Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

Seems like Havens and Maiques have fallen off the draft charts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Then he'll be lucky if he makes it to LaGrange
    And there's a prison at LaGrange...(don't pick up hitchhikers).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

James Avery,from Moose Jaw Sask. Gotta love a guy from Moose Jaw.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Addmittedly, I'm not a draft maven by any stretch of the imagination, but it does kinda bother me that we're taking 6 footers with middlin stuff in the 4th round when there are others around us taking 6-5/6-6 guys throwing low-mid 90s. I know that measurables aren't everything, but the discription for Lecure sounds like the profile for pitcher you take in later rounds.

Hopefully they're right and I'm wrong.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Reds take James Avery, RHP from Niagra.
    Ok, too far out in the weeds for me to make many comments on individuals outside of how they fit to my dogmatic draft strategy.

See you next year.

GL

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

4. JAMES AVERY, rhp (National rank: 152)
    School: Niagara.
    Hometown: Moose Jaw, Sask.
    B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: June 10, 1984.
    Previously Drafted: Twins 2002 (29)
    Scouting Report: Mike McRae, who has since moved on to Canisius, was the only Division I coach from Canada when he was at Niagara and tapped heavily into his homeland for talent, getting Avery from Saskatchewan. Avery’s fastball has been clocked between 90-94 mph, but he has never approached his full potential because he hasn’t developed a serviceable breaking pitch. He also has been bothered by nagging injuries the last two years. He has a decent split-fingered changeup, but scouts project him as a short reliever because of his limited pitch selection. A loosening of visa restrictions means Avery should have an opportunity to begin his minor league career this summer.

Still on the board: Jeremy Slayden, Maiques, Havens, Linecum.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    Addmittedly, I'm not a draft maven by any stretch of the imagination, but it does kinda bother me that we're taking 6 footers with middlin stuff in the 4th round when there are others around us taking 6-5/6-6 guys throwing low-mid 90s. I know that measurables aren't everything, but the discription for Lecure sounds like the profile for pitcher you take in later rounds.

Hopefully they're right and I'm wrong.
    Health, signability, and mechanics trump height for me. Stuff, of course, trumps them all.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    Hey guys, just taking a break from work and catching up - I haven't seen Tim Linecum from University of Washington... did I overlook him or did I miss something, like an injury or something else that would have sent his stock plummeting? I got a hard sheet copy of the first four rounds at work, and didn't see his name when going over the list.
    As far as I can tell, no he has not been drafted yet.

Anybody who plays baseball in Canada is all right in my book. Probably throws a mean snowball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    James Avery,from Moose Jaw Sask. Gotta love a guy from Moose Jaw.
    You know the standard American joke about "nuthin but football players and hookers from Green Bay"?

Well in Canada, it's "nuthin but hockey players and hookers from Moose Jaw".

Post To Contact

Poor Chaz Roe. He's from Lafayette HS in Lexington, and I had been following him a while back with the hopes UK would give him a scholarship until his stock really rose for the draft. And I saw he got drafted to COL. Hah, maybe he'd rather to UK after all now..

Hmm. Sounds like a clunker.

Well at least we know they have "canned" last years drafting philosophy, now they have a new one to pain the franchise.

Code:
    Player                 ERA   W-L   APP  GS  CG SHO/CBO SV    IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR   AB B/Avg   WP HBP  BK  SFA SHA

35 Avery, James.....  3.42   5-5    15  14   3   0/0    0  92.0  92  47  35  30  83  21   1   6  348  .264   14  10   0    1   8
    I will not defend this pick, looks like another project. Good thing we are so good at developing pitchers, otherwise I'd be worried about two of our first five picks being pitchers with developmental needs
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?