Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Cincinnati Reds Draft Selections

Re: 2005 Cincinnati Reds Draft Selections

23rd Round pick LHP James Morris, U Illinois Champaign

AT ILLINOIS
    2004 Redshirt Sophomore: Made 14 appearances out of the bullpen in 2004 • Threw 1 2/3 scoreless innings of relief against Mississippi State, striking out three • Struck out a career-high five in three innings of work against Western Michigan • Picked up a save and win over the Michigan series, saving game three of the series after allowing one run in two innings of work before turning around to win game four, throwing the final four innings.

2003 Sophomore: Redshirted the season with a back injury • Made a comeback over the summer, pitching for the Wisconsin Woodchucks of the Northwoods League.

2002 Freshman: Made Illini debut in season-opening series at Texas-Pan American - allowed two runs on one hit in 2/3 of an inning of work • Made Big Ten debut against Indiana in Conference's opening weekend • Threw a scoreless two innings against Illinois College near the end of April • Followed that up with two more scoreless innings against Blackburn College in the middle of May • Struck out a career-high two against Blackburn • Played for the Wausau Woodchucks of the Northwoods League over the summer.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Earned 11 varsity letters at Eldorado: four in both baseball and football and three in basketball • Struck out 116 in 61 innings as a senior while posting a 2.67 ERA • Selected to participate in the Southern Illinois Baseball Coaches Association All-Star Game • Hit .462 with seven home runs and 28 RBI as a first baseman • Earned All-South honors as a junior and senior in baseball, football (defensive end) and basketball (center) • Honorable mention All-State selection in basketball as a senior • Team finished fourth in the state in baseball his junior season • An excellent student, was on the High Honor Roll all four years of high school, earned Student of the Quarter honors three times, received the Lt. Governor Academic Award as a junior and senior, earned Army ROTC Scholar-Athlete honors as a senior and was the recipient of the First State Bank Scholarship.

PERSONAL
    Born June 3, 1983 • Parents are James and the late Barbara Morris • Majoring in kinesiology • Selected in the 37th round of the 2001 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Anaheim Angels • Lists biggest thrill in sports as going to state in baseball and finishing fourth • Favorite athlete is Randy Johnson because he is a winner, has a good work ethic and is a big lefthander • Past summer jobs include working as a youth league umpire • Plans after finishing school include playing professional baseball as far as it will take him and then becoming a sports agent • Active in church youth activities • Lists his father, his high school coach, Greg Goodley, and the Eldorado fans "who offered continuous support and guidance throughout my elementary, middle school and high school career" as the biggest influences on his athletic career • Would like to thank the Illinois coaching staff for giving him the opportunity to play baseball in the Big Ten and study at the University of Illinois.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

25th round pick CF Taylor Johnson U of Washington

Personal
    Born July 25, 1983, in Vancouver, Wash. ... son of Charles and Terri Johnson ... has a younger sister, Kelsey, a standout soccer player at Bellevue Community College ... majoring in sociology.

Washington
    2004 (Junior) - Started a total of 44 games for the Huskies, 25 in center field and 19 in right ... was the most regular starter in right the last month of the season after Lillibridge's move to center ... one of three Huskies with double-digit stolen bases, with a career-best 10 in 13 attempts ... had a hot stretch over 13 games in late April and the first half of May, going 17-for-37 (.459) with 12 runs and 15 RBI ... drove in winning run in the 10th May 14 at USC as UW came back from 6-0 down to win, 8-6 ... 5-for-7, three doubles May 11-12 vs. Portland ... started all three vs. No. 1 Stanford, batting 3-for-9 for the weekend ... 3-for-7 with two homers and six runs batted in at Oregon State ... grand slam May 2 at OSU ... 2-for-4 with a triple at Georgia Tech ... homered in ninth Mar. 23 at Gonzaga ... had a good opening weekend vs. Gonzaga ... provided game-winning RBI in Feb. 21 win, singling to drive in Lillibridge in the eighth ... two-run HR Feb. 23 in 3-0 win ... played summer ball for the Seattle Studs, making second-team all-league after batting .314 with four homers and 24 RBI in 29 league starts ... went to the National Baseball Congress World Series with the Studs, starting all four of their games there ... named the No. 8 prospect in the Pacific International League by Baseball America ... 2003 (Sophomore) - Started 44 of 60 games in right field and 45 total ... slumped a bit at the plate in the late-going, and only started two of the season's final 13 games ... started, walked and scored in the May 31 game vs. Long Beach State at the NCAA Regional ... 2-for-3 vs. Lewis-Clark State ... 2-for-4 Apr. 25 vs. Cal ... went 6-for-7 with a grand slam and five RBIs in Apr. 21 doubleheader vs. Hawaii-Hilo ... had a hit in seven straight ABs, dating back to previous game ... hit fifth homer of the year in Mar. 16 win over Cal State Northridge ... two homers in final two ABs in Mar. 7 win over Washington State ... followed that with a homer in his first at bat at Oregon State ... four hits in the Mar. 11 win at OSU ... 5-for-10 with four runs in OSU series March 11-12 ... 3-for-12 with six RBIs in WSU series ... homer and four RBI Mar. 1 vs. CSUN ... played summer ball for Bourne (Mass) in the Cape Cod League ... 2002 (Freshman) - Finished the season as the regular starter in right field against right-handed starters ... started 21 of the last 33 in right field, usually as the leadoff hitter ... also started four in CF ... Huskies went 15-6 in games in which he started in right field ... started all five games at the NCAA Regional ... 3-for-5 May 18 at Oregon State ... 2-for-6 with a two-run homer in game two May 14 vs. Gonzaga ... 2-for-3 May 10 at USC ... hit three homers in his last nine regular-season starts ... homered in both games (May 7-8) vs. Portland and went 4-for-9 in the two games ... 2-for-3 May 5 in lone UCLA start that weekend ... started all three in RF and leadoff vs. Cal, going 3-for-12 with two RBI and two assists ... got a start April 16 vs. Lewis-Clark State (2-for-5 with a double) and then started in right field and in the leadoff spot in both of the wins over Stanford ... first career hit was a solo homer Feb. 26 at Portland ... played summer ball for Bend (Ore.) in the Pacific International League, batting .326 with a wood bat in 15 league games ... also walked 11 times and stole eight bases in league play for the Elks.

Skyview High School
    Earned three varsity baseball letters at Skyview ... also earned three letters each in football and basketball ... first-team all-league in baseball all three seasons ... also a first-team all-leaguer in basketball and second-team in football as a senior ... batted .408 as a sophomore, .508 as a junior and .378 as a senior ... named team's offensive MVP his junior and senior years and played in the Area Code Games in 2000 ... all-state and a member of the Washington state all-star team that swept Oregon's all-stars ... drafted in the 39th round by Pittsburgh in the June, 2001 draft ... team captain as a junior and senior ... also team captain as a junior and senior in basketball ... team captain and offensive MVP of his football team as a senior ... graduated with a 3.6 GPA and was nominated for a National Football Foundation scholarship.

TAYLOR JOHNSON'S CAREER BATTING STATISTICS:
    Year Avg. G/GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI Slg% BB HBP SO OB% SF SH SB/A
    2002 .278 34/26 108 23 30 6 0 4 13 .444 11 3 19 .361 0 3 6/10
    2003 .264 47/45 163 38 43 6 0 6 25 .411 19 4 36 .349 3 5 6/10
    2004 .265 53/44 148 28 38 9 1 5 27 .432 23 7 43 .374 4 4 10/13
    Totals .265 134/115 419 89 111 21 1 15 65 .427 53 14 98 .361 7 12 22/33

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._uwbase01.html

By Terry Wood

Special to The Seattle Times

t wasn't the South Beach Diet, a new yoga posture, the conjunction of Venus and Neptune or an intervention orchestrated by Dr. Phil.

But something has flipped the switch for Washington senior right fielder Taylor Johnson. And after three relatively modest, though respectable, collegiate seasons, he's now putting up numbers that are borderline bodacious.

Johnson, a left-handed hitter from Skyview High School in Vancouver who boasts a career .265 average, leads the Huskies with a .350 average and is tops in hits (35), walks (18), on-base percentage (.467) and steals (11 in 14 attempts). He is second in runs batted in (25).

He'll be the leadoff hitter when Washington hosts USC (15-8, 1-2) in its conference home opener at 6:30 p.m. tonight at Husky Ballpark, where UW is 10-0 this season. The two teams meet again tomorrow and Sunday for 1 p.m. games.

Johnson's consistent stroke prompted Huskies coach Ken Knutson earlier this season to elevate Johnson from the No. 2 slot to the top of the order, and UW is 13-3 in games with Johnson batting leadoff.

"It's nice to get off to a good start this year," said Johnson, a former all-state high-school star who batted .508 in his junior year as a prep. "Until now I haven't had the level of success that I've wanted in college. I put a little too much pressure on myself these last few years."

