Thread: 2005 Cincinnati Reds Draft Selections

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: 2005 Cincinnati Reds Draft Selections

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Thanks WvRed..Doog
    Any time

2. Turn Off Ads?

the Reds first five rounds look nothing like the one i grabbed in UC's computer lab this afternoon...but with the exception of Wood and LeCure, i like the Reds first 5-rounds.

RHP Cesar Carillo-i've been pimping him for awhile as the Reds' pick. with the injury to Hansen, it made it easier to take Carillo.

RF Brian Pettway-thought about taking Maiques before him, but the weight loss and training he did put him above Maiques for me.

RHP Kenny Maiques-see above. i didn't think he'd make it to the fourth round though. i had Justin Sellers marked here orignally, but Billy Beane happens. then i had James Avery here. but Maiques is far superior to him IMO.

SS Reese Havens-the A's took my SS who i was going to take in round 3. wanting to draft a MI, i took Havens as i think he'll be emerging as FeLo becomes too expensive.

1B Justin Smoak-i like him as a LF more than a 1B, i think. i was going to take Slayden in the 5th round, but his injuries scared me off. i doubt Smoak will/would sign though, which is probably why he made it to this point
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Bo Lanier and Jason Vecchio are two great mysteries on how a scout sold these two. Look at Vecchio in the prior two years:

http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/VE/tbc41702.asp

Code:
    Year  	Team  	Lg.  	Ag  	Org  	Lvl  	W  	L  	ERA  	G  	GS  	CG  	SH  	GF  	SV  	IP  	H  	R  	ER  	HR  	BB  	SO  	WP  	BK  	H9  	W9  	K9  	whip
    2003 	UT-SA 	NCAA 			NCAA 	0 	2 	13.20 	12 	2 	0 	0 		0 	15 	22 	26 	22 	3 	21 	9 	5 		13.2 	12.6 	5.4 	2.87
    2004 	UT-SA 	NCAA 			NCAA 	1 	2 	9.60 	12 	3 	0 	0 		0 	30 	45 	34 	32 	6 	13 	13 	7 		13.5 	3.9 	3.9 	1.93
    Lanier's ERA is over 6 this year, seems like he might be able to get some Ks, but my gosh, how could he get drafted?

Code:
    Year  	Team  	Lg.  	Ag  	Org  	Lvl  	W  	L  	ERA  	G  	GS  	CG  	SH  	GF  	SV  	IP  	H  	R  	ER  	HR  	BB  	SO  	WP  	BK  	H9  	W9  	K9  	whip
    2002 	UG 	NCAA 			NCAA 	2 	1 	11.25 	12 	0 	0 	0 		0 	16 	26 	22 	20 	0 	13 	9 	8 		14.6 	7.3 	5.1 	2.44
    2003 	UG 	NCAA 			NCAA 	0 	0 	10.12 	3 	0 	0 	0 		0 	3 	4 	3 	3 	0 	3 	2 	0 		13.5 	10.1 	6.8 	2.62
    2004 						4 	1 		24 	0 	0 	0 		2 	46 	44 	19 	16 	4 	19 	42 	7 		-- 	-- 	--
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

"His advisor put him into the wrong core classes, so he was one class short and couldn't play," Reynolds said. "We saw him through a number of workouts, and currently he's pitching for the North Woods League, which is a summer collegiate league. We've seen him in a lot of different environments."
    He's going to be the sleeper of this draft. Texas is a pretty good baseball school, and this guy was going to be the ace of the staff. He fell off the map due to an advisor mistake. Bad for him as far as 2005 and the College World Series goes, good for the Reds if he signs.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

LeCure's current stats in the North Woods League:

1 GS 3 runs, 0 earned 2BB's 5 K's

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    He's going to be the sleeper of this draft. Texas is a pretty good baseball school, and this guy was going to be the ace of the staff. He fell off the map due to an advisor mistake. Bad for him as far as 2005 and the College World Series goes, good for the Reds if he signs.
    If he signs? Unless he's also being advised by Mark Harrington's adviser, what could he possibly hold out for?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It is looking like a pretty smart pick, I agree. There is nothing wrong with picking up bullpen arms in the 4th or 5th round.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Advisor mistake, huh? I guess he can't figure out how to fill out his own schedules. Oh well, no one says you have to be an intellectual giant to play baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Reds 19th round pick and first pick of Day 2 was:

SS Eric Eymann. Kansas St. University.

Eric Eymann: Large frame. Lean, rangy body. Occasional line drive alley power. Arm strength near avg. enough for routine play. Proper techniques for defensive infield actions. Will catch the ball. Aggressive, competitive makeup.

