Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sean Casey to Mets Rumor

Re: Sean Casey to Mets Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    You act like there's a trade for this mythical "35 HR , 120 RBI" guy just sitting there, waiting for DOB to pull the trigger.

Who is this guy that the Reds can trade Sean Casey for? I don't think he exists.
    dunn, adam

except he will be more like 45-50 HRs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I think that the "Sean Casey Goodtime Bunch" was having entirely too much fun and that showing Mr. Danny Graves the door was an excellent first step in breaking up the frat party. I, personally, don't care a whit to have a guy who whines and moans about losing his little buddy to the press considered the "leader" of my clubhouse.

Personally, I've never, not once, come to GABP in order to see "Sean and his buds havin' fun on the field." The Goodtime Bunch has had their chance and I'm ready for something different. Don't tell me that we shouldn't consider the money involved, because if you don't consider the money that Sean Casey is making, and compare that money to the value that he provides (ON THE FIELD VALUE, not "manly love can't quite quantify it but,,, damn it he's The Mayor Intrinsic Value").

Adam Dunn needs to play first base, AK, WMP, and KGJ need to play every game in the outfield, and Sean Casey needs to be traded. If we can get some decents prospects in return, all the better.
    WilyMo, you just saved me a bunch of keystrokes. Well said.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

if Casey keeps up his paces this year, he'll be getting paid $120,370 for each run he creates. last year the rate was $59,549 per run created, the year before $70,948 per run created. taken all together, Casey cost per run from 2002 to present is $76,565.

not sure how that compares to other 1B though, as i don't know their contracts well enough to do it.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Doug Mientkiewicz is slick with the glove but is hitting .206 with the Mets thru June 11, 2005.

I just read another what I call a 'RedsZone loose statement' whereas this one says that Dunn will become a decent first baseman. My question is this, .... Dunn becomes a decent first baseman? Based on what? Wanting to play first base? Working hard to be better? Good hands? speed? agility? instincts? Fill me in cuz I'm not seeing any of that.

Let's be careful for what we wish for. If Casey is traded and Dunn goes to 1B, what happens next? We then go thru Austin Householder's, er uh, I mean Kearns' 1-for-19 funks and Dunn will quickly become well known as the worst fielding 1B in the NL. However, Dunn still plays 1B, hits his 45 HR's and eventually takes the Yankee's or Rangers offer of 11 mill a yr for 3 yrs to DH.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 06-12-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Personally, I've never, not once, come to GABP in order to see "Sean and his buds havin' fun on the field." The Goodtime Bunch has had their chance and I'm ready for something different. Don't tell me that we shouldn't consider the money involved, because if you don't consider the money that Sean Casey is making, and compare that money to the value that he provides (ON THE FIELD VALUE, not "manly love can't quite quantify it but,,, damn it he's The Mayor Intrinsic Value").
    I'm sure someone like yourself doesn't connect with anything so childish as having fun playing baseball. I was speaking of the families I see with their ten year old sons wearing Casey jerseys.

As for money considerations, why do posters of this board preoccupy themselves with the Reds finances? Like tycoon Carl Lindner hasn't quite figured it out and you guys are here to straighten the poor chump out.
    Last edited by Maldez; 06-12-2005 at 10:09 AM.

As for money considerations, why do posters of this board preoccupy themselves with the Reds finances? Like tycoon Carl Lindner hasn't quite figured it out and you guys are here to straighten the poor chump out.
    When free agency became a part of the game it became part of the fans problems.

What I can't understand is why you think it's not part of today's game, plus Lindner has really been good at this baseball stuff eh?

I'm sure someone like yourself doesn't connect with anything so childish as having fun playing baseball. I was speaking of the families I see with their ten year old sons wearing Casey jerseys.

As a former 10 year old boy who had loads of fun playing baseball I can tell you for a certainty they will be having just as much fun after Casey's gone and wearing someone else's jersey.

As far as peoccupying ourselves with the teams finances goes, I'll quit worrying about them when we stop having bad ballclubs because of them. Untill then when I continue to hear terms like "small market team" and "be competitive in todays market" multiple times after yet another sub .500 year I'll keep finances in the forefront of my mind.