Mechanically, the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Johnson says he has shortened his swing this season without sacrificing his ability to hit for power to any field. He's tied for the team lead in home runs, with six.

It's a new mental outlook, though, that Johnson credits most for sustaining his consistency.

"I'm a lot more confident this year," he said. "I have a better attitude, too. I've never been a guy who throws his helmet around after an out, but in the past if I make an out, I'd really get down on myself and it would show.

"Now I realize that I'm a good player and I can get it done. If I make an out, it's not the end of the world. It just took me four years to figure it out."
    A few tips from Frank Bartenetti, a UW fan and motivational speaker (and Knutson's former Little League coach), helped Johnson strengthen his mental game.

"He says success is all about having a good attitude, making good things happen for yourself," Johnson said. "I'm using that this year. I don't take batting practice as seriously as I used to do. I'm trying to be a little more laid back and have a good, positive approach.

"Baseball is a negative game. We fail more times than we succeed at the plate. So you start talking to yourself, getting down on yourself. But you've got to tell yourself that you'll get another at-bat, have another game. You've just got to try and stay positive."

Knutson, in his 13th season at UW, understands the mind-set.

"All baseball players want to be good, and they get in trouble when they try too hard," he said. "Maturity comes when they understand the ups and downs of the game so they don't lose their big-picture mentality.

"Taylor's been a real good player for us for four years, and he now knows more about his swing and has learned not to get frustrated."

Johnson spent the summer of 2003 playing in the Cape Cod League, a semipro showcase for top prospects, but found himself at odds with his team's coach.

"I don't think he liked West Coast guys," Johnson said.

So he stayed local last summer, joining UW teammates Tim Lincecum and Nick Batkoski on the Seattle Studs of the Pacific International League. Johnson batted .314 and was a second-team all-league pick.

"I don't know when it happened, but last summer something just clicked with my swing," he said. "Summer ball is nice. Coaches give us suggestions but not a lot of instruction. We make our own adjustments and just feel the game out, like we did when we were younger. You have a bad game, you just go play another game and work things out."

Johnson, who was drafted by Pittsburgh in the 39th round after his senior year in high school, went undrafted after his junior year at UW, the time when most top college players jump to the pros. He's hoping his productive senior year will put him on scouts' radar again.

"We all want to be All-Americans and top-round draft choices," he said. "But I have no regrets about going to college. I've had a lot of fun playing at UW. Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity to play professionally next year."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

28th round pick Judsen Smith, RHP Phoenix College

4-3 5.38 ERA 77 IP 85 hits 54 K 49 BB .280 AvgA

29th round pick RHP Kevin Haltiwanger Newberry College, SC

Pos.: P Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 170
    Hometown: Simpsonville, S.C.
    Previous School: Hillcrest HS
    Eligibility: Sr. Major: Sports Management

2004: 2004 preseason First Team All-South Atlantic Conference Selection … went 4-6 on the season … finished the season with the team lead in K’s with 58 … struck out 22 batters looking … recorded an outstanding 8.37 K’s per game … made 15 appearances in 2004 … finished the season with a 6.24 ERA … held opponents to a .272 BA … gave up only one HR in 2004 … led staff in innings pitched with 62.1 … pitched three complete games … picked off two runners during the season … had a 2.0 K/BB ratio … didn’t hold runners very well in 2004, as all 28 SB attempts with Haltiwanger on the hill reached safely … recorded a season high 10 K’s vs. SAC-rival Wingate on 4/3 … also went for a complete game in that contest … struck out nine vs. Lenoir-Rhyne in a complete game performance on 3/6. High School: Attended Hillcrest High School, played two years of varsity baseball … coached by David Davenport … 2002 All-State selection … named to 2002 All-Region as a senior … MVP of S.C. State All-Star game … played on one Region Championship team. Personal: Born April 21, 1984 … son of Roddy and Wanda Haltiwanger … also played on season of varsity golf while at Hillcrest … member of Newberry College’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes … is a serious Atlanta Brave fan … favorite food is crab legs … favorite athlete of all-time is Cal Ripken Jr. … father Roddy played baseball at Augusta State University and father’s cousin played baseball in the Chicago Cubs farm system.

4-2 3.29 ERA 52 IP 51 hits 59 K 25 BB 0 HR 11 WP

30th round pick C Mark Rodriguez, U Texas Pan American

.241/.268/.306 0 HR 18 RBI 1 for 1 in stolen base attempts

http://utpabroncs.collegesports.com/...060805aaa.html

June 8, 2005

University of Texas-Pan American senior Mark Rodriguez (San Antonio, TX/Howard J.C.) was selected in 30th round by the Cincinnati Reds in the 2005 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft on Wednesday (June 8).

"It really hasn't hit me yet," said Rodriguez. "I went to a couple of tryouts for them and performed pretty well, but it's still hard to believe that they were on the other line when I picked up the phone. It's been a long journey to get to this point, but it's a new beginning for me so hopefully I can make a career out of this."

"We are definitely excited for Mark and his family. He really worked hard and improved his skills during his time here. With the schedule that we played this past season, he was able to showcase his skills in front of a lot of scouts. Mark should be very proud of himself, and we wish him in the best of luck at the next level," said head baseball coach Willie Gawlik.

Rodriguez saw action at various positions, including first base, pitcher, catcher and designated hitter, during the 2005 campaign, but will primarily looked upon as a catcher in the Reds' organization. During the season, Rodriguez batted .241 in 32 games, collecting 27 hits in 112 plate appearances. He drove in 18 runs for the Broncs, which ranked him fourth on the squad, while plating 11 runs.

Rodriguez becomes the first UTPA player since Omar Ortiz in 1999 in the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft. Ortiz was the only UTPA player to ever get drafted in the first round when he was selected by San Diego that year. Rodriguez will report to Billings, MT, in the Rookie League with the Billings Mustangs.

31st round pick RHP Abraham Woody Baylor U.

Career Honors
    • 2004 Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Waco Tribune-Herald)
    • 2004 Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Big12Baseball.com)
    • 2004 Honorable Mention All-Big 12 Conference (coaches)
    • 2003 Freshman All-America (Collegiate Baseball)
    • 2003 Honorable Mention All-Big 12 Conference (coaches)

Baylor Career Records Book
    • 7th in relief appearances (53)
    • 6th in saves (8)
    • 9th in Big 12 appearances (23)
    • t-6th in Big 12 relief appearances (21)
    • 4th in Big 12 saves (4)
    • 3rd in Big 12 opponents' batting average (.240)

Summer 2004
    Appeared in four games for the Orleans Cardinals of the Cape Cod League before returning to Baylor for rehabilitation.

2004 (Sophomore)
    Started season as primary set-up man before taking over closer duties in early March ... Posted a 4-1 record with a 3.97 ERA and three saves in 22.2 innings in Big 12 play ... Big 12 ERA ranked eighth among relievers at Baylor ... Appeared in 14 Big 12 games, fifth in school history ... Big 12 saves total tied for fifth at Baylor ... Allowed 7.97 hits and 3.98 walks per nine innings in Big 12 play, sixth and eighth, respectively, among relievers in Baylor history ... Was 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA under the lights ... Did not allow an earned run in first six appearances ... Pitched 2.0 no-hit innings with a walk and one strikeout Feb. 14 against LMU ... Tossed 2.0 scoreless innings and allowed two hits with four consecutive strikeouts Feb. 17 against UTSA ... Allowed one hit and faced the minimum in 2.0 relief innings Feb. 21 doubleheader at Long Beach State ... Extended scoreless-innings streak to 7.1 with 2.0 innings March 6 against UC Irvine ... Entered game with two on and one out in bottom of ninth in Baylor's 8-7 victory at Texas A&M and induced a game-ending double play from only batter he faced to record first save of season ... Allowed two hits and two walks in 1.2 innings March 28 at Oklahoma ... Tossed 4.1 one-hit scoreless innings of relief with five strikeouts April 4 at Missouri to earn the win ... Earned the save April 13 against Sam Houston State ... Faced five batters in that game, inducing an eighth-inning-ending double play and striking out the side in the ninth ... Tossed 3.0 innings of no-hit relief with one strikeout to earn the win April 17 at top-ranked Texas ... Earned the victory in relief April 23 against Kansas ... Earned a save with 1.1 scoreless innings and three strikeouts April 27 at TCU ... Moved to 10-0 on Baylor career with a win in relief May 4 against Dallas Baptist with 2.0 one-hit innings ... Closed out all three games of the Nebraska series to pick up a win and a pair of saves.

Summer 2003
    Went 1-0 with an 0.77 ERA in 17 games for the Orleans Cardinals in the Cape Cod League ... Struck out 28 batters against 10 walks in 23.1 innings as Orleans finished second in the Eastern Division and won the Cape Cod championship.