.303/.358/.460 4 homeruns 39 RBI 13 BB 5 for 7 in stolen bases
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm really liking 15th rounder Michael DeJesus. Teamone has him ranked as the 9th best high school 2ndbaseman in the country.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Pick 602 for the Reds, Round 20.

Benjamin Mummy, 1B, U of Nevada-Reno

R/R

6'3" 205lbs.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Ben Mummy:

2003:

.256 4 homeruns 17 RBI 12 BB

2004:

.367 8 homeruns 41 RBI 23 BB

2005:

.297 18 homeruns 52 RBI 25 BB

NEVADA: Returns at first base after missing the final 22 games of last season after breaking his wrist in a nonbaseball related accident...selected as the 2005 All-WAC preseason first baseman by the league coaches and Baseball America...teams top hitter a year ago at .367 he is expected to provide the offensive punch in the middle of the lineup that he showed prior to his injury last season... enters the 2005 season with a 9-game hit streak in which he is batting .457(16-for-35) with 16 runs scored, 20 RBI, 3 doubles, and 6 home runs...the streak is the second longest for any player in the WAC heading into the 2005 campaign.

2004(Jr.): Started the first 37 games of the season before breaking his wrist in a nonbaseball accident which forced him to miss the final 22 games of the year...posted the top batting average on the squad at .367...earned WAC Player of the Week honors twice on February 8 when he hit .500 with 5 runs scored, 7 RBI, 2 doubles and a home run then again on April 19 after batting .500 with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles, a home run and 7 RBI...began the season with a 12 game hit streak, the final 2 games of the 2003 season and the first 10 of the 2004 year...the 12 game streak tied for the 8th longest in the WAC...collected hit in his final 9 games of 2004 before the injury...hit safely in 31 of 37 games played...hit a career single game high 2 home runs vs. SMC(4/6)...came off the bench vs. SJSU(3/26) and drove in the winning run as Nevada won 7-6...twice drove in a career high 5 runs at Louisiana Tech(4/9) and vs. Fresno State(4/16)...the 2 five RBI performances were within a 3 game span...16 multiple hit games ranked fifth on the squad and 11 multiple RBI games was fourth on the team...batted fourth in the lineup 13 times and fifth 12 times.

2003(So.): Began the season as the Pack's first baseman starting 25 games before Erick Streelman took over the position...made five starts at designated hitter...nine multiple hit(8-2hit, and 1-3hit) games and four multiple RBI(2-2RBI and 2-3RBI) games...batted .286 with two runs scored, a double, 2 home runs, and 5 RBI during his season high five game hit streak...three run homer at Hawai`i on March 21 tied for his top RBI game of the season as the Pack won 5-1...top offensive game was his 3-for-5, 3RBI game at Sacramento State that included a solo home run.

HIGH SCHOOL: Four-year baseball letterwinner playing for coach Ron Martin at Meadowdale High School in Lynnwood, Wash....all-state, all-area, and All-Wesco South baseball selection...Washington State MVP...batted .470 with seven home runs, 45 RBI, 18 stolen bases, and a 1.420 slugging percentage as a senior.

PERSONAL: Business Marketing major...born Aug. 14, 1984...son of Pam and Greg Mummy...enjoys working on cars...father played baseball at Stanford...likes to golf in his free time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Advisor mistake, huh? I guess he can't figure out how to fill out his own schedules. Oh well, no one says you have to be an intellectual giant to play baseball.
    Kid has a form of ADD, and it is the Advisor's JOB to make sure he gets the required credits so he remains elligible. He was going to have a tough time in school regardless. On the mound he was regarded as the Longhorns ace. The same Longhorns heading to the Super Regionals to face #5 Mississippi.

This was a smart pick. In fact I think it was sneaky smart.

How very Bowden-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That was my initial thought too. But I guess if you're an athlete, you shouldn't have any personal responsiblity Funny how all the other athletes at that school didn't have a problem.

Well, let's hope he pans out for the Reds.

Kid has a form of ADD, and it is the Advisor's JOB to make sure he gets the required credits so he remains elligible. .
    With all due respect, faulty advisors have tons of students to "advise". If the kid can't even keep track of what classes he needs to take to stay eligible, he doesn't belong in college. It's highly possible that he dropped or flunked a class and fell behind.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    That was my initial thought too. But I guess if you're an athlete, you shouldn't have any personal responsiblity Funny how all the other athletes at that school didn't have a problem.

Well, let's hope he pans out for the Reds.

With all due respect, faulty advisors have tons of students to "advise". If the kid can't even keep track of what classes he needs to take to stay eligible, he doesn't belong in college. It's highly possible that he dropped or flunked a class and fell behind.
    See the part where he has ADD. See the part where his parents considered suing.

A mistake was made, and added to that he was likely struggling in school due to ADD.

The part I like is where he was considered the staff ace at a pretty good baseball school.

Turn Off Ads?