Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the user name of the poster leaving a rep. comment be shown to the receiver?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

105 86.07%
  • No

17 13.93%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation Points busted?

Re: Reputation Points busted?

Just for some clarification:

-Even if you started with ORG posting access, you can lose that access IF your reputation drops below 100. That has not happened to anyone as of yet, and is balanced out by the fact that negatives only account for half of the rating "power" that positives do.

-Regarding new posters receiving large amounts of points shortly after joining, there are two other basic requirements that must be met before that poster is given ORG posting access. Besides having 200+ points, the member in question must be registered for a minimum of 30 days and have a minimum of 60 posts before they gain ORG posting access.

-As I said in my original post about the system, it's likely that there will be some tweaking involved. A great example of that is that GIK and I decided to lower the amount of "power" one receives for their number of posts by increasing that to 4000 posts to get 1 extra point. We'll continue to make changes, as we see necessary, so if it did ever get to the point that someone had so much "power" that they could almost single-handedly grant someone enough points to boost their reputation score to 200, or enough to lower someone's from 200 to 100, then we obviously need to reevaluate how much "power" a user can have. As others have mentioned, I don't see that happening anytime soon (including over the new few months). I BELIEVE the maximum reputation "power" that any one user currently has is 14, which would give users that 14 points for a positive and subtract 7 for a negative.

-Mass pruning (that drops a user's post count) should no longer be an issue, as the only time we've seen a significant drop in post counts is when I deleted the duplicate "Be the last person to..." thread. Since those discussions have moved off site (for bandwidth purposes), we won't see that happen again.

Thanks for the good questions and feedback.

Boss

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it does boil down to a "buddy system." It's no different than anything else. People who have similar likes and dislikes are going to bump each other, but, the good thing is that a lot of the ugly stuff has went away. Personally, I don't care about rep points. It's not hard to recognize the folks that really know their baseball and the folks that have a lot of buddies. It comes through over a period of time. I try, as much as I can, not to look at the Reputation, although I did take a look today and found a lot of the #'s quite amusing.

Bottom line is this is a great place to discuss Reds baseball with a lot of knowledgeable folks. Thanks again to GIK, Boss, and the Administrators for making it that way.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Thanks, Boss.

Man, I need to read things a little closer.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'm going to put my positives up on ebay
    Funniest thing I've seen all day!

And Kitty is the coolest to only give points in RedsLive.

I can understand some folks viewing this as an inevitable buddy system developing - but I think overall, it is a GREAT system. And WHAT'S SO WRONG about knowing that it is important to "be friendly" in one's posting? It's been so civil here - I'm enjoying it.
    The post amounts are intimidating to see, but it doesn't bother me in the least! Some folks live here more than others and i think it's cool that it is noted.

Everybody made good points on this topic IMO. I have sent some mods of "drummer" sites to RZ to witness a well-working way to deal with massive success and great numbers of viewers. The cats in charge deserve our praise.

thanks Redszone

Thanks Boss, I think we need that in a FAQ somewhere, this comes up quite a lot.
    Go Gators!

I believe that I have 13 rep points to give per each positive rating. I rarely give out my daily allotment of 5 per day mainly because I look for the best posts to rate. I'm pretty stingy with my rep, but I think it is something that posters have to earn.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Change I would like to see made is that the username of the person giving the rep points is mandatory.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Wow, over 700 pts. Sorry Steel, you make some awesome posts, but I don't think you warrant over 700 pts as opposed to posters like Rem and 919191 who makes outstanding points themselves. The disparity is mind boggling, obviously there are some abusing the system.
    Yes, and no.

I agree with REM regarding post counts carrying so much clout. The never-ending thread contributed to that, of course, and so do game threads.

That being said, many really good posters write often and some less often (Steel vs Stormy for instance). Those who post well and post often get more rep points. Doesn't mean Stormy's posts are any less respected than Steel's... for want of an example; I'm sure there are others.

I don't like negative points, and it wouldn't break my heart to see them done away with nor would I be hurt if post count clout was abandoned... but all in all, the new system has improved the content of the board, IMHO.

One last point... I thought everyone is forced to sign off on all comments now (neg as well as pos) or the comment wouldn't be accepted. Has that changed or did I misinterpret the concept?"
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-14-2005 at 01:08 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    One last point... I thought everyone had to sign off on all comments now (neg as well as pos). Has that changed?"
    I believe you have to enter some verbage when leaving feedback, but you currently DO NOT have to type your name (I always do).

So I could leave a neg feedback and type in &*^*aa, and it would take, or I could leave a positive and type in "great post, very informative - Red Leader" or something similar like I do now.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I always sign my name, not sure if it is mandatory
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    When they are using the buddy system, (and they are) they will soon approach giving out 40 pts a pop.
    I would absolutely love to know how you seem to have insider information regarding the use of this perceived practice, RBA.

I know a lot of people on this board; I even live with a couple... and I've even met you. If I give a buddy points, it's because I feel they deserve it.. or should I punish them for composing a darn good post just because I know them?

Incidently, I've given only three people that I know points... and each was deserved. To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen you post a whole lot. But if I see one that IMO is pretty darn good, I'll give you points too.

I don't reserve my rep points to just the Reds Live side because I don't think that's totally fair either. IMHO, the point system is not just to move people from one forum to another, but also to reward those who truly post in an intelligent manner... regardless of where they reside on the board.

And by intelligent, I mean well thought out, presented rationally and "nicely", regardless of the topic. Sometimes, it's because someone brings up a new idea that no one else has thought of; sometimes it's because they've done a lot of research on what there presenting for our benefit and learning experience. There are a whole lot of different reasons that can translate to a post that IMHO is deserving of praise via rep points.

Come on RBA, do you not trust the people on this board to be fair? Like you said, you've been around for a long time.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-14-2005 at 01:32 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    You are correct, it's based on post count.
    That bugs me a little. I've been here since Cincy.com, but I don't have the time to post as much as others who've been around as long and it's just not in my nature to post several times a day. Does that make me less able to discern whether a poster is up to the standards that we hope this board is about, and that I therefore should assign lesser rewards and sanctions? I don't think so.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The comment field IS required but what I was alluding to was making the system include the user's name who left the comment and having that information viewable to the poster who received it. While it would negate the anonymous aspect of it, I'm sure some feel that is a good thing while others do not. I'd like to get some feedback on it before potentially enabling that option.

Two changes I'd like to see and then I think the system would be at it's maximum situation:

1. Make the maximum for rep points 400. That makes ORG entry half-way between top and bottom. What ever that calculates out to in the number of points to give out in a 24 hour period should be sufficient. It would also limit power accumulating in groups or even an individule.

2. Any points given out (positive or negative) must be signed by member giving the points. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face then you shouldn't say it.

Just my 2 cents.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    That bugs me a little. I've been here since Cincy.com, but I don't have the time to post as much as others who've been around as long and it's just not in my nature to post several times a day. Does that make me less able to discern whether a poster is up to the standards that we hope this board is about, and that I therefore should assign lesser rewards and sanctions? I don't think so.
    No, it doesn't, and that's why that aspect of the formula is so lightly weighted (one additional "power" point for every 4000 points). It has very little impact on someone's reputation power.

Turn Off Ads?