Thread: UC Recruit Charged With Rape

UC Recruit Charged With Rape

Per Pic on 1360.

More details to come.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC Recruit Charged With Rape

Honesltly, will it ever stop?

How can any of you UC fans justify keeping Huggins? Huggings and Huggins alone is the one who brings these thugs into the program. It's Huggins fault that UC is viewed nationally as a thug school.

I don't care, I'm not a UC fan at all. But why don't you guys?

For a Level Playing Field

Cunningham talked about it during my drive to/from lunch. I guess the kid went to a private school in order to get higher grades to avoid missing his freshman year in a D-I program. I give him crdit for that, but it makes me realize that he probably is not too smart or intelligent (bad grades to start). And it sounds like he is not the only kid involved in this matter. Cunningham said it was statutory rape.

My first thought was, "Can't blame Huggs for this." And how can this be Huggs' fault? The kid, according to WLW, has never been in trouble with the law prior to this. In this particular case I cannot fault Huggs. Other cases... sure, I have to say that Huggs knew a kid was a risk. But this kid did not seem to have a record of troublemaking at all. Just not a very good academic student. As far as I have heard. I am sure we will hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

My first thought was, "Can't blame Huggs for this." And how can this be Huggs' fault? The kid, according to WLW, has never been in trouble with the law prior to this. In this particular case I cannot fault Huggs. Other cases... sure, I have to say that Huggs knew a kid was a risk. But this kid did not seem to have a record of troublemaking at all. Just not a very good academic student. As far as I have heard. I am sure we will hear more.
    We have already heard more. On Pic's show this morning he read one of this kid's quotes after he signed with UC. Something to the extent of how he was attracted to UC because of the style of play but also because Coach Huggins stuck with him through all his problems.

Uh oh. That, to me, signifies that Huggins did, indeed, have some knowledge of what this kid did. If that is the case, it's another nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Honesltly, will it ever stop?

How can any of you UC fans justify keeping Huggins? Huggings and Huggins alone is the one who brings these thugs into the program. It's Huggins fault that UC is viewed nationally as a thug school.

I don't care, I'm not a UC fan at all. But why don't you guys?
    Cheap Shot.
    I think there are other situations where I'd say Huggs should have done a better job, but in those situations the kids were fully within the fold of the program. This kid is not in town and is not in contact with the program 24/7 like would be once he is on campus.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Cheap Shot.
    I think there are other situations where I'd say Huggs should have done a better job, but in those situations the kids were fully within the fold of the program. This kid is not in town and is not in contact with the program 24/7 like would be once he is on campus.
    But the whole point is that Huggins knew the character of this kid. This didn't come out of the blue. This rape happened last fall, BEFORE he committed to UC. More will come out I'm sure, but this is just another sad chapter in the dismal story that is the UC basketball program under Bob Huggins.

But the whole point is that Huggins knew the character of this kid. This didn't come out of the blue. This rape happened last fall, BEFORE he committed to UC. More will come out I'm sure, but this is just another sad chapter in the dismal story that is the UC basketball program under Bob Huggins.
    Was UC the only school that recruited this guy? Because if they weren't then that would mean other coaches were willing to take a chance on him as well.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Did I miss that part? I didn't see it in this thread or in the one you responded to. I was responding to what I read here, which was that the kid was charged with rape. I assumed it was a recent development.

That's not fair, giving me half the facts. Redszone is my only source of information
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Did I miss that part? I didn't see it in this thread or in the one you responded to. I was responding to what I read here, which was that the kid was charged with rape. I assumed it was a recent development.

That's not fair, giving me half the facts. Redszone is my only source of information
    I'm going by what I heard on Jeff Piecorro's show this morning on 1360. Apparently this incident happened last fall and involved 3 or 4 other players at that prep school -- one of whom is committed to the College of Charleston, I believe.

But Pic read this kid's comments that he made when he signed with UC, and he said something to the extent that he was coming here because Coach Huggins didn't give up on him despite his past.

If that is the case, it appears that Huggins knew of this situation or some other problems in his background.

But Pic read this kid's comments that he made when he signed with UC, and he said something to the extent that he was coming here because Coach Huggins didn't give up on him despite his past.
    I've always been under the impression that Evans was referring to Huggins staying with him when other coaches lost interest due to his grades/test scores (which had been an issue).

