10. Cecil Cooper (913)

Most Similar by Age

24. Joe Hauser (973)
    25. Joe Hauser (967)
    26. Jeff Bagwell (939)
    27. Dmitri Young (957)
    28. Ted Kluszewski (947)
    29. Bill White (945)
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sean Casey to Mets Rumor

It would take Yusmeiro Petit, Royce Ring and another prospect I really liked for me to pull the trigger.

Good news is I'm pretty sure Minaya would do something like it. He's shown a willingness to part with prospects for a right now return in the past.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    As was suggested above, this is not realistic.

If the Mets took on Casey's guaranteed $8.5 salary for next year, then they'd probably send us Mientkiewicz (who has a $450,000 buyout for next year) rather than a prospect.

The Reds could put that money toward signing Dunn long term if they're smart, or toward another distaster like Milton, if they're not smart.
    I see where you're coming from but I wouldn't make that trade. The Mets need Casey or another first baseman. They've gotten zero production there and the pressure to win is immense. If Casey can be painted as the solution to their problem at firstbase, as a probable huge fan favorite and as a key peice to making a second half run then a good GM should be able to get the Mets to overpay. 1 year left at 8.5 mil won't deter the Mets. If Casey had a 3 or 4 years left that would be different. If the Mets don't want to part with at least 1 good prospect (if the deal HAD to include Mientkiewicz) then tell em no thanks, no deal and walk away. Because if you can't walk away and mean it, you'll never get a decent return for anyone.

Here's where O'Brien seems to lack it - he asks for way too much so when he walks away the other teams let him. Ask for a lot to start, know exactly what your wares are really worth, invite a counter offer and walk away only if you're offered less. My problems with trading Casey are:

O'Brien is doing the trading

O'Brien doesn't appear to be any kind of a judge of talent of prospective players & appears to love over the hill veterans - we probably would wind up with Doug M only and OB would think he'd done a great job

O'Brien appears to be a lousy trade negotiator

Even if he landed a couple solid pitching prospects I wonder if the Reds can develop them in the current regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    This seems to be the core gripe with Casey as I read through these posts. Most guys are saying "Yeah, Sean's a decent player, but we should be getting more bang for our buck with the salary he's making".

Might be. Not sure what the "typical production" is for a $7+ million a year guy. I know Casey consistently hits over .300 and has some pop in his bat.

But then there's the intangibles. Sean's got a certain charisma that you just can't put a dollar value on. I don't know if there's a better guy you'd want to build your clubhouse around, because Case is a guy that other players love playing with, and playing hard. Most fans see this, and come to the ballpark to watch Sean and his buds havin' fun on the field.

Hasn't been a whole lot of fun this year, but that's mostly because the pitching has been such a disaster.

I'd really, really hate to see the fun-lovin' Sean Casey get traded away for some stone-faced nobody that the front office thinks might put up better numbers.
    I think that the "Sean Casey Goodtime Bunch" was having entirely too much fun and that showing Mr. Danny Graves the door was an excellent first step in breaking up the frat party. I, personally, don't care a whit to have a guy who whines and moans about losing his little buddy to the press considered the "leader" of my clubhouse.

Personally, I've never, not once, come to GABP in order to see "Sean and his buds havin' fun on the field." The Goodtime Bunch has had their chance and I'm ready for something different. Don't tell me that we shouldn't consider the money involved, because if you don't consider the money that Sean Casey is making, and compare that money to the value that he provides (ON THE FIELD VALUE, not "manly love can't quite quantify it but,,, damn it he's The Mayor Intrinsic Value").

Adam Dunn needs to play first base, AK, WMP, and KGJ need to play every game in the outfield, and Sean Casey needs to be traded. If we can get some decents prospects in return, all the better.
    Last edited by WMR; 06-11-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    I'd take a stone faced 1B that was younger, cheaper and put up 35HR and 120 RBI's in a heartbeat.
    You act like there's a trade for this mythical "35 HR , 120 RBI" guy just sitting there, waiting for DOB to pull the trigger.