If you think Lindner has figured anything out about baseball and needs no help then I just don't know what to say. Obviously we live in two different worlds.

Mark McGwire was a pretty poor fielding first baseman, but you never heard anyone complain about it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

No, Maldez, I think that having fun while playing baseball is a great thing. As far as a professional ball club is concerned, however, I care alot more about results than whether or not everybody is having a good time and is buddy-buddy with not only his own teammates but apparently the rest of MLB as well.

I also know several quite savvy ten-year old Reds fans who are less than enthused with a light-hitting first baseman with a propensity for Grounding Into Double Plays (his contract notwithstanding).

Oh, and btw, there's plenty of WMP and Dunn jerseys available!

Carl Lindner's business-world acumen and his baseball IQ are two entirely different matters. Every team in Major League Baseball (even the Yankees) operates on a budget of some form or another. The Yanks could have had Carlos Beltran, but they went with Randy Johnson instead. The Reds could have signed Dunn to a LTC, but instead we've got Eric "Let Me Serve Ya Up A" Milton for the next 3 years (does anybody really think he'll hesitate from exercising that third year option if things continue like they currently are?) The Milton contract, for the foreseeable future at least, is one that the Reds will be stuck with.

Sean Casey, however, has been identified as a guy who a couple of different teams have some real interest in acquiring. Lo and behold, the Reds have a hard-hitting, high .OPSing LFer who is a constant defensive liability (::cough cough Fly ball cough cough: and would fit in nicely at first base. The Casey contract would free up some much-needed salary; money that could possibly be used to sign Lopez LT, finally get a deal done with Dunn (huh?), etc. etc. etc. In other words, it would not only solve the logjam in the outfield, it would improve the Reds defensively (AK is our best defensive outfielder, and he's currently sitting next to Miley on a nightly basis), possibly improve them offensively (AK has been an enigma for far too long, it is time to give him an extended run: I, for one think he'll be a success), and undoubtedly improve the Reds bottom-line which, for a small-market team like the Reds, must be an issue which is constantly being examined and scrutinized.

I'm sure someone like yourself doesn't connect with anything so childish as having fun playing baseball.
    If I want to have fun playing baseball, I'll go out and play some baseball. When I spend my time and/or money watching professional baseball my expectation is that a certain level of quality be attached to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If I want to have fun playing baseball, I'll go out and play some baseball. When I spend my time and/or money watching professional baseball my expectation is that a certain level of quality be attached to it.
    As I type this, Sean Casey is 3 for 4 on the day, and batting .326 on the season. Explain to me just what "level of quality" is lacking in that?

As for Sean's penchant for having fun on the field, you guys make it sound like that somehow detracts from his game.

No, Maldez, I think that having fun while playing baseball is a great thing. As far as a professional ball club is concerned, however, I care alot more about results than whether or not everybody is having a good time and is buddy-buddy with not only his own teammates but apparently the rest of MLB as well.
    What is it in Sean Casey's .326 BA that makes you feel he isn't getting "results"?

I also know several quite savvy ten-year old Reds fans who are less than enthused with a light-hitting first baseman with a propensity for Grounding Into Double Plays (his contract notwithstanding).
    Again, how does a .326 BA translate into "light-hitting"?

The Reds could have signed Dunn to a LTC, but instead we've got Eric "Let Me Serve Ya Up A" Milton for the next 3 years ...The Milton contract, for the foreseeable future at least, is one that the Reds will be stuck with.
    Well, now you're onto something. You're criticizing the signing of a player with a mediocre track record to a huge contract, only to see that player's performance plummet far below even "mediocre". You'll get no argument from me on this one.

Only, lets point the finger of blame where it belongs, squarely at Dan O'Brien, not Carl Lindner.

As I type this, Sean Casey is 3 for 4 on the day, and batting .326 on the season. Explain to me just what "level of quality" is lacking in that?
    3 singles and a GIDP, a fine day if you're Bip Roberts.

Personally I like hits, but speed helps if you are a singles hitter.

Again, how does a .326 BA translate into "light-hitting"?
    19 EBH in 250 AB's, 1 every 13.5 ab's, Brady Clark has 19 EBH too.

LOL, I'd respond myself but WoY has put things as well as I possibly could!

Turn Off Ads?