Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667

Thread: 2005 Draft Thread

Re: 2005 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Before the draft he was talked about as having Round 1 talent.

He has 3 plus pitches already, all power stuff. heavy 2 seam, 4 seam fastball that run to the low 90's and a good slider.

I'm guessing that teams backed off because of signability concerns, but even teamonebaseball.com questions that:

Can't figure why he goes this far down. One of the most talked about JC pitchers in this draft. Obviously signability became an issue, but why?

He's a JUCO pitcher. How hard can they be to sign? I was hoping that the Reds would pick very talented players that fell in the draft. That's a great way to build up your system. DanO has been preaching "building through the draft" since he was hired. I've yet to see him truly dedicate himself to doing this. They take "signable" players, or very average talent players. If you want to "build the system" you have to give more effort than what has been done the past 2-3 years. Maiques, I viewed as a chance to do that. You could have basically been given a round 1-2 talent in the 37th round. You have to take a chance on guys like that if you want to "build" the system.
    I don't know, but 29 other teams didn't bite either until the last pick of round 37, which should lead anyone to believe there are legitimate issues there. Of course, with the number of duds we picked, what makes the difference?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Post To Contact

For those interested, I can post the Reds' picks in rounds 41-46 real quick:

Round 41: Justin Tordi - SS - Florida
    Round 42: John Axeford - RHP - Notre Dame
    Round 43: Clay Long - RHP - Chipola JC
    Round 44: Jason Erickson - RHP - White River HS (WA)
    Round 45: Andre Lamontagne - RHP - Ernest Righetti HS (CA)
    Round 46: JW Brown - 1B - Howard College

For whoever cares that may be living in the Dayton area, I noticed the next pick after Brown in round 46 was a kid from Huber Heights Wayne HS, I believe, RF Benjamin Bryan to BAL.

Post To Contact

And here are picks 47, 48 and 49 for the Reds:

47: Matt Garrett - OF - Grand Rapids Community College
    48: Gary Poynter - RHP - Marcus HS (TX)
    49: Cody Allen - OF - Coleman HS (MI)

Since there's just one more pick, I'll try to hang around here long enough for it to come down the wire.

Turn Off Ads?