Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

Sounds like a young Eli Marrero
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Depends on whether it is Lewis-Clark State or Lewis & Clark State.

Lewis & Clark State is here in Portland.
    Looking for Lewis & Clark, been a long time since I heard that tune.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It's going to be years before this draft can be fairly judged.

The way I see it, you get 2-3 solid major leaguers out of a draft, you're doing OK. You get a star, you're doing OK

That said -- interesting that they went VERY heavy on college pitching -- what is it,
    8 of the first 12 picks. Interesting change from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve

The way I see it, you get 2-3 solid major leaguers out of a draft, you're doing OK. You get a star, you're doing OK

That said -- interesting that they went VERY heavy on college pitching -- what is it,
    8 of the first 12 picks. Interesting change from last year.
    But it was/is pitching that was far from dominating at the college level. The K rates are abysmal on everyone of those college guys.

I'd read Rosales' BA capsule a few days ago, saw the plus arm and gamer comments, and immediately thought the Reds would dig him.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Reds took Logan Ondrusek, RHP out of McClennan CC with the next pick

Lecure and Avery are wild cards. Yet most of the rest has been a steady parade of headscratchers. Roberts is particularly stunning
    Add the abundance of HBPs and Roberts' OBP skills look better. No doubt they saw him while scouting Garrett Olsen, the lefty starter.

I'm very curious about LeCure -- he's got a good story. I also like that they retained the rights to Loo. He was one of the top follows this year, so why not?

I also think they've made an effort to get some power arms (Woods, Ward, Avery, Flowers, from the initial reports). The organization has very few hard throwers at the moment.

Wow another pitcher. I guess we have enough position talent in the minors I didn't think so but I could be mistaken.

The K rates are abysmal on everyone of those college guys.
    Compared to what?

Compared to what?
    I'd like to see them drafting college pitchers that have as many k's as innings pitched for example. Maybe there aren't that many available this year, but the plus arms that need to learn 2 or more additional pitches scare the crap out of me in this organization. Combine that with some shady mechanics and I don't see how there can be much return on these guys.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Depends on whether it is Lewis-Clark State or Lewis & Clark State.

Lewis & Clark State is here in Portland.
    I could be wrong, but Lewis and Clark University is a private school, not a state college.

http://www.lclark.edu/

No record of a Fisher on their baseball team

http://www.lclark.edu/%7Esports/Base...5/TEAMCUME.HTM

LCSC is in Lewiston, Idaho. The ampersand must've been a typo (I pasted it from teamonebaseball's website)
    Never overlook the obvious

I guess ward had decent K numbers. I don't have all the others in front of me to check though, so maybe I reacted too quickly to those. I have no faith in the development staff of the reds. The fact that they have been "re-tooling" Pauly all this time scares me to no end.

I disagree. The Reds need to get organizational depth out of each and every draft. That's a big part of "building through the draft." If the lion's share of their 2-10 picks burn out before ever making a splash, then it's a bad draft and already I'm pretty secure in thinking that six of those guys are headed for instant obscurity.

It goes back to something flyer said, the Reds see upside that no one else does with a lot of these guys. If they can't bolster the system and create the perception that the Reds are doing something right down on the farm then it's a case of a low tide lowering all boats. The Reds seem to be trying to steal talent rather than building the brand name and, IMO, that's a mistake.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Reds next take

Michael Griffin, 2b from Baylor

Logan Ondrusek has a 6'8 205 frame?
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?