Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

Reds pick 632, Round 21.

Catcher Benjamin Blumenthal

Erskine College, TN

6'2" 210.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Wood's mechanics are obviously seen differently between sources. His offspeed pitch as well. I don't think it was a "punt" pick either. They really believe in the guy.

One of those Reds only understand picks.
    I was reading some Brewers' blogger talking this kid up--explosive fastball, deceptive. FWIW (not all that much I guess, just some dude like you or me, but it is an objective non-Reds tinted observation given prior to drafting). It's not the mechanics that bother me so much, but the fluctuations in his pitch speed; I'm highly dubious of gun readings as it is, but when they vacillate so severely from observer to observer I get REALLY dubious.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm guessing Blumenthal is a "defensive minded" catcher.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

All I can find on Blumenthal is a picture.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Erskine is a small Christian liberal arts college. I don't even know if they keep stats.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    All I can find on Blumenthal is a picture.

He's dirty. Sign of a decent catcher. I like him.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    If we have to pass on every pitcher with a mechanics issue, then we might as well close up shop now. That isn't supporting the pick, but being able to coach up players is a fundamental part of any MLB org. If we don't have the people in place to turn a young thrower into a professional pitcher, then we are altogether hopeless. Very few draft picks are going to be polished. You are right that they have shown they cannot develop pitching, but we cannot go down the road of not taking guys that need developed. We need to hope that the next step is recognizing that the development of pitchers is not only a weak link, but that we put the right people in place to change that.
    But they don't. The same people are still here and still in charge of developing.

However, the Reds have shown the ability to develop position players, so they should draft those and then use them to trade for pitchers who have been developed correctly (in other words, let other teams do the heavy lifting).

It's not the ideal plan. Good pitchers are usually held on to, I know. But the Reds can't develop them, and their plan seems to be select as many high velocity, bad mechanic arms as you can (5 straight in the 2 thru 6 rounds) and hope one works out. I don't like that philosophy.

You wanna fix the problem, bring in people from other organizations who have been involved in successfully developing pitchers (and by this I mean the people who do the dirty work, not just someone like Dan O who was there when they were drafted). Thats how you fix the problem. But overdrafting and hoping one works out, thats not a solution. Drafting a high school kid who recoils, who overthrew to impress scouts, that is a bad thing.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

He looks like Aaron Harang's little brother.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Erskine is a small Christian liberal arts college. I don't even know if they keep stats.
    They play their games in the church basement. DanO just happened to be in the area for services that day.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I was reading some Brewers' blogger talking this kid up--explosive fastball, deceptive. FWIW (not all that much I guess, just some dude like you or me, but it is an objective non-Reds tinted observation given prior to drafting). It's not the mechanics that bother me so much, but the fluctuations in his pitch speed; I'm highly dubious of gun readings as it is, but when they vacillate so severely from observer to observer I get REALLY dubious.
    It could be due if he is going all out or not. 7th round pick PV from last year was said to be able to get it up to 95mph, he doesn't pitch that hard this year in Dayton. Sounds like to me he will be a fastball/change pitcher while improving his curveball to be a ML average pitch.

Who knows what the Reds saw in him. I wouldn't have taken him at 2 in a long shot. The physical tools may be exciting, but they took Ward and Lacure next, which doesn't quite add up.

DUE WEST, SC---Ben Blumenthal became the third Erskine baseball player selected in the 2005 Major League Baseball draft when the Cincinnati Reds took the catcher in the 21st round Wednesday afternoon.

Blumenthal was a first team All-CVAC catcher, hitting .400 with 13 home runs and 53 RBI`s.

Played three years at DI level (Lipscomb) & hit .220 there as a jr. The drop to DII level was a real boost to the BA.

Blumenthal .400 49 g - 49s 185 AB, 56 R, 74 H 20 2B, 13 HR, 53 RBI, 19 BB, 6 HBP, 29 K

By the way, I think another of the Reds philosophies is to get guys who can flat out bring it - Wood and Ward - so that when they instill in them this pitch to contact, take some off the fastball, that they still have guys throwing in the 90s.

Again, I think that is a horrible idea, but I think that is their plan.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    Well RL Duncan finally got chosen in the 14th round to the Minnesota Twins. I found some stuff on Team one about him, they had him rated fairly high, had him their #10 LH pitcher out of HS. Here is the link. http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/vi...3&pr_key=32830
    Ryan, there was a writeup in either the enquirer or post that said Duncan dropped due to contract demands. He was called 3 times in the second round, but was insisting on about 150K more than slot money, and teams were balking.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Ryan, there was a writeup in either the enquirer or post that said Duncan dropped due to contract demands. He was called 3 times in the second round, but was insisting on about 150K more than slot money, and teams were balking.
    Sounds like a good guy to grab in the 14th round as the Twins did.
    Get a second round talent in the 14th round and then try to get the money to work. If he doesn't sign, you've only lost a 14th round pick.

See, this is how a team that is willing to dump money into the draft can rebuild in a hurry. I don't expect the Reds to do it, but the Indians did it a couple of years. There's good talent late in the draft.. if you're willing to pay 2nd round money later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    But they don't. The same people are still here and still in charge of developing.

However, the Reds have shown the ability to develop position players, so they should draft those and then use them to trade for pitchers who have been developed correctly (in other words, let other teams do the heavy lifting).

It's not the ideal plan. Good pitchers are usually held on to, I know. But the Reds can't develop them, and their plan seems to be select as many high velocity, bad mechanic arms as you can (5 straight in the 2 thru 6 rounds) and hope one works out. I don't like that philosophy.

You wanna fix the problem, bring in people from other organizations who have been involved in successfully developing pitchers (and by this I mean the people who do the dirty work, not just someone like Dan O who was there when they were drafted). Thats how you fix the problem. But overdrafting and hoping one works out, thats not a solution. Drafting a high school kid who recoils, who overthrew to impress scouts, that is a bad thing.
    I hear what you're saying, Puffy, but I think that puts you in an endless loop. The Reds have to be able to make picks not only based on raw physical talent, but with the confidence that their coaches will be able to develop the pitchers. They just have to. If that proves to not be the case, then you bring in someone who can do the job. Now, you and I both know that's not the case currently, but I still think you can't limit yourself to pitchers with "polished" mechanics when you are drafting 18-22 year olds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?