Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I just saw Batman Begins...

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

So I just saw Batman Begins...

....and as a long time Batman fan, I must give it my unequivocal thumbs up. Great, great movie.

Was treated to a premiere courtesy of a local rock station who was giving out passes to tonight's special screening.

Some of my thoughts, and please fellow Batman fans, contribute your thoughts on this as you see this movie this week.

Christian Bale as Batman - Solid choice. He plays the three roles well, with enough inner conflict to make him a great Batman. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, he always looks like he has lipstick and face makeup on when he's wearing the Batman mask. Maybe that's just the way his face is, but it caught my eye. They have him doing quite a bit of martial arts training in the begining, which is a different touch, but it works in the context. Also does a great job of showing how he's conflicted by bats, and how he comes about to choose 'bats" as his weapon of fear.

Rather than share much else of the plot, because it has some nice turns, splits and surprises, I'll say there are several great points of humor littered during very serious scenes, which sets the tone for the movie. Made it go by quickly despite it being nearly 2:30 hours. The ending is great, a funny twist, and the entire theatre I was in roared with laughter and applause.

Commish. Gordon appears in the movie as "Sgt" Gordon, and sets up how the two work together in the series.

If your looking for a "pre-qual" or a continuation of the other Batman movies in the last two decades - don't.

The movie makes sure to cut the ties by making several big departures, including changes in details of how Bruce's parents are killed and who does it, a complete change from the first Batman w/ Michael Keaton.

The film is dark, yet makes light jokes at the right times to keep it moving.

The realism factor makes a big difference in learning how he becomes Batman as well, and I thought was a great touch. Lots of big time actors too, Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine, who at times steals the show.

Anyway, I've been a longtime Batman fan, and was quite irked at how much a steaming pile of you know what the last two movies have been.

From this fan, the movie gets a big thumbs up. Go see it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So I just saw Batman Begins...

Which villains are in this Batman?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Which villains are in this Batman?
    Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-14-2005 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typorific

Everything I've heard of the flick has been glowing. Batman is without a doubt my favorite comic book character and I am so thrilled to hear that they have finally captured the gritty essence of the Batman series. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Lots of big time actors too, Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine, who at times steals the show.
    Which one of these does not belong with the others?

Thanks for the report Josh..sounds like it's worth a viewing
    Go Gators!

Porkchop Sandwiches

Saw the 12:01 showing/ premiere last night. Amazing, just amazing. You WILL like this movie.

Thanks for the report, Josh. Did the artist formerly known as Prince do the soundtrack? I really like Prince.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Saw the 12:01 showing/ premiere last night. Amazing, just amazing. You WILL like this movie.
    Just got back, ABSOLUTELY loved it. This is by far the best Batman movie yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It is very good. And this is coming from a Marvel fan (come on, I grew up in the 70s, how could I avoid it?). Lots of big name actors playing smaller roles so that they don't get annoying and cloud the fact that you're watching a movie about a comic book hero. Not a lot of fluff and wasted energy--gets down to business early and often. Very entertaining.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I liked it too. I can't believe the guy who directed "Memento" ended-up directing a Batman movie. It made me wonder what Guy Pearce would've been like in the Batman role although I thought Christian Bale was very good. I also loved the performances of Cillian Murphy and Morgan Freeman.
    The only bad things about the movie(IMO):
    1.Katie Holmes' character was totally pointless. Why must every movie have a superfluous love interest? Bleh.
    2. Some of the stuff about the nature of evil, criminals blah blah blah seemed kind of stupid. I know it's just an action movie but really there's no need to insult the audience's intelligence unduly.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    1.Katie Holmes' character was totally pointless. Why must every movie have a superfluous love interest? Bleh.
    But she was hot.

I do agree. With Spiderman, you had Mary Jane. With Superman, you had Lois Lane. With Batman, you dont have that luxury unless you work Catwoman into the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    But she was hot.

I do agree. With Spiderman, you had Mary Jane. With Superman, you had Lois Lane. With Batman, you dont have that luxury unless you work Catwoman into the equation.
    Gotham is Batman's woman.

Also, nobody can stop Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman
    Go Gators!

Can't wait to see it. Here's a scene on the cutting room floor. Katie Holmes was busy

Gotham PD
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?