Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2005 Draft Thread

Has Baseball America put out its mock draft yet?

Teamonebaseball.com has one, but you have to be a subscriber.

I'd just like to see a college player picked in the first round. That's my only criteria for being happy with the first pick.

Re: 2005 Draft

BBAs mock comes out tomorrow. My guess is, that will be the Bible for all of the picks made, as they were pretty accurate last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The BBA website says the mock draft will be posted tonight.

Update on Cameron Maybin

3. Cameron Maybin, of, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C.
    6/6 Update: Clubs don’t doubt Maybin’s talent, but his reported asking price and the trend of drafting college players makes his draft position uncertain

Jay Bruce

9. Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas
    6/5 Update: Unheralded at the start of the year, his five-tool potential has won over scouts, with the Mets having interest at 9

Jeff Clement

12. Jeff Clement, c, U. of Southern California
    6/6 Update: Rumors persist he'll go in the first 10 picks, with the strongest word having him going third overall to the Mariners

8. Craig Hansen, rhp, St. John's U.
    6/6 Update: Opened eyes with dominating performance Friday in just his fourth college start, hitting 97 mph with his fastball and upper 80s with his slider; his slider topped out at 90

And here's one to make your stomach churn.

25. Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M 6/5 Update: Pirates and Reds are eyeing him strongly as budget-minded pick at 11-12 spots
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wouldn't be upset if the Reds drafted Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU.

I will be pleased if the Reds end up with one of this group(no particular order): Ryan Braun, Matt Torra, Cesar Carillo, Jeff Clement, Lance Broadway, Troy Tulowitzki, Jay Bruce, Trevor Crowe, Mike Pelfrey, Cameron Maybin, Ricky Romero, or Luke Hochevar.

Atleast 3 or 4 of those players will be available when the Reds pick.

I didn't list players that had zilch chance of falling to the Reds(Upton, Zimmerman, Gordon).

June 6: Cuban Defectors Update
    by John Manuel

While the buzz is all good on shortstop Yuniel Escobar, the buzz on righthander Maels Rodriguez is not. Rodriguez has joined Escobar (and the group of Cuban defectors who are working out with Escobar at Braddock High in Miami) by putting his name into the first-year player draft. Rodriguez had been declared a free agent last winter but had been having visa difficulties, as well as difficulty regaining the velocity on a fastball that touched 100 mph in the 2000 Olympics. Reports this spring of Rodriguez' workouts with clubs such as the Orioles indicated he was throwing in the mid-to-upper 80s. He was ridden hard in Cuba prior to defecting (pitching five times in a seven-game playoff series), suffered back and shoulder injuries and enters the draft as a wild card.

Escobar, meanwhile, has done nothing but improve in clubs' eyes, and heading into Tuesday's draft he was likely to be a first-round pick. Clubs have two main concerns with the shortstop, who scouts are saying is shorter than his reported 6-foot-2 listed height. First, they want to verify Escobar's age; he's likely 22 or 23. Second, they question just how much power is in his bat, but it appears they won't be able to ponder him for long, because enough teams are interested that he seems unlikely to last into the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I wouldn't be upset if the Reds drafted Lance Broadway, rhp, TCU.

I will be pleased if the Reds end up with one of this group(no particular order): Ryan Braun, Matt Torra, Cesar Carillo, Jeff Clement, Lance Broadway, Troy Tulowitzki, Jay Bruce, Trevor Crowe, Mike Pelfrey, Cameron Maybin, Ricky Romero, or Luke Hochevar.

Atleast 3 or 4 of those players will be available when the Reds pick.

I didn't list players that had zilch chance of falling to the Reds(Upton, Zimmerman, Gordon).
    Like OBM said, there WILL be at least 1 of the guys above available when the Reds pick. If they don't choose one out of that list, O'Brien needs to handed his pink slip.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2

25. Cliff Pennington, ss, Texas A&M 6/5 Update: Pirates and Reds are eyeing him strongly as budget-minded pick at 11-12 spots
    Please, we don't need any more budget minded picks in the system.

Sadly though, I could see Allen using the disappointing attendence as an excuse to gut the draft budget.

the final first round projection is up on BBA...anyone have access?

BBA says Bruce
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

O'Brien's quotes that they're looking to get someone who plays a "premium position" -- which he defines as including 2B -- does not bode well. With the exception of someone like Rickie Weeks, what kind of 2B should go this high? (I'm assuming they'd characterize Pennington as a 2B.)

BA goes on to say HS RHP Chaz Roe is a sleeper for the Reds at #12. Hold on to your hats, folks.

12. Reds: Jay Bruce, of, West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas

The Reds would love to take a middle infielder here. In their wildest dreams, they'd get Tulowitzki, and they also have designs on taking Pennington. But if the Nationals, Rockies and Mets all pass on Bruce, Cincinnati will find him too tempting to do the same. Kentucky high school righthander Chaz Roe is a dark horse candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Seriously, if this draft is all about "signability" we might as well give up now.

I'm already thinking this team won't be competitive for AT LEAST 4 more years.

A bad draft today sets us back another 1-2 years on top of that, IMO.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Seriously, if this draft is all about "signability" we might as well give up now.

I'm already thinking this team won't be competitive for AT LEAST 4 more years.

A bad draft today sets us back another 1-2 years on top of that, IMO.
    Agreed, if I hear signability in regards to our pick I think I'll go bananas
    Go Gators!

What time is the first pick.?

Turn Off Ads?