Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamethread 6/8 Reds Vs. Devil Rays

Re: Gamethread 6/8 Reds Vs. Devil Rays

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    When Milton throws a ball, it's not even close to the strikezone, and when he throws a strike, it's dead-center middle of the zone.

There's got to be a mechanical reason for him to be that horrible. He's not a bad pitcher.

We need a new pitching coach.

Wholesale firing of management throughout the organization, but it will have to be during the offseason when contracts are up with coaches from other clubs.
    I'm no fan of Gullet but I can't blame Miltons implosion on him. The guys a ML pitcher for goodness sake. He should be capable of performing at a certain basic level no matter who the pitching coach is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

And he always had some mighty fine wine......Joy to the World! Thanks Matt.....I was beginning to think I was the only one over 30 here.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    And he always had some mighty fine wine......Joy to the World! Thanks Matt.....I was beginning to think I was the only one over 30 here.
    You may be...but I listen to every kind of music out there (pretty much)...newer and stuff way before my time

MAN....that is horrible....

No wonder grunge came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    I'm no fan of Gullet but I can't blame Miltons implosion on him. The guys a ML pitcher for goodness sake. He should be capable of performing at a certain basic level no matter who the pitching coach is.
    But IF your pitching coach tells him to shorten his stride, or some such thingy and it screws the pitcher up, what is the player to do? Coach definitely have a purpose and influence.

I am a strident Gully fan, but I do believe that years upon years of woeful performance need to be blamed on somebody.....the ONLY constant has been Gullett.

Joe Randa hit that homer, but he needs to thank Miley and Freel for it. Waechter was so worried about Freel and the 1-1 "great running count" that he rushed to the plate and grooved a slider.

Speed can be such a weapon, even without steals.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Just like Mike Brown was the one constant......Gullett has been the same thing for the Reds.

I like Gullett, but I truly think he's been in this organization so long, he no longer recognizes good pitching, or knows how to help it.

Gullett needs a change of scenery.

I'd like to see some fresh blood from winning organizations who haven't had a chance to be coaches. Promotions to REDS' positions from outside the organization, I would welcome.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    Would you guys consider discussing Chicago or Three Dog Night?
    Can't do that. Neither wrote a song with the word balls in it.

"...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I hate to say this, but outside of the order of the hitters, and the fact that LaRue is still in it, I really like this line up.

I am in the camp that would switch Lopez and Randa. Randa, seems to me, has only been effective so far when he has hit it out. He can do that from 2nd or 7th in the order. I want two fairly fast .300 hitters at the top of my line up.

Also, does anybody agree that Freel seems much more comfortable in the field right now, now that he starts everyday at 2nd. He just seems to be much more deliberate and relaxed.

A 1-2-3 inning by Milton.

Nice job. And his pitches were a little tighter on the edge of the strike zone.

Probably luck, as I doubt he all of a sudden improved his mechanics between innings.

That Colorado outing by Milton wasn't bad. He also had a decent start before that. He's got to step up and dominate these bad teams. That's what he's getting paid for, as you said, regardless of the hitting coach.

Pete Rose didn't wait for the right coach to come along to fix his mechanics...he worked on it himself til he got it right (which was every day).
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    Just like Mike Brown was the one constant......Gullett has been the same thing for the Reds.
    I can buy that and I was in no means defending Gullet.

I'm just saying that if I was a ML pitcher and had a track record of at least moderate success and a new coach changes things and I get shelled like Milton has, well then screw his teaching I'm going back to what I've been doing my whole life.

What's he gonna do not start Milton or yank him for his mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Can't do that. Neither wrote a song with the word balls in it.

But oh man....Saturday, in the park, I think it was the fourth of July......

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Joe Randa hit that homer, but he needs to thank Miley and Freel for it. Waechter was so worried about Freel and the 1-1 "great running count" that he rushed to the plate and grooved a slider.

Speed can be such a weapon, even without steals.
    I agree. There was a lot of Freel on that homer...and I've got to think something working between Freel and Randa....sort of a Freeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    I agree. There was a lot of Freel on that homer...and I've got to think something working between Freel and Randa....sort of a Freeling.
    Yeah if we keep winning Miley might get hooked on a Freeling.

Turn Off Ads?