-91 mph for much of the spring, but he started making more frequent forays into the mid-90s as the draft drew closer.

Basically what I gather from this is Wood starting throwing harder to impress scouts when they came out to see him instead of staying within himself. He's a High School kid so you can't blame him for doing this. Every kid is going to try to throw harder, run faster, and swing harder when theirs a radar gun or stop watch in the vicinity.

Turn Off Ads?