The school is the Winchendon School in Boston. The UC recruit is Tyree Evans, 20, of Richmond, Va.

Boston.com ran an AP story about the incident today

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ged_with_rape/

Winchendon School basketball players charged with rape

June 8, 2005

WINCHENDON, Mass. --Several current and former basketball players at the Winchendon School are charged with statutory rape in connection with an alleged incident last fall at the prep school, according to court documents.
    Article Tools

The Telegram and Gazette of Worcester reported that Lorenzo Keeler, 19, of Temecula, Calif., Tyree Evans, 20, of Richmond, Va., and Oliver Harrison, 19, of Danville, Ill., are all current members of the Winchendon basketball team.

Benjamin Brown, 19, of Richmond, Va., and Ramone Wellington, 19, of Pittsburg, Calif., are former players.

Keeler, Evans, Brown and Wellington were charged last month with statutory rape and indecent assault of a child over 14. Harrison has been charged with distributing material of a child in the nude.

No details of the incident were released, and a judge ordered all records impounded at the request of prosecutors. The five players are due to appear in Winchendon District Court next Tuesday.

The school's headmaster, William LaBelle, could not be reached for comment.

The Winchendon School, in north-central Massachusetts, plays in the elite New England Prep School Athletic Council and recruits players from all over the country who often go on to play Division I college and professional basketball.

According to the Telegram, Evans has signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Cincinnati in the fall. Tom Hathaway, assistant athletic director for media relations at the school, said Tuesday he was not aware of the charges against the 6-foot-3 guard.

Keeler has a scholarship to play at San Jose State and is rated 56th nationally in a listing of top fifth-year players, according to the Winchendon Web site. Lawrence Fan, a spokesman for San Jose State athletics, would not comment on the case Tuesday. "We're in a fact-finding situation," he said.

The newspaper said Brown, a 6-9 power forward, has signed to play at the College of Charleston.

Doug Stewart of Casper College in Casper, Wyo., said Tuesday that Wellington transferred to the western school this year in an attempt to improve his grades and play basketball, but was not able to improve enough to meet the school's requirements and left the school by April.

In 1999, five students at Winchendon School were charged with sexually assaulting two 14-year-old girls. Four of the students were on the basketball team. One was acquitted, charges were dropped against another, and in 2002, three of the students were found guilty and placed on probation.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 06-08-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Not that it matters anymore but it was consensual sex with a 16 year old, UC says they weren't aware of the charges until yesterday.

Same old, same old with Huggins...and yes I am one long time UC fan who's sick of Huggins and the type of players he pursues.

If Evans can't play at UC now as a result or Huggins dismisses him it's just another short roster or he'll have to rely on a lesser player again...ho hum, UC basketball has become a running joke.

UC Recruit Charged With Rape
    And a cheer goes up from all the haters in the crowd. I think I'll start linking news reports about all of the young men Bob Huggins has helped out of poor circumstances and given a second chance in life to. How many of these supposed "thugs" do you think wouldn't have been playing somewhere else if the didn't attend UC? Let me give you the quick answer: They ALL would have been given a chance to play somewhere else in Division 1. It's not like UC is the one stop shop for all players of questionable character, shall I post links to all of the other players in other programs that get busted for doing stupid stuff? I mean you guys that are giddy with excitement to post a negative UC/Bob Huggins story do realize it goes on everywhere else too right?

There are many fine young men that have graduated from Bob Huggins program and gone on to do wonderful things with their lives. Not to mention a graduation rate that has been ridiculously misrepresented in the national media.

For a Level Playing Field

20-years-old and still playing HS basketball? Geez... he should be better than others "that are not his age".

HS athletics should have an age limit. Whether you were held back for the right reasons or the wrong reasons (to get an advantage), it is not fair to kids who are playing at the correct age. I am even agreeable to a 19-year-old limit. After 19-years-old, you should not be allowed to participate.

Just something not right about a 20-year-old mingling with 14-year-old freshman girls in school everyday too. Hence, the story at hand in this thread. <shakes head in disgust>

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Those who think this has anything to do with Bob Huggins simply just don't like the guy.

Think about it...this kid is half way across the country and not even a UC student yet....this has nothing to do with Huggins

I guess the kid who will play for UC in 6 years who just got in a fight at school and suspended or expelled is Bob Huggins' fault too...

Turn Off Ads?