2003 (Freshman)
    Threw 3.0 scoreless innings Feb. 4 against Texas State in his collegiate debut ... Earned first collegiate victory Feb. 8 at Arizona, pitching the final 4.0 innings of a 12-10, 10-inning win ... Hurled 4.1 shutout innings Feb. 15 against then-No. 2 Rice at the Minute Maid Park College Classic ... Earned a win Feb. 22 against then-No. 7 USC by pitching the final 2.0 innings of a 2-1, 12-inning victory ... Struck out six with one walk in 2.0 no-hit innings in closing out a 4-0 win Feb. 28 at UC Irvine ... Earned first save by tossing 2.0 shutout innings March 4 against UTA ... Pitched the final 2.0 innings and struck out the side in the ninth to earn a win March 7 against then-No. 8 Long Beach State ... Recorded a save in the Bears' conference opener March 14 against Texas Tech, striking out two in 2.0 shutout innings ... Earned the win March 21 against Oklahoma after entering a 5-5 game with no outs in the eighth and runners on second and third, and pitching out of the jam without allowing a run ... Pitched 4.0 innings in relief March 30 at Texas A&M, allowing just one run on one hit ... Went a career-long 5.2 innings in relief and tied his career high in strikeouts with six April 5 against Texas ... Made first career start April 12 at Oklahoma State ... Lasted 6.0 innings against OSU, giving up five earned runs but striking out five and earning a no-decision in a 16-11 Baylor win ... Improved record to 5-0 with 3.2 innings of relief April 27 against Kansas ... Held the Jayhawks to two unearned runs on two hits ... Picked up sixth win with 3.0 innings of relief April 30 against Houston ... Pitched the final 2.0 innings of a 6-2 Big 12 Tournament win May 24 against Nebraska that knocked the Huskers from the tournament ... Did not allow a hit or run in the game and earned the save ... Finished tied for sixth in the Big 12 in appearances.

Summer 2002
    Went 3-2 with five saves and a 1.50 ERA as the closer for Jayhawk League champion Hays ... Struck out 30 in 24.0 innings and held opponents to a .159 batting average.

2002 (Redshirt)
    Sat out season as a non-medical redshirt.

High School
    Played for coach John Langerhans at Round Rock High School in Round Rock, Texas ... Named all-state and first-team all-district as a senior and was team MVP ... In 2001, played in the all-state game and the Sun Belt Classic ... Honorable mention all-state selection as a designated hitter in 2000 ... Played for the Slam Senators during the summer of 2000, notching a 1-0 record with one save and a 1.68 ERA in 8.1 innings; the Senators went on to a fifth-place finish in the AAU National Tournament.

Personal
    Full name is Abe Sterling Woody ... Born Nov. 9, 1982, in Tulsa, Okla. ... Son of Sterling and Leigh Woody ... Cousin Chad Elsey earned two letters at Baylor on the men's basketball team ... Both parents and two of his grandparents also attended Baylor ... Majoring in sports management ... Lists Nolan Ryan as his favorite player.

Career Bests
    Innings: 6.0 at Oklahoma State (4/12/03)
    Long Start: 6.0 at Oklahoma State (4/12/03)
    Short Start: 1.0 vs. Missouri (4/19/03)
    Long Relief: 5.2 vs. Texas (4/5/03)
    Hits Allowed: 8 at Oklahoma State (4/12/03)
    Strikeouts: 6, twice
    Walks: 3 at Oklahoma State (4/12/03)
    Runs Allowed: 6, twice
    ER Allowed: 6 vs. Missouri (4/19/03)
    HR Allowed: 2 at Oklahoma State (4/12/03)

32nd round pick Catcher Christopher Denove UC Los Angeles

On Deck -- One of two team captains... Will handle UCLA's pitching staff as the Bruins' starting catcher. "We look for Chris to bring his experience and leadership to the core of our team," Savage said. "He's going to be one of our mainstays - if he goes, we go."

2004 (Summer) -- Won Northwoods League championship with the St. Cloud Riverbats, along with new teammate Eric Taylor... Hit three home runs.

2004 -- Appeared in 61 games, including starting 58 behind the plate... Pac-10 All-Academic selection... Appeared on Johnny Bench Award watch list... Pac-10 Honorable Mention... Named to the Oklahoma City All-Regional Team... Tied for team-high with 47 RBI... Third on the team with seven home runs... Posted 18 multiple hit games, along with 11 multiple RBI contests... Skilled defensively, allowed only 39 stolen bases on 76 attempts... Tied a career-high with four RBI in UCLA's third game of the season against Fresno State... Hit a walk-off home run in the 12th inning against UC Santa Barbara on March 2 for his first homer of the year... Knocked in three runs at USC, going 2-for-5 in the UCLA win on March 28... Provided the game-winning run with a two-run home run at Pepperdine on April 6... Had a tremendous weekend at California with two home runs and five RBI in the three-game series... Drove in the game-winning run against USC as UCLA completed a six-run comeback in the bottom of the ninth inning on May 2... Was 3-for-5 on the day against the Trojans... Went 3-for-4 with three RBI against Arizona on May 7... Hit his seventh home run of the season on Friday night in Seattle as UCLA defeated 14th-ranked Washington 3-1... Set a career-high with four hits at Oregon State on May 29, going 4-for-4 with two RBI, a home run and three runs scored... Went 3-for-3 with four RBI in UCLA's 17-7 win over Oklahoma in the NCAA Regional. 2003 (Summer) -- Played for the St. Cloud Riverbats of the Northwoods League... Helped lead the Riverbats to the league championship series... Was named to the Northwoods League All-Star Team... Hit a team-high .362 with 15 RBI and two home runs in 30 games of action.

2003 -- Appeared in 39 games from January 31 - April 17, starting all of them behind the plate... Missed the remainder of the season due to a broken collarbone suffered against Arizona State... Hit .319, which ranked fourth on the team, with six home runs and six doubles... Named to the All Pac-10 Academic Second Team... Honored by team with second-year academic award... Led UCLA to a 13-2 win over defending national champion Texas in the Kia Baseball Bash on February 28, going 3-for-5 with two runs and a career-high four RBI... Hit .538 (7-for-13) in the Bruins' opening series against Cal State Northridge, with five RBI, five runs scored and his first collegiate home run... Was 5-for-12 (.416) with two doubles against Hawaii, driving in six runs over three games... Posted a seven-game hitting streak from March 28 - April 11... Had 13 multiple hit games and seven multiple RBI contests.

2002 (Summer) -- Played for the St. Cloud Riverbats of the Northwoods League... Hit .288 with 14 RBI and one home run... Led St. Cloud to a second-place finish in the Northwoods North Division.

2002 -- Redshirted.

2001 (Summer) -- Helped Agoura American Legion team to runner-up finish at Northwest Regional tournament... Hit home runs in each of the tournament's five games... Finished the summer hitting a torrid .485 with 19 homers and 62 RBI.

Agoura HS (Agoura Hills) -- Four-year letterwinner in baseball and two-year letterwinner in football for head coaches Zack Miller and Charlie Wegher, respectively... Had an outstanding career in both sports... All-league catcher in sophomore and senior seasons, and team captain senior year... 2001 stats: hit .384 with six homers and 30 RBI, only allowed eight stolen bases on 33 attempts... Was a record-setting quarterback in his final two years for the football team... Earned numerous team awards, including Captain (all four years), Outstanding Leader (three times), and Offensive MVP senior season... Led Agoura Hills to CIF semifinals in fall 2000, breaking all of the school's single-season passing marks... Selected to Los Angeles Times all-area team, and also earned all-CIF and all-league first-team selections.

Personal -- Full Name: Christopher Scott Denove... Born on December 9, 1982 in Westlake... Parents are Thomas and Beverly Denove... Has a brother, Bryan and a sister, Holly... Father and aunt attended UCLA... Chose to come to UCLA because of the great academics and great baseball program... Favorite UCLA road trip memory is beating Oklahoma at Oklahoma in front of 8,000 Sooner fans... Roots for the Atlanta Braves... Mathematics of Computation major.

.227/.278/.289 0 HR 22 RBI 15 BB

34th round pick LHP Brandon Camardese U of Miami (FL)

At Miami
    Brandon Camardese has started more games for Miami over the past two seasons than any other pitcher with 35 ... known as "Dice" to his teammates, the left-hander has a fastball that touches 90 mph to compliment an excellent cutter and an effective changeup ... is expected to be one of Miami's three weekend starters ... has filled the Sunday role in the rotation for the past two seasons ... went 6-3 with a 4.20 ERA in 90 innings of work in 2004 ... posted a 9-2 record and a 5.00 ERA in 88 innings in 2003 ... made 13 appearances with one start in his first collegiate season in 2002 ... had a 7.18 ERA and an 0-3 record in 26.1 innings pitched ... was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the seventh round of the 2001 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft ... his first collegiate appearance, as well as first start, came at FIU on Feb. 6, 2002 ... did not play summer ball in 2004 ... pitched in the Cape Cod League for the Orleans Cardinals in the summer of 2003 ... went 3-1 with a 1.08 ERA for the Cardinals in six starts over 33.1 innings, striking out 26 ... should compete for All-America and All-ACC honors in 2005.

