Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Add the abundance of HBPs and Roberts' OBP skills look better. No doubt they saw him while scouting Garrett Olsen, the lefty starter.

I'm very curious about LeCure -- he's got a good story. I also like that they retained the rights to Loo. He was one of the top follows this year, so why not?

I also think they've made an effort to get some power arms (Woods, Ward, Avery, Flowers, from the initial reports). The organization has very few hard throwers at the moment.
    Loo's just a bizarre situation. Seriously, they had his rights until a week ago. Surely he could have been signed and not cost the team an extra pick.

They drafted hard throwers last year too, even their position players were hard throwers. Yet there's more to being a power pitcher than a radar gun reading and that's where the Reds seem to be missing the boat in many cases.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Logan Ondrusek has a 6'8 205 frame?
    looks lanky:

http://www.mclennan.edu/athletics/ba...l_ondrusek.php

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Loo's just a bizarre situation. Seriously, they had his rights until a week ago. Surely he could have been signed and not cost the team an extra pick.

They drafted hard throwers last year too, even their position players were hard throwers. Yet there's more to being a power pitcher than a radar gun reading and that's where the Reds seem to be missing the boat in many cases.
    Ward was the only pick that they seemed to have this clue on.

Next pick.. 2B... Michael De Jesus Coastal Carolina U
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

story from last year that mentions Ondrusek:
    Waco paper archive

He was drafted by Houston coming out of High School. Yet another pitcher from texas: YAPFT.

Next pick.. 2B... Michael De Jesus Coastal Carolina U
    http://www.sports-wired.com/players/...e.asp?ID=40338

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Reds next take

Michael Griffin, 2b from Baylor
    A destitute man's Paul Janish without the arm and BB skills.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    So who's going to compose the post with just the Reds picks in it... seperate from this.

Pretty Please.
    Your wish has been granted. You have two left.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36023
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

another righty... Jason Vecciho out of U of San Antonio
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

All dyslexics must untie!

So does that mean we are still looking at Sardinha as our Catcher of the future?
    The Reds may convert Rosales to catcher?

Scouts love SS Adam Rosales (11) as a senior sign because he's a gamer with plus speed and above-average arm strength. They do question his stiff swing, however, and wonder if he'll be able to hit with wood. His arm and agility have some wondering if he'd take well to catching.
    Never overlook the obvious

A lefty out of Lander U.. David Wilson .. nice collection of college arms stacking up.

The Reds are back to drafting players 6' 1" and less. Didn't they draft like that back in the 90's Short good fielding players with speed and no stick. Pitchers that were short with avg stuff and flyball pitchers because they couldn't get and sink on their pitches from the lack of down hill slope. They thought that they could teach hitting and offspeed pitches.

http://www.lander.edu/athletics/release41.html

I kinda like Wilson as a low end pick

Wilson quietly makes noise for Lander's pitching corps

By DAVID HAYS
    Lander Sports Information

GREENWOOD – Lander ace pitcher David Wilson is not a vocal leader. But his mere presence on the mound gives the Bearcats an air of confidence that speaks volumes.

The All-Peach Belt Conference left-handed starting pitcher has a simple goal his senior year. "To win every game I pitch," he said.

While winning every game is not likely, he wasn’t far off last year. The Gray Court, S.C., native started 13 games and finished 8-1. His only loss was to Columbus State, which went to the Division II World Series.

Wilson posted a 2.53 ERA last season and averaged one strikeout and only one hit allowed per inning. He had 92 Ks and only 17 walks in 92.1 innings while giving up 91 hits and only five home runs. He and David Glover (7-7, 2.93) helped the Bearcats post the 13th best ERA in Division II.

Wilson got his senior year off to a fast start, pitching five shutout innings and getting the victory at St. Andrews College, N.C., on Feb. 1.

If getting Lander's season off to a good start wasn't enough pressure, the former Laurens High School star pitched in front of approximately a dozen pro baseball scouts.

"They are standing right behind the plate," Wilson said. "But it really doesn’t affect the way I pitch."

"You can’t help but notice (the scouts)," Bearcats head coach Mike McGuire said. "When he was warming up the other day (at St. Andrews), he's got about a half-dozen guys hanging around the bullpen getting as close to the field as they can without actually coming on the field while he is just getting loose. I think he would agree that the more it happens, the easier it gets."

Wilson said the scouts started watching him pitch last year.

"A couple of times my sophomore year there were people (scouts) there, but I don't even know if they were looking at me," he said.

They likely were looking at Wilson because his sophomore season was remarkably similar to his junior year. He posted an 8-5 record with a 2.92 ERA and had a 92-24 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 89 innings. He started 13 games in 2003, pitched three shutouts, and allowed only four homers. He also pitched the Peach Belt's first-ever perfect game, blanking North Greenville College.