Who is this guy that the Reds can trade Sean Casey for? I don't think he exists.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It would take Yusmeiro Petit, Royce Ring and another prospect I really liked for me to pull the trigger.

Good news is I'm pretty sure Minaya would do something like it. He's shown a willingness to part with prospects for a right now return in the past.
    How about trying to get Mike Cameron back as part of a Casey deal? Let NY keep Mientk, cuz if the Reds accept him Miley may decide to play him
    Last edited by gm; 06-11-2005 at 09:00 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

I'd ask about Gaby Hernandez and Milledge too. I like the idea of Ring as a complementary piece, too.

They'll never, ever give up Milledge. Not for a slightly better 1B than the one they already have.

I wouldn't mind seeing a return of Victor Diaz (who the Mets aren't real high on, but the guy can rake and would be an excellent 4th OF type or even starter in place of Kearns) and a decent pitcher like Heilman or a prospect such as Gaby Hernandez.

is there anyway to work the Phillies in this to acquire Ryan Howard? wouldn't that be a fun 1B to throw in their with Dunn, Pena, and Lopez?

i'd rather have Heilman though i doubt the Mets would dish him for Casey.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    is there anyway to work the Phillies in this to acquire Ryan Howard? wouldn't that be a fun 1B to throw in their with Dunn, Pena, and Lopez?
    Haven't looked up his stats, but I was sure impressed with Howard's swing, earlier this month

ericthered

I have heard that the Braves would love to have Kearns. I know Casey gets paid a bunch, but we need someone that can make contact in our lineup. Pena, Griffey, Kearns, and Dunn all K a lot. I love Austin Kearns, but I think he has to be the odd man out. Will he go to Atlanta and hit .315 with 25 HRs and drive in 120 in a season, very possible. But you can't keep everyone in that clubhouse happy!

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Haven't looked up his stats, but I was sure impressed with Howard's swing, earlier this month
    Code:
    Year	Level	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	AVG	OBP	SLG	Age
    2001	A	169	46	7	3	6	30	272	385	456	21
    2002	A	493	138	20	6	19	66	280	367	460	22
    2003	A	490	149	32	1	23	50	304	374	514	23
    2004	AA	374	111	18	1	37	46	297	386	647	24
    2004	AAA	111	30	10	0	9	14	270	362	604	24
    2004	MLB	39	11	5	0	2	2	282	333	564	24
    2005	AAA	141	50	14	0	11	24	355	446	688	25
    2005	MLB	28	6	2	0	1	2	214	267	393	25
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    Code:
    Year	Level	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	AVG	OBP	SLG	Age
    2001	A	169	46	7	3	6	30	272	385	456	21
    2002	A	493	138	20	6	19	66	280	367	460	22
    2003	A	490	149	32	1	23	50	304	374	514	23
    2004	AA	374	111	18	1	37	46	297	386	647	24
    2004	AAA	111	30	10	0	9	14	270	362	604	24
    2004	MLB	39	11	5	0	2	2	282	333	564	24
    2005	AAA	141	50	14	0	11	24	355	446	688	25
    2005	MLB	28	6	2	0	1	2	214	267	393	25
    I cipher that's a 1.134 OPS this year @ AAA. And Thome/Burrell are "blocking" him. Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    You act like there's a trade for this mythical "35 HR , 120 RBI" guy just sitting there, waiting for DOB to pull the trigger.

Who is this guy that the Reds can trade Sean Casey for? I don't think he exists.
    He does, and he is already on the Cincinnati Reds roster.

:dunn:
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    I cipher that's a 1.134 OPS this year @ AAA. And Thome/Burrell are "blocking" him. Yikes
    Dave Dombrowski should have thrown in Andrew Good and Jay Sborz in his trade to Philadelphia to try and land Howard.

Urbina+Good+Sborz for Polanco+Howard.

Turn Off Ads?