Junior (2004)
    Camardese finished the season with a 6-3 record and a 4.20 ERA in 90 innings ... opponents batted .239 against the left-hander who issued 42 walks while striking out 63 ... started 17 games ... struggled to throw strikes with four walks in just over two innings in his first start of the season ... pitched 2.0 official innings, allowing four hits and two runs ... took a no decision as the Hurricanes bats exploded for 19 runs and 23 hits ... Camardese came out much more aggressive against Tennessee, controlling the game from the start ... scattered six hits and two runs over six innings, while striking out three and walking only one ... shut down LaSalle on Feb. 28 in Homestead, scattering three hits over five innings and holding the Explorers scoreless ... pitched four ineffective innings in a no decision against Elon on March 7 ... allowed three runs on five hits, but walked three, hit two batters and uncorked one wild pitch ... earned a no decision with four innings of work against Rutgers ... allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits and struck out four ... turned in an outstanding performace against Penn State on March 27 in the second game of a double header ... three seven innings allowing only one hit and no runs while striking out three ... pitched just 2.2 innings and allowed seven runs on seven hits at Georgia Tech ... produced maybe the best performance of his career by pitching seven innings at Florida State on April 11 and allowing only one hit ... took a no-hitter into the seventh inning versus the Seminoles ... lasted only 2.2 innings at home against FSU ... gave up five runs on five hits to absorb his first loss of the season ... gave up only two runs (one earned) on four hits while striking out a season-best six ... pitched 6.1 innings against Virginia ... tied his career high with five walks ... lasted five innings against Coastal Carolina and allowed five runs on six hits ... earned the win against Jacksonville with 5.1 innings ... allowed two runs on four hits and struck out six ... took the loss but pitched extremely well against North Carolina on May 16 ... surrendered six runs on nine hits while striking out five and walking one ... allowed only one run on four hits in 7.2 innings ... went seven innings against Ball State ... held the Cardinals to one run on six hits and struck out three ... lasted only five innings against Long Beach State. 2004 NCAA Coral Gables Regional: Camardese pitched a career best 8.2 innings with a season-high seven strike outs against St. Bonaventure on June 4 ... named to the All-Tournament team for his performance. Did not pitch in the Coral Gables Super Regional after the Hurricanes swept the first to games to advance. 2004 College World Series: Camardese struggled in 1.1 innings of work against South Carolina ... allowed four runs on two hits but walked three after facing just nine hitters.

Sophomore (2003)
    Camardese finished the 2003 season with a 9-2 record and a 5.01 ERA in 88 innings of work ... struck out 64 batters on the season ... he went over a year between losses (May 12, 2002 at Georgia Tech through June 1, 2003 vs. Florida) ... won his first career game in a Miami uniform against Campbell on Feb. 7 ... pitched five inning and allowed only two hits and one run, while striking out eight ... earned a no decision against San Diego State with 5.1 innings and only one run on five hits ... won his second game of the season with five innings of four-hit baseball ... he allowed only one run for his third straight start ... picked up the first road win of his career at Tennessee to move to 3-0 on the season, throwing a career-high 6.1 innings ... won his third straight game (4-0 on the season), allowing two hits and one run over five innings ... started and pitched two innings against Harvard ... turned in his worst outing of the season, allowing four hits and eight runs (seven earned) in one inning of work ... continued to struggle with his control in 4.2 innings against Oral Roberts on Sunday, April 6, giving up six runs on seven hits, while striking out two and walking two ... bounced back with a career-high 6.2 innings against Virginia on Saturday, April 12th, giving up seven hits and one earned run (two runs) ... pitched 5.2 innings at Florida State, allowing three runs on seven hits to move to 6-0 on the season ... continued to dominate, throwing five innings and allowing only three hits and no runs ... lasted only three innings, while surrendering seven runs on seven hits ... pitched the first complete game of his career, allowing seven hits and two runs, while tying a career high with eight strikeouts ... turned in the best performance of his career at fourth-ranked Long Beach State on May 23rd ... pitched a career-high eight innings and held the Dirtbags to one run on eight hits, while striking out six and walking only one to improve to 9-0 on the season. 2003 NCAA Coral Gables Regional: Allowed eight runs (seven earned) over 3.1 innings against Florida ... walked three and struck out only one to pick up his first loss of the season. 2003 NCAA Coral Gables Super Regional: Pitched brilliantly against North Carolina State, allowing two runs on one hit in five innings, but failed to earn a decision. 2003 College World Series: Suffered his second loss of the season as the Hurricanes were eliminated from the CWS, 5-1, by Texas ... lasted 4.1 innings, giving up three runs on three hits, striking out two and walking four.

Freshman (2002)
    Allowed 40 hits, 22 runs (21 earned), 12 walks and 20 strikeouts...allowed one or zero runs in seven of his 13 appearances...had one inning of scoreless relief in his last appearance of the regular season in game No. 3 vs. New York Tech...threw a season-high 4.2 innings and six strikeouts in UM's 9-7 loss to FIU on 5/2...went 0.2 innings in game No. 3 at North Carolina allowing no runs with one hit...in 4.0 innings of game No. 3 vs. Long Beach State allowed seven hits, two earned runs, two walks and three strikeouts...in game No. 1 vs. Florida State in Coral Gables, pitched 3.0 scoreless innings with two strikeouts...pitched 2.1 innings in game No. 1 at FSU allowing five hits, four earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts...allowed an earned run on two hits in 2.0 innings of game No. 2 vs. Elon...his lone start came in his debut at FIU on 2/6...took the loss vs. the Golden Panthers after going 4.0 innings with four runs allowed...did not play in the NCAA Regional. 2002 NCAA Columbia Super Regional: Saw 3.0 innings of relief in game No. 1 vs. South Carolina, allowing five hits and three earned runs with three walks and one strikeout.

Chaminade-Madonna Prep
    Coached by Matt Aker...three-year varsity letterwinner...drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the seventh round...finished his high school career by being named to the All-County team, as well as third-team All-State...was an honorable mention All-American...has toured several Caribbean countries playing in Mexico, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico...attended the same school as UM teammate Vince Vazquez. Senior year, 2001: Named team MVP...went 8-3 with a 0.97 ERA in 77 innings...had 79 strikeouts...was a first-team All-Dade pick by the Miami Herald. Junior year, 2000: Went 5-2 with a 2.15 ERA in 60 innings with 55 strikeouts. Sophomore year, 1999: Went 4-3 with a 4.01 ERA in 49 innings with 50 strikeouts.

Personal
    Born July 2, 1983...full name is Brandon William Camardese...son of MaryAnn and David Camardese...has two brothers Jason, (19) and Kevin, (15)...plans on majoring in finance.

Camardese's Career Bests
    Innings Pitched: 8.2 vs. St. Bonaventure, 6/8/04
    Hits: 9 vs. Long Beach State, 5/29/04
    Earned Runs: 7 (three), last vs. Georgia Tech, 4/4/04
    Walks: 5 (twice), last at Florida State, 4/26/03
    Strikeouts: 8 (twice), last vs. Savannah State, 5/16/03

