Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the user name of the poster leaving a rep. comment be shown to the receiver?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

105 86.07%
  • No

17 13.93%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation Points busted?

Reputation Points busted?

Why do we have posters with over 500, some over 600 pts? Are they that much better than us? I don't think so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reputation Points busted?

Does it really matter?

It's a self policing policy. There's really no way to argue with it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It's pathetic. The self policing system wasn't design to reward buddies. It was design to judge post fairlly. It has failed.

It has succeeded enourmously, IMO. Rep points are completely irrelevant anyway. Tey mean absolutely nothing to anyone except those who haven't made into ORG.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

RedBloodedAmerican,bud as long as you are over 200 it really should'nt bother you imo.Maybe they should be a limit of the points you can get like 300 or so that that they would'nt be nobody mad or jelious.

Don't let it bother you b/c you are over 200 so just have fun.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Must mean something to some, if the system is abused in such a fashion. Why show a number after you made the cut?

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman
    RedBloodedAmerican,bud as long as you are over 200 it really should'nt bother you imo.Maybe they should be a limit of the points you can get like 300 or so that that they would'nt be nobody mad or jelious.

Don't let it bother you b/c you are over 200 so just have fun.
    Who says it bothers me or makes me jealous?

There has been allegations in the past of an "in-crowd" mentality. Buddies pushing other point total up is just going to alienate some posters.

I haven't really been paying attention, until I noticed a few posters with over 500 points today. I just can't see how that is, if people are suppose to be fair.
    Last edited by RBA; 06-13-2005 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Must mean something to some, if the system is abused in such a fashion. Why show a number after you made the cut?
    I don't know and I can't answer for the other posters on here but I would'nt care if I did'nt get anymore points b/c I have already surpassed the 200 mark and that was my goal.

hang in there man you have alot more points than I do

Who says it bothers me or makes me jealous?
    I was'nt talking about nobody,I said they could put a limit on here that would KEEP people from getting mad or jealous.Im sorry if you took it that way b/c I sure did'nt mean it that way

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I kinda agree with that. I feel the same about post counts.

"...It has failed."

RBA got it right. It appears that as one garners more 'rep points' they gain more power. For instance, I got dinged the other day by someone and it cost me 3 points, not a single point for that single 'ding'. (If I'm wrong on that I'd like to see the rule in writing 'cause I looked for it and didn't find it.) From that, I have to conclude that it was someone that has a fairly high number of points, and, if that approach is carried on out, it would be only a slight while before a simple 'neg point' become a sledge hammer that carries more weight than it should entitle a member to wield.

(BTW, that coward that dinged me didn't have the 'nads to sign his/her name and that pretty much tells ya' what a great human being they are. Point being, you shouldn't be able to neg someone if you aren't standup enough to say it to their face.)

Down the road, as points are accumulated by a select few, their power grows and it throttles others for fear that they will offend 'the clique' (which we all knw already exsists). Bad policy all around.

Rem

The post counts became a joke during the run of the '......be the last one to post....." thread(s).

I agree that the rep points should have a small limit. If it takes 200 points to get into ORG than the limit should be 400 points. That way, admittance to ORG is mid-point and, no matter who you are, entering ORG means that you're just as close to the top and you are the bottom. You can go either way and that seems to me to be the intent of the system.

Also, everyone gets the same weight. A 'neg' or a positive is 1 point, period. No unequal points just because of what your total rep points are.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    "...It has failed."

RBA got it right. It appears that as one garners more 'rep points' they gain more power. For instance, I got dinged the other day by someone and it cost me 3 points, not a single point for that single 'ding'. (If I'm wrong on that I'd like to see the rule in writing 'cause I looked for it and didn't find it.) From that, I have to conclude that it was someone that has a fairly high number of points, and, if that approach is carried on out, it would be only a slight while before a simple 'neg point' become a sledge hammer that carries more weight than it should entitle a member to wield.

Rem
    IIRC, a poster's reputation has nothing to do with how many pos/neg points they can give out. It's the number of posts a person has. So each time someone with 10K posts gives rep points, it's worth more than someone with 1K posts.

Unless I'm wrong.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    IIRC, a poster's reputation has nothing to do with how many pos/neg points they can give out. It's the number of posts a person has. So each time someone with 10K posts gives rep points, it's worth more than someone with 1K posts.

Unless I'm wrong.
    You are correct, it's based on post count.

Turn Off Ads?