Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the user name of the poster leaving a rep. comment be shown to the receiver?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

105 86.07%
  • No

17 13.93%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation Points busted?

Re: Reputation Points busted?

Oh, and Steel, you're making all of us suffer from "rep point envy". Stop posting such insightful, helpful, and intelligent posts will ya?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I must not be part of the "cliche", whatever that means, because I never received one PM about a buddy system to gang up together to help pad someone's reputation point total.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Accountability is good. This makes folks more accountable to each other. Yes, every system has its flaws, which I think are adequately addressed in the limits set so folks cannot easily bypass the system. The board has improved greatly and the sniping is now rare indeed, which to me is the goal of the process anyhow. Also, I enjoy the feedback, both positive and negative, so I'm sure others do as well. Even though I sometimes get upset when someone dings me, I do try to see if the person had a good reason to do so.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It comes down to this. If you are in favor of Posters giving out 200 pts a pop, than it's not busted. If you do not, it's busted.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    It comes down to this. If you are in favor of Posters giving out 200 pts a pop, than it's not busted. If you do not, it's busted.
    No one has that much power
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    No one has that much power
    I'm not a math major, but some posters will have that much power in short order. It's like a snowball rolling down hill.

Please do the math.

Steel can give 11.

I can give 9.

Zombie can give 5.

Those are pretty small numbers, IMHO, and most of them get sent to the Live board.

This just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    Makes all the routine posts.

This entire thread makes no sense because there's absolutely no benefit at all to having 200 vs 2000. How can something be "abused" if it doesn't render any kind of benefit whatsoever?

RBA, just so you know, you have to give rep to 15 different people before you can give it back to the same person. If there's someone you think is really insightful who isnt in ORG yet and you want to be able to give that person some rep, then you have to give out elsewhere before you can go back. So if you don't feel the need to give rep to others in Reds Live, then you have to find another outlet for your rep points so you can get back to the people you want to get into ORG. I think that's one of the main reasons why certain people are getting a lot of it.

I think you're making something out of nothing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think we should get Marlboro Miles to buy rafts and Coleman lanterns and stuff.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Steel can give 11.

I can give 9.

Zombie can give 5.

Those are pretty small numbers, IMHO, and most of them get sent to the Live board.

This just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    Points start to add up. It's not a "big" deal now. But it will mushroom in short order. But I guess to some, only time will tell. So, I will gladly bump this up in a few months when my theory bores out.

I'm not a math major, but some posters will have that much power in short order. It's like a snowball rolling down hill.

Please do the math.
    -Register Date Factor: For every 365 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

-Post Count Factor: For every 4000 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

-Reputation Point Factor: For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Ok, so to get "200 points per pop" it would take:

Register date factor (site was started on Apr. 17, 2000) so max points this year is 5 points.

Post count: Most posts on the site is Krono with 30,000 (which is NOT the norm) even still, Krono's max points right now are 7 until he gets to 32,000. Next highest person is RedsBaron with 17,862 for 4 points.

Reputation points: Most rep points is 722 points (again, not the norm). Steel gets 7 points.

So, if you had a poster that joined the day the site opened, had Krono's post count, and Steel's rep points, they'd be able to give out 19 points right now. It doesn't seem likely that handing out 200 points at a time is "right around the corner" as 1) the first thing (register date) takes 365 days for your point total to increase, 2) post count takes 4000 posts to increase your point total, and 3) rep points take 100 to increase. I could see the rep point total increasing faster than the others, but really, its not like you're going to shoot up to 200 points of power overnight.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RBA, suppose a poster gets to 1 million points. What are you worried about? Seriously, I'm curious as to why this concerns you.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I could see the rep point total increasing faster than the others, but really, its not like you're going to shoot up to 200 points of power overnight.
    No, not overnight. By right around the corner, I meant a few months. It will happen, but we will apparently cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    RBA, suppose a poster gets to 1 million points. What are you worried about? Seriously, I'm curious as to why this concerns you.
    One million pts has the power to ban anyone here? Doesn't it? Why would that not concern anyone here?

One million pts has the power to ban anyone here? Doesn't it? Why would that not concern anyone here?
    Ban? There is no ban. Once you get to 200 points, it's over. You can't be "demoted" or "banned" and you can't go any higher.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?