6-0 5.17 ERA 55.2 IP 61 hits 20 BB 42 K .272 AvgA

35th round pick 3B Angel Colon Iowa Wesleyan College

.250/.413/.339 3 HR 21 RBI 11 BB 3 for 3 stolen bases

41st round pick Justin Tordi SS University of Florida

AS A SOPHOMORE (2004): The Gators' starting shortstop, he joined first baseman C.J. Smith as the only UF players to start all 65 games…Batted .302 with 41 runs batted in, 36 runs, 14 doubles and four homers…Produced 18 multiple-hit games and had five multiple-RBI outings…Led the Southeastern Conference with 235 assists and was part of 54 double plays…The assist total was the third-highest in school history…Established Florida sophomore records for assists, double plays and sacrifice bunts (nine)…Did not commit an error over the final 23 games of the season, handling a total of 121 chances…Rated second in the SEC behind Vanderbilt's Ryan Klosterman (.975) with a .963 fielding percentage after being charged with 13 errors in 355 chances…Hit by a pitch nine times to finish one plunking behind classmate Stephen Barton for the team lead…Batted .265 in SEC play and was fourth on UF with 19 RBI against conference opponents…Ranked second on the squad with a .339 clip in non-league games and drove in 22 runs…Contributed at least one hit in seven of UF's nine postseason contests…Plated two runs with a two-bagger in the opener of the NCAA Super Regional at Miami (Fla.) on June 12…Turned in a .375 (3-for-8) showing at the NCAA Oklahoma City Regional, scored three times and drew three walks…Doubled and came across during 12-1 romp over Central Connecticut State to begin the event…Poked an RBI double and scored during the 7-0 win over Georgia in Birmingham, Ala…Went 2-for-4 versus No. 5 LSU in the Gators' 5-4 upset of the Bayou Bengals to begin the SEC Tournament…Delivered a pair of hits and contributed an RBI and run in the 3-2 edging of Florida State on May 12…Helped the Orange and Blue take two of three games at Alabama by going 5-for-11 (.455)…Matched a season-high with four RBI in 22-8 conquest of Auburn on May 2…Went 2-for-4 and scored in game two of the Vanderbilt series…Ripped a pair of hits in victory over Mississippi State on April 17…Socked a homer and was 2-for-3 in setback at No. 7 South Carolina on April 11, two days after recording the second-most assists (10) in school history…Put together a career-best 13-game hitting streak between March 13-April 4, which was the third-longest on the team in 2004…Batted .340 (18-for-53) during the skein…Belted a solo shot against Georgia and was walked intentionally by the Dawgs on April 3…Launched a double in the 7-6 thriller over FSU on the final day of March…Hit .375 (6-for-16) during the road sweep at Kentucky over March 26-28 and managed two hits in every game…Totaled four RBI and three doubles against the Wildcats…Stroked game-winning single to defeat Arkansas, 7-6, on March 21 to take the rubber match of the series…Opened the set with the Razorbacks by going 2-for-4 and scoring twice…Roped three hits in four at bats during 8-7 squeaker over Purdue on March 5…Socked first dinger of the campaign in 3-for-5, three-RBI outing at Stetson…Drove in four runs and had three hits against Michigan on Feb. 25…Drew two walks and scored twice in one-run loss to Miami (Ohio)…Chipped in with three hits, two runs and an RBI versus Gardner-Webb on Feb. 8…Singled and scored in UF's season opener, a 14-0 mauling of G-W.

AS A FRESHMAN (2003): Played in 53 games and made 52 starts…Drew 49 starts at shortstop and three at third base…Batted .269 overall as a rookie, scored 34 runs and tallied 23 RBI…Compiled a slugging percentage of .401…His 10 doubles ranked sixth on the Gators…Launched four home runs…Recorded 11 multiple-hit games and knocked in two or more runs five times…Hit by a pitch nine times, the second-highest total behind Brian Rose (18)…Registered a .955 fielding percentage, with 11 errors in 246 chances…Did not commit a miscue in his first 11 games as a collegian, covering 43 chances…Season-best hitting streak was five games, between March 8-14…Scored a run in six-consecutive games from Feb. 19-March 1…Came across the plate twice or more in a game eight times…Turned in a .244 ledger in SEC play, but had a hit in 13 of his 24 league games…Collected three runs batted in during series win at home versus Kentucky over May 16-18 and laced his first triple…Credited with a team-high nine assists in 5-4 decision over Siena to complete a two-game sweep…Delivered three hits and drove in a couple of runs in 11-1 rout of the Saints…Certainly did his part in 14-inning epic against South Florida on Feb. 25, as Tordi was 5-for-8 during the 13-12 Gator triumph…Scored three runs, smacked two doubles and had two RBI…His 10 total bases against the Bulls were the second-most of any player…Cranked first homer in 10-9 win over Charleston Southern on Feb. 12 and finished 3-for-5 with three runs…Went 1-for-4, scored and had an RBI in his collegiate debut against Mercer on Feb. 7.

SUMMER: Competed in the prestigious Cape Cod League for the Hyannis (Mass.) Mets in 2004…Saw time in 21 games and batted .160 (12-for-75) with eight RBI and a couple of doubles…Joined former Gator teammates Ben Harrison and Jonathan Tucker on the Mets in '03…Helped lead Hyannis to a 21-19-4 record by starting 43 games, the second-most on the team…Batted .184, scored 13 runs, had 11 RBI…Also poked four doubles and was 4-of-5 on the basepaths…Fielded .957 with just eight errors in 188 chances, mostly at shortstop…Led the team with eight sacrifice bunts…Member of Junior National USA Team that won bronze medal at the World Championships in 2002…Batted .371 at the event and tied for second-most doubles in the tournament's history with six…Played for Team Florida USA in the Perfect Game Showcase…Squad took home the USA Junior Olympic National Championship and was ranked No. 1 by Baseball America…Played in the All-American Showcase…Member of 2001 Team Florida USA which was the USA Baseball Junior Olympic National Champion and the Continental Amateur Baseball Association (CABA) High School World Series winner…Selected to play for the 2000 USA Baseball Youth Junior National Team that claimed the gold medal at the CABA World Series.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2002 graduate of Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla., where he was a four-year letterwinner for head coach Mike Barefoot…Ranked as one of the nation's top-200 recruits by Team One Baseball…Named all-state in Class 6A and collected all-metro and all-conference accolades…Set Dr. Phillips' single-season home run record with eight taters as a junior…Named as the team's Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year…Selected to the state high school all-tournament team…Also earned varsity letters in basketball and volleyball.

.242/.342/.314 4 HR 31 RBI 15 BB 54 K

42nd round pick John Axford RHP University of Notre Dame

Fireballing senior hoping for return to action after missing all of '04 season while recovering from "Tommy John" reconstructive elbow surgery (Dec., 2003) ... showed tremendous attitude and work ethic during rehabilitation ... expected to make full recovery for '05 season ... will have the option of applying for a fifth year of eligibility in '06 ... tireless worker who leads by example and is expected to be key veteran for '05 staff ... made big strides in his delivery and throwing from a more controlled arm-slot during limited '04 fall and winter workouts ... hoping to follow success stories of recent ND pitchers Danny Tamayo and Grant Johnson, who both returned from injury with a high level of production and success ... Tamayo missed sophomore season in '99 (elbow) before returning in '00 and then having a 1st team all-BIG EAST season in '01 (when he was a 10th-round draft pick of the Kansas City Royals) ... Johnson also missed his sophomore season ('03; shoulder surgery) and was eased back into action during impressive '04 season (1st team all-BIG EAST) before signing with Chicago Cubs as 2nd-round pick ... rated by Baseball America/Perfect Game as No. 145 draft-eligible college prospect for '05 season ... BA's season preview for the '05 season listed him as the BIG EAST's No. 6 overall prospect (4th among draft-eligible players), behind St. John's closer Craig Hansen, Pittsburgh 2B Jim Negrych ('06 draft-eligible), ND sophomore RHP Jeff Manship ('06), St. John's RHP Anthony Varvaro and Rutgers OF Johnny Defendis ... two ND juniors - OF Craig Cooper (60th) and closer Ryan Doherty (90th) - also were on the Sept. '04 PG/BA prospect list (they were not included on BA preview list of league's top-10 prospects) ... made some major progress in mechanics and command during '03 fall workouts, prior to injury ... known for electric set of pitches, with a fastball that has pushed into high-90s and hard-breaking curveball ... has classic pitcher's body (6-6, 190 pounds) ... compiled strong freshman season (3.95 ERA, 5-2 record, 64 strikeouts in 70.2 innings) that was overshadowed by huge postseason wins from his classmates Johnson and Chris Niesel - before starting 9-0 in '03 ... able to induce timely double-play groundballs ... opted to join Notre Dame program, despite being selected by Seattle Mariners in 7th round of '01 Major League draft ... projectable pitcher whose talent ceiling played large part in high draft status ... first two seasons with the Irish included 4.13 ERA and 14-5 record in 31 appearance (25 starts, 133 Ks, 109 walks, 122 hits, .238 opp. batting, 21 wild pitches, 11 hit batters in 141.2 IP) ... one of five Notre Dame '02 freshmen invited to play in prestigious Cape Cod League ... had challenging '02 summer with Hyannis Mets (7.17, 0-3, 12 GP/2 GS, SV, 21.1 IP, 21 H, 30 BB, 25 Ks) but went on to be rated by BA as No. 29 prospect in '03 CCL ... trained with Canadian National Team in summer of '03 before joining CCL's Cotuit Kettleers (1-0, 9.00, 7 GP, 9 IP, 4 H, 16 BB, 8 Ks) ... winning pitcher for Gold in decisive third game (3-2) of '01 Blue-Gold fall intrasquad series (5 IP, 2 R, 5 H, BB, 2 WP, 5 Ks) ... 17th Notre Dame pitcher ever to post 12-plus Ks in a game (12, vs. Western Michigan in '03) and 4th to do so since 1980, joining Darin Schmalz (`96) and current Major Leaguers Brad Lidge (`98) and Aaron Heilman (three times, '00-'01) - with Niesel and Tom Thornton adding 12-K games in '04 ... joined fellow RHP Tyler Jones as ND's two signees in '01 spring period ... latest in string of talented "late signees" for the Irish, with that group including pitchers Lidge and Tim Kalita and position players Jeff Wagner and Brant Ust ... made up for lack of varsity baseball at his high school by playing with Port Dover club, Team Ontario and Team Canada ... gained valuable experience playing throughout Canada, the U.S. and Dominican Republic ... third player from outside the 50 states (second Ontario native) among 800-plus all-time ND baseball monogram winners ... 2B and Ottawa native Robert Hoag lettered with the '39 Irish team while CF Joseph Ridge (Margarita, Canal Zone) lettered from '51-'53 ... posted 3.28 GPA in '04 spring semester (3.20 in fall of `04).