Wilson also owns school single-season and career records in wins and strikeouts. No wonder the Bearcats are so confident behind him.

"Our team feeds off David Wilson on the mound," McGuire said. "They feel like if David is pitching today, we are going to win today."

Wilson throws a fastball in the high 80s that occasionally touches 90 miles per hour. He also has a good change-up that keeps getting better, McGuire said.

"His change-up has gotten better and his velocity has gone up," McGuire said. "He has a plus breaking ball. When his breaking ball is on, he’s going to put up a lot of zeroes."

"When my breaking ball is working good, normally I come out winning," Wilson agreed.

"It’s got a lot of break to it," McGuire said. "What's great about it is David can throw his breaking ball for a strike on a fastball count. He doesn't always have to throw fastballs on a fastball count. It's hard (for a hitter) to get a pattern on David."

McGuire is entering his third season as head coach and inherited a pitching staff that had an up-and-coming Wilson.

"David was on the team when I got here," McGuire said. "I don't really take any credit for David being as good as he is. I think he was a good pitcher when I got here. I don't think David knew how good he was. I tried to make David realize how good he could be.

"David is quiet, soft spoken, is not a rah rah guy. He is not a guy who shows a lot of emotions. But he has an air of confidence about him at this point in his career that I don't think he had when I first got here. I think he has just come into his own as far as knowing how good he is. His confidence level is so much higher every time he takes the mound."

Bearcats pitching coach Chris Cook finds Wilson easy to work with.

"His mechanics are pretty sound. There wasn't a whole lot that we had to change," Cook said. "When you're talking about a guy like that, we are really talking about minor things like what he is doing with runners on base like his move to first versus his move to home.

"We work on different grips," Cook continued. "But his mechanics are very good. He just naturally has mechanics that a lot of other pitchers are trying to get. So we focus mainly on pitch selection and working on his change-up. That is the biggest thing he has done in the last couple of years is develop that change-up. He has always had a great fastball and a good curveball."

Wilson played four years at Laurens High, earned All-Region honors, and played some center field and designated hitter in addition to pitching. He was recruited by Lander, Presbyterian and Newberry.

"I got looked at by a couple other bigger schools, but I wasn’t offered any money at all. Lander was my best option," Wilson said. "It's pretty close to home and I liked it. This is the only school I visited."

Wilson was recruited by Mike Pitts of Laurens under then head Lander coach Rusty Stroupe, who left Lander to coach at Gardner-Webb.

While Wilson's pitching ability is impressive enough, McGuire likes his mental makeup.

"I'm big on body language," said McGuire, who played college baseball at Akron and the University of South Carolina. "If the pitcher has poor body language on the mound, the entire team sees that. You can very rarely ever look out there and think that David is rattled. I don't care if he's punched (struck) out nine in a row or given up three straight hits."

But McGuire said don't mistake Wilson’s calm demeanor as lackadaisical.

"I think one thing that is overlooked about him is David competes. If he gives up a hit or two, he competes that much harder. I think the mark of a good pitcher is when a pitcher gets better in a tight situation, and I think he does that."

Added Cook, "He is not afraid to pitch inside. He fields his position real well. He is a very good, dominant pitcher, he wants the baseball, has a lot of confidence, and is a bulldog."

Wilson said he is more confident now as a more mature pitcher.

"If I can spot a pitch, I feel like they are not going to hit it," the Business major said. "Back then (as a freshman and sophomore) I was more timid to throw a certain pitch because I was afraid that it was going to get hit."

Cook noticed the soaring confidence as well.

"As soon as he had some success in his sophomore year, I think his confidence shot up," Cook said. "He had okay numbers his freshman year, but as soon as he started having a couple of good games he has been going out there expecting to win every time."

One part of the schedule Wilson looks forward to is a trip to Hawaii in March when the Bearcats play six games in three days against Hawaii Pacific at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

"I haven't been out of this state hardly," said Wilson, one of a handful of Lander players who has never flown on a commercial flight. "The longest drive I've really been on was to North Florida (Jacksonville)."

Another thing Wilson can count on is facing a tough Peach Belt schedule and seeing a few more scouts. McGuire feels Wilson has a chance to get selected in the Major League Baseball draft this summer.

"I think that would be great. If it happens, it happens," Wilson said. "I can't control what happens. I'm just going to do what I can do."

And that is to hopefully win every game

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    So now they're re-drafting folks whom they've had ample opportunity to sign already????

Good lord. Just shoot me. Or them.
    Barry Larkin was drafted twice. That turned out ok.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Barry Larkin was drafted twice. That turned out ok.
    Yeah. With three years between picks.

That's "years". Not "days".
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?