AS A JUNIOR: Missed entire 2004 season after undergoing reconstructive elbow surgery in December of 2003.

AS A SOPHOMORE: Turned in impressive start to 2003 season, posting 9-0 record and 2.21 ERA before late struggles ... tied Niesel for team lead in victories (9-3), 2nd in strikeouts (69) and games started (13), 3rd in innings (71.0) ... slipped to 4.31 final ERA (50 BB, 63 H, .245 opp. batting, 14 WP, 5 HB in 15 GP) ... his average of 8.75 Ks per 9 IP ranked 2nd on staff ... tied Niesel for team lead with 26 Ks "looking" ... ranked 4th on staff for lowest opp. batting with runners on (.238) while his average of 8.0 hits allowed per 9 IP was 5th-best ... opened with win over Newman, at ASU (6 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 BB, K; 15-5) ... followed with strong no-decision vs. Wake Forest at Minnesota Metrodome (7 IP, 4 H, R, 2 BB, 4 Ks, 2 DPs; 2-1 in 13) ... posted wins in Jacksonville over Navy (5 IP, 6 H, 3 R/2 ER, BB, 7 Ks; 7-3) and Creighton (6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 8 Ks; 10-3) ... continued string of eight straight winning starts at Villanova (5 IP, 2 H, R, 4 BB, 7 Ks; 3-2) and at home vs. Georgetown (6 IP, 3 H, 2 R/1 ER, 5 BB, 8 Ks; 13-3) ... set Eck Stadium record for strikeouts by an ND pitcher, punching out 12 Western Michigan batters in 12-1 win (7 IP, R, 6 H, 104 pitches) ... kept rolling with home wins over Central Michigan (7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 4 Ks; 8-3), Seton Hall (6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 5 BB, 2 Ks; 9-3) and UConn (6 IP, 4 H, R, 6 BB, 6 Ks; 11-4), before losses to potent West Virginia squad and other top BIG EAST squads Virginia Tech and Rutgers ... pitched in relief at BIG EAST Tournament, vs. Rutgers (2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R/4 ER, 7 BB, 3 Ks; 11-15).

AS A FRESHMAN: Rode rollercoaster 2002 season that ended with 3.95 ERA and 5-2 record in 17 appearances ... five of 12 starts came as No. 1 starter of a tournament or series ... totaled 64 Ks (third on staff) in 70.2 innings (59 BB, 59 H, 7 WP, 6 HB) ... held opponents to .231 batting, best among Irish pitchers with 25-plus innings ... touched for just one home run (324 batters) ... served up 18 double-play balls (most on staff), with 1.53 ratio of groundouts to flyouts (second-best) ... averaged 8.15 Ks and allowed just 7.01 hits (second-best on staff) per 9 IP ... made first appearance in relief at New Orleans (4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 6 BB, K; 7-8) ... had six Ks to beat Creighton in first start, as all-tournament pick at Irish Baseball Classic in San Antonio (6-2; 7 IP, 4 H, 2 UER) ... racked up 9 Ks to win 12-3 game at Georgetown (6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB) ... added another BIG EAST win vs. St. John's (6.1 IP, 3 H, R, 6 BB, 5 Ks; 4-1), followed by no-decision vs. Pittsburgh (5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks; 12-2) and 9-4 win at Seton Hall (7.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 6 BB, 7 Ks) ...overcame 5 walks, 3 hit batters and poor defense (3 UER) for solid start vs. Arizona State (4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 Ks; 9-4) ... picked up key 8-1 win over Villanova (4.2 IP, 3 H, R, 7 BB, K) ...logged 3.0 innings as starter in decisive 3-2 win over Rutgers at BIG EAST Tournament (3 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 3 Ks) ... had impressive 4.2-inning stint to keep Irish in game during 12-5 loss at Florida State in game-2 of NCAA Super Regional (3 H, R, 4 BB, 5 Ks) ... FSU's famous fan section, "The Animals," unknowingly serenaded him with their customary rendition of "Oh, Canada" in 7th inning ... pitched in season-ending 5-3 loss to Stanford at College World Series (1.1 IP, 2 BB, K).

PREP & PERSONAL: One of Canada's top prospects while playing for club and national teams (Assumption College Prep does not sponsor baseball) ... ranked by BA and Toronto Star as Canada's top prep prospect for '01 Major League draft, before being selected in 7th round by Seattle Mariners ... his four-year career stats with Port Dover, Team Ontario and Team Canada: 37-12, 1.88 ERA in 278 IP (432 Ks, 173 BB; 14 Ks, 5.6 BB per 9 IP; 2.5 K-to-BB ratio) ... combined '01 stats: 11-2, 1.31, 124 Ks, 42 BB in 75.6 IP ... went 10-1 in '00 with Port Dover Midgets and Team Ontario (1.46, 68 IP, 118 Ks, 45 BB) ... posted 10-3 combined record and 1.24 ERA in '99 with Port Dover and Team Ontario Jr.'s (65 IP, 101 Ks, 46 BB) ... split 12 decisions with Port Dover Bantams in '98 (3.52, 69 IP, 89 Ks, 40 BB) ... invited to Team Canada Spring Training ('01) ... member of '01 Team Canada Youth Team ... posted save with Team Canada ('01) at Disney Sports Center in Orlando, for games vs. pro rookie-level teams ... won decision vs. Team USA during summer of '01 (Joplin, Mo.) ... competed in Dominican Republic vs. teams from Dominican Summer League, posting 1-1 record ... member of Team Ontario 18 that placed 5th at '01 NABF World Series ... played on 2000 Team Ontario squad that claimed bronze at Canadian National Championships and silver at NABF World Series ... closing pitcher for Team Ontario in wins that clinched '99 and '00 Provincial Championships ... participated in Chicago White Sox Area Code tryouts ... invited to 2000 Team One Showcase (at ND) ... helped lead Port Dover to three Provincial titles ... member of 2000 Port Dover team that was named "Team of the Year" by Baseball Ontario ... four-time all-star at Southern Counties All-Star Game ... Port Dover's '98 minor player of the year ... participated in high school volleyball, badminton and track and field ... set school high jump record as a junior ... played hockey for 12 years as a defenseman (until sophomore year) ... honor student and member of student government cabinet ... born April 1, 1983, in Simcoe, Ontario ... son of Brian and Vera Axford ... full name is John Berton Axford ... a film, television and theatre major, enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters.

http://und.collegesports.com/sports/...060805aab.html

June 8, 2005

Notre Dame senior righthanded pitcher John Axford (Port Dover, Ontario) was selected in Wednesday's second and final day of the 2005 Major League draft, as a 42nd-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds. Axford joins senior first baseman Matt Edwards - a 16th-round selection of the Philadelphia Phillies - as the latest members of Notre Dame's top-ranked 2002 freshman class who have been selected in the MLB draft (three others were drafted and signed as juniors, in 2004).

The 11-year Paul Mainieri era at Notre Dame now has produced 42 players who have been drafted or signed free-agent contracts.

Axford was a 7th-round draft pick of the Seattle Mariners in the 2001 MLB draft before opting to play for Notre Dame. He ranked among the top Irish pitchers in the 2002 and '03 seasons but was sidelined by an elbow injury for the entire 2004 season. The 6-foot-6, 190-pounder was eased back into action this season but suffered a midseason setback due to a shoulder injury, ultimately logging just 3.0 innings in five appearances during the 2005 season.

The Canadian National Team product owns a 4.48 career ERA and 14-6 record in three seasons of action with the Irish, totaling 137 strikeouts, 118 walks and 125 hits allowed (.238 opponent batting average) in 144.2 innings and 36 appearances, with 26 starts. He won his first nine decisions of the 2003 season and owned a 2.21 season ERA at that point before finishing '03 as the staff's co-leader in victories (9-3), also ranking second on the team in strikeouts (69) and third in innings pitched (71.0; plus a 4.31 final ERA, 50 BB and 63 H/.245).

Axford also was a key member of the Irish staff during the 2002 College World Series season, posting a 3.95 ERA and 5-2 record while making 12 starts in his 17 appearances (70.2 IP, 64 Ks, 59 BB, 59 H/.231). Current major-leaguer Aaron Heilman (.198, in '98) and Larry Mohs (.201, in '94) are the only Notre Dame freshmen to compile a better opponent batting average than Axford's .231 (since '91) while his 70.2 innings rank as the 6th-most ever by an ND freshman.

His junior season in 2003 included a 12-strikeout game vs. Western Michigan, setting the Eck Stadium record for most Ks by a Notre Dame pitcher.

Axford pitched in the prestigious Cape Cod League during the summers of 2002 (Hyannis Mets) and 2003 (Cotuit Kettleers), when he also trained with the Canadian National Team.

Edwards - who missed most of the '02 season due to a broken leg - and Axford both have a year of eligibility remaining, due to their respective seasons lost to injury.

Three of their classmates were drafted and signed following the 2004 season: RHP Grant Johnson (2nd round, Chicago Cubs), third baseman Matt Macri (5th round, Colorado Rockies) and RHP Chris Niesel (9th round, Cleveland Indians).

Johnson is slated to make his professional debut on Thursday for the Peoria Chiefs of the single-A Midwest League. That game will be played at Peoria's O'Brien Field versus a Benoit Snappers team that features one of Johnson's former Notre Dame teammates, catcher Javi Sanchez, who recently was named to the Midwest League all-star team.

Axford is the first Notre Dame player in more than 35 years to be drafted by the Reds, dating back to the 1969 season when RHP Nick Furlong was Cincinnati's 5th-round selection. Three years earlier, the Reds had picked Notre Dame LHP Dan McGinn in the 1st round of the 1966 January secondary phase draft. Former ND catcher Mark Mapes was a 50th-round pick of the Reds out of high school while former Irish football quarterback Carlyle Holiday was Cincinnati's 44th-round pick in 2003 (he never played baseball at ND and never signed with the Reds).

Edwards is the first active Notre Dame baseball player to be selected by the Phillies, in the 41-year history of the MLB draft. Incoming shortstop Steve Verduzco was a 5th-round pick of the Phillies in 1991 before joining the Notre Dame program.

47th round pick Matt Garrett CF Grand Rapids Community College

.353/.480/.472 2 homeruns 17 RBI 17 BB 17 K 20 for 21 in stolen bases

17th round pick David Wilson LHP Lander University

GREENWOOD----Left-handed pitcher David Wilson became the first-ever Lander University baseball player to be selected in the Major League Baseball draft when he was taken Tuesday in the seventeenth round by the Cincinnati Reds.

Wilson, who was one of 10 pitchers selected by the Reds on the first day of the draft, will sign with Reds' representatives next week in Greenwood. Then he will learn whether he will be assigned to the GCL Reds in Sarasota, Fla. or the Billings Mustangs in Billings, Mont.

During his senior year, Wilson, Lander’s 2003-04 Male Athlete of the Year, had a 9-6 record. He struck out 77 batters and posted a 3.83 ERA in 101 innings pitched.

Wilson is a two-time All-Peach Belt Conference and All-South selection.

During his four-year career, Wilson had a 27-17 record. In 323.2 innings, he struck out 297 batters.

Wilson holds Lander school career records for wins, strikeouts and complete games.

*Kyle Fernandes, a 6-0, 185-pound left-handed pitcher who signed a National Letter of Intent with Lander during the spring, was drafted in the 12th round by the Boston Red Sox. Fernandes played at Massasoit Community College in Massachusetts.

16th round pick Jason Vecchio RHP Texas San Antonio

Made 12 appearances for the Roadrunners, starting three contests...Picked up first collegiate win with five solid innings against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on April 28...Scattered four hits in the outing, allowing just one run and fanning two...Tossed 2.1 scoreless innings against Army on Feb. 22...Posted a season-long 5.2 inning outing against Sam Houston State on May 15...Finished the season 1-2 with a 9.60 ERA in 30 innings of work.

Made 12 appearances on the mound as a true freshman including two starts...Was 0-2 on the season with a 12.00 ERA...Pitched a season-best 3.1 innings in his first start against then defending national champion Texas...Recorded a season-high three strikeouts against the Longhorns on Feb. 18...Also notched three K’s against Texas-Pan American on April 23.

High School
    A two-year letterman from Pearland High School...Went 11-1 with a 0.98 ERA during his senior season...Garnered all-district, all-greater area and all-state honors...Led the Oilers to a 30-9 finish in his final year.

Personal
    Full name is Jason Thomas Vecchio...Born April 7, 1984...Son of Judy and Bob Vecchio...Major is kinesiology.

2-4 6.12 ERA 7 saves 32.1 IP 29 hits 17 BB 29 K

SAN ANTONIO – Jason Vecchio found out on Tuesday afternoon that a mid-90's mph fastball just might be the ticket to a career in professional baseball. Vecchio, a junior right-hander on The University of Texas at San Antonio baseball team, was selected in the 16th round of the 2005 Major League Baseball first-year player draft by the Cincinnati Reds organization.

"It was a little surprising to be picked in the 16th round. I got called in the seventh and eighth rounds, but it wasn't until the 16th when I was picked. I am still excited though, and I like the Reds a lot," he said. "I didn't really care which team picked me."

Vecchio, a product of Pearland (Texas) High School, becomes the 12th Roadrunner player since 1994 to be drafted, with several other Roadrunners also in the professional ranks via free agent deals. With another day left in the draft tomorrow, UTSA head coach Sherman Corbett was happy to see interest in the Roadrunner program, which just recently competed in its first NCAA Regional since 1994, and looks for a few players names to pop up tomorrow.

"We are all definitely excited for Jason, and we'll see now what he decides to do. I think he was hoping maybe he would be drafted somewhere in the first 10 rounds or so," said Corbett. "It's nice to see that there is some interest in our players and our program, and hopefully we'll see a few more players drafted tomorrow."

Vecchio was the 12th pick of the 16th round and the 482nd overall pick as action in the draft concluded after the 18th round today. He becomes the fifth Roadrunner player selected by the Reds in the draft since 2000 and the seventh UTSA player to be drafted or signed by the Queen City team since 1994 when Paul Runyon signed as a free agent.

On the year, Vecchio produced a 2-4 record with a 6.14 ERA along with 29 punch-outs in 32.1 innings of work. He also tallied a team-high seven saves and now ranks third in career saves at UTSA.

Vecchio began the season as a starter, making three mound appearances in the first month as a starter, but he quickly found a role as the Roadrunners' closer. Entering his third year after spending the first two as a spot reliever, Vecchio recorded his first career save on March as the Roadrunners knocked off Oral Roberts in the Alamo City Irish Baseball Classic at Wolff Stadium.

He began the year with an 0-3 record but picked up his first win in a 11-10 comeback win at Texas State on March 25. He also picked up saves in conference wins over Louisiana-Monroe, Texas State, Sam Houston, Nicholls State. In helping UTSA claim its first Southland Conference Tournament title since 1994, he recorded saves against Texas State and Lamar on consecutive days.

14th round pick Michael Griffin 2B Baylor

Career Honors
    • 2005 Preseason Third-Team All-America (Collegiate Baseball)
    • 2004 Larry Isbell Baylor Most Valuable Player Award
    • 2004 First-Team CoSIDA Academic All-District VI
    • 2004 First-Team Academic All-Big 12 Conference
    • 2004 Honorable Mention All-Big 12 Conference (coaches)
    • 2004 Preseason First-Team All-America (NCBWA)
    • 2004 Preseason Third-Team All-America (Baseball America)
    • 2003 USA National Team Selection
    • 2003 First-Team All-Big 12 Conference (coaches)
    • 2003 First-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Austin American-Statesman)
    • 2003 First-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Waco Tribune-Herald)
    • 2003 Verizon Academic All-District VI Second Team
    • 2003 First-Team Academic All-Big 12 Conference
    • 2003 NCAA Hattiesburg Regional All-Tournament Team
    • 2003 Minute Maid Park College Classic Most Outstanding Player
    • 2003 Minute Maid Park College Classic All-Tournament Team
    • 2002 Freshman All-America Honorable Mention (Collegiate Baseball)
    • 2002 Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Dallas Morning News)
    • 2002 Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference (Waco Tribune-Herald)
    • 2002 Big 12 Conference All-Freshman Team (coaches)
    • Big 12 Conference Player of the Week -- April 5, 2004

Baylor Career Records Book
    • 7th in at bats (782)
    • 5th in hits (243)
    • t-8th in doubles (50)
    • t-9th in home runs (28)
    • 7th in RBI (166)
    • 7th in extra-base hits (90)
    • 7th in total bases (401)
    • t-10th in hit by pitch (17)
    • t-8th in Big 12 games played (78)
    • 7th in Big 12 games started (78)
    • 6th in Big 12 at bats (335)
    • 7th in Big 12 hits (102)
    • 6th in Big 12 doubles (24)
    • t-3rd in Big 12 triples (5)
    • t-9th in Big 12 home runs (12)
    • 7th in Big 12 RBI (72)
    • t-6th in Big 12 total bases (172)
    • 8th in Big 12 assists (99)

Summer 2004
    Did not play competitively.

2004 (Junior)
    Started every game at 3B ... Hit .307 with nine home runs, 25 RBI and eight doubles in Big 12 play ... Shared conference lead in home runs in Big 12 games with teammate Josh Ford ... Home run total tied for second-best single-season Big 12 total ever by a Baylor player ... Also tallied 70 total bases in Big 12 play, 10th in school history ... Second on team with 11 multiple-hit games and tied for team lead with six multiple-RBI games in Big 12 play ... Enjoyed a team-best 12-game hitting streak in conference action ... Hit safely in each of final eight Big 12 contests and in 22 of 25 league games on the season ... Ranked eighth in Big 12 in hits in league play with 35, tied for fifth in runs (23), tied for sixth in RBI (25), tied for fourth in doubles (8), second in total bases (80) ... Tied for third on team with 13 two-out RBI ... Led team with 22 multiple-hit games on the season ... Hit .351 with eight home runs, 21 RBI, eight doubles and a .691 slugging percentage in road games ... Reached safely in 53 of 60 games and did not go more than nine at bats without a hit ... Seventh in Big 12 with 17 stolen bases on the season ... Had the game-winning hit, an RBI single up the middle, in Baylor's Feb. 15 1-0 victory over LMU ... Was 2-for-3 with a double and a run scored in first game of Feb. 21 doubleheader at Long Beach State ... Homered and went 2-for-4 March 2 against UC Irvine ... Went 2-for-4 March 9 at UT-Arlington ... Tied Baylor and Big 12 records March 12 against Vanderbilt, getting hit by a pitch three times ... Also went 2-for-3 with a run and two RBI in that game ... Went 2-for-5 with a run and an RBI double March 19 at Texas A&M ... Went 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored March 23 against Northwestern State ... Went 3-for-5 with a homer and three RBI March 26 at Oklahoma, followed by a 2-for-5 performance with an RBI and two runs scored the next day ... Had three RBI on two hits with two runs scored March 30 against TCU ... Second hit on the night was career hit No. 200; first hit was career double No. 40 ... Went 6-for-15 with four runs, a double, three home runs and nine RBI in Missouri series ... Was 3-for-6 April 3 against Missouri with two home runs ... Went 2-for-5 with five RBI and a game-winning grand slam in series finale ... Earned Big 12 Conference Player of the Week honors following Missouri series ... Went 3-for-5 with three RBI and two doubles April 13 against Sam Houston State ... Hit a leadoff, game-winning home run in the top of the 10th inning April 17 as Baylor upset top-ranked Texas ... Also homered in the series finale ... April 18 game at Texas was the last game of a 16-game hitting streak and a stretch of 32 consecutive games reaching base safely ... Doubled twice and drove in game's first run April 25 against Kansas ... Went 1-for-4 with a walks and two runs scored April 27 at TCU ... Scored twice and went 2-for-5 April 28 against Texas Southern ... Smashed a two-run, first-inning home run May 2 at Kansas State ... Went 3-for-4 with two runs and a double May 12 against Texas State ... Went 2-for-3, walked and scored twice May 19 against Texas Southern ... Was 2-for-4 with a home run May 21 at Texas Tech ... Went 2-for-6 with a double and two runs May 22 at Texas Tech.

Summer 2003
    Earned a spot on the USA National Team that represented the United States in the Pan-American Games ... Hit .211 in 21 games (nine starts) with one double and two RBI ... Scored eight runs as the Red, White and Blue went 27-2 and earned the silver medal at the Pan-Am Games.

2003 (Sophomore)
    Established a Baylor record with six hits in a game Feb. 9 at Arizona, an 11-9, 11-inning win; also drove in six runs in the game (including the winning run in the 11th) with five singles and a home run ... Had four hits on the day, including a home run, and threw out a runner at second for his first outfield assist against Feb. 14 against Houston at the Minute Maid Park College Classic ... Drove in three runs on two doubles Feb. 22 in a 9-8 win over then-No. 7 USC ... Hit safely in the Bears' first 10 games of the season ... Had a bases-loaded triple March 15 against Texas Tech ... Two-out, bases-loaded single in the bottom of the ninth March 21 drove in the winning run to beat Oklahoma ... Two days later, was 3-for-4 with a solo homer in a 10-3 Baylor win over the Sooners ... Had three hits, including two doubles, and drove in two in a 9-1 win March 29 at Texas A&M ... Recorded his first career two-homer game in a 10-3 April 1 over UT-San Antonio ... Went 3-for-5 with a double, a triple, four RBI and three runs scored April 11 at Oklahoma State ... Again recorded three hits the next day, extending his hitting streak to 12 games before going hitless in the OSU series finale ... Singled, doubled and tripled, driving in three, April 18 in the Missouri series opener ... Recorded three hits, including a double, and drove in three runs two days later against the Tigers ... Became the first Bear to hit for the cycle since Shane Nolen in 1978, going 4-for-5 with a single, double, triple and home run May 6 against Centenary ... Also scored three times and tied his career high with six RBI against the Gents ... Extended his season-long hitting streak to 13 games with an infield single May 25 against Nebraska before going 0-for-6 in the Big 12 Tournament title game ... Solo homer in the seventh gave Baylor the lead for good in a May 31 win over Southern at the NCAA Regional ... Recorded his 26th double of the season June 8 in game three of the Super Regional at LSU, setting a single-season school record ... His 103 hits and 45 extra-base hits were each the second-best season totals in school history ... Also set single-season at-bats record and finished among the top five in the school single-season records in triples, RBI and total bases ... Ranked 25th nationally in triples per game, 46th in doubles per game and 51st in RBI per game ... Finished second in the Big 12 in doubles, triples and RBI ... Also among the league leaders in hits (3rd), total bases (3rd), slugging percentage (10th), home runs (t-10th) and batting (17th) ... In conference games only, was among the best in the Big 12 in doubles (t-2nd), triples (t-3rd), RBI (t-6th), hits (t-8th) and batting (24th) ... Fall 2002 winner of the Baylor Baseball Award for Academic Excellence.

Summer 2002
    Hit .285 with six doubles, nine RBI and eight runs scored in his first season in the Cape Cod League, playing with Hyannis.

2002 (Freshman)
    Was not expected to contribute heavily but forced his way into the line-up with a strong bat and solid defense ... Started the Bears' final 55 games at third base ... Led the Bears in home runs for much of the year before finishing second on the team with seven ... Second on the team with 50 RBI ... Hit his first collegiate home run Feb. 9 at Enron Field against TCU, a two-run, ninth-inning shot that brought the Bears within a run in an eventual 6-5 loss ... Went 3-for-6 with two doubles and three RBI March 6 against Winthrop ... Drove in four runs March 12 against Texas State ... Three-run homer in the bottom of the eighth finished off a tie-breaking, six-run inning March 16 as the Bears beat Kansas 15-9 ... Finished the game with a career-best six RBI ... Went 3-for-6 with two runs scored and two RBI, narrowly missing the cycle after knocking out a single, a double and a triple in his first three at-bats Sunday March 24 at Missouri ... Knocked his first career grand slam April 2 at TCU, his fifth home run of the year ... Added a bases-loaded walk to finish the day with five RBI ... Hit his sixth home run of the year as the latter half of back-to-back shots in the fourth inning of a 6-5 win April 12 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ... Hit safely in 16 straight games (3/20-4/14), the longest streak on the team in 2002 and the eighth-longest streak in program history ... Went 3-for-4 and scored a run in a 4-1 win May 4 over Dallas Baptist ... Finished tied for seventh in the Big 12 in triples (4).

High School
    Three-time letterwinner at Cedar Hill High School in Cedar Hill, Texas, where he played for coach Randy Bush ... Named newcomer of the year in 1999 and earned all-district honors in 2000 ... As a senior, hit .537 with four home runs ... Ranked in top 10 in batting average in the Dallas-Fort Worth area (5A) ... Graduated fourth out of 350 students with a 3.93 GPA ... National Achievement Commended Scholar ... Member of National Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society and Health Occupation Students of America (vice-president).

Personal
    Full name is Michael Jason Griffin ... Born Oct. 1, 1983, in Corpus Christi, Texas ... Son of Greg Griffin and Debbie Griffin ... Father played pro baseball in the Toronto Blue Jays organization ... Brother Gregory Griffin Jr. played collegiate baseball at Northlake Junior College ... Chose Baylor over Texas, Houston and Louisiana Tech ... Majoring in international business ... Is a year ahead of his age in school ... Says his best non-athletic talent is dancing ... Craziest ambition is to join the Professional Bowlers Association.

Career Bests
    Hits: 6 at Arizona (2/9/03)
    Runs: 3, twice
    Doubles: 2, six times
    Triples: 1, 12 times
    Home Runs: 2, twice
    RBI: 6, three times
    Stolen Bases: 2 vs. Texas Southern (4/28/04)
    Walks: 2 vs. Oklahoma State (4/5/02)
    Hitting Streak: 16 games (3/20/02 through 4/14/02)
    16 games (3/21/04 through 4/18/04)

Turn Off Ads?