Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I just saw Batman Begins...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

So I just saw Batman Begins...

....and as a long time Batman fan, I must give it my unequivocal thumbs up. Great, great movie.

Was treated to a premiere courtesy of a local rock station who was giving out passes to tonight's special screening.

Some of my thoughts, and please fellow Batman fans, contribute your thoughts on this as you see this movie this week.

Christian Bale as Batman - Solid choice. He plays the three roles well, with enough inner conflict to make him a great Batman. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, he always looks like he has lipstick and face makeup on when he's wearing the Batman mask. Maybe that's just the way his face is, but it caught my eye. They have him doing quite a bit of martial arts training in the begining, which is a different touch, but it works in the context. Also does a great job of showing how he's conflicted by bats, and how he comes about to choose 'bats" as his weapon of fear.

Rather than share much else of the plot, because it has some nice turns, splits and surprises, I'll say there are several great points of humor littered during very serious scenes, which sets the tone for the movie. Made it go by quickly despite it being nearly 2:30 hours. The ending is great, a funny twist, and the entire theatre I was in roared with laughter and applause.

Commish. Gordon appears in the movie as "Sgt" Gordon, and sets up how the two work together in the series.

If your looking for a "pre-qual" or a continuation of the other Batman movies in the last two decades - don't.

The movie makes sure to cut the ties by making several big departures, including changes in details of how Bruce's parents are killed and who does it, a complete change from the first Batman w/ Michael Keaton.

The film is dark, yet makes light jokes at the right times to keep it moving.

The realism factor makes a big difference in learning how he becomes Batman as well, and I thought was a great touch. Lots of big time actors too, Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine, who at times steals the show.

Anyway, I've been a longtime Batman fan, and was quite irked at how much a steaming pile of you know what the last two movies have been.

From this fan, the movie gets a big thumbs up. Go see it.

Re: So I just saw Batman Begins...

Which villains are in this Batman?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Which villains are in this Batman?
    Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 06-14-2005 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typorific

Everything I've heard of the flick has been glowing. Batman is without a doubt my favorite comic book character and I am so thrilled to hear that they have finally captured the gritty essence of the Batman series. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Lots of big time actors too, Morgan Freeman, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine, who at times steals the show.
    Which one of these does not belong with the others?

Thanks for the report Josh..sounds like it's worth a viewing
    Go Gators!

Porkchop Sandwiches

Saw the 12:01 showing/ premiere last night. Amazing, just amazing. You WILL like this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Saw the 12:01 showing/ premiere last night. Amazing, just amazing. You WILL like this movie.
    Just got back, ABSOLUTELY loved it. This is by far the best Batman movie yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It is very good. And this is coming from a Marvel fan (come on, I grew up in the 70s, how could I avoid it?). Lots of big name actors playing smaller roles so that they don't get annoying and cloud the fact that you're watching a movie about a comic book hero. Not a lot of fluff and wasted energy--gets down to business early and often. Very entertaining.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Thanks for the report, Josh. Did the artist formerly known as Prince do the soundtrack? I really like Prince.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I liked it too. I can't believe the guy who directed "Memento" ended-up directing a Batman movie. It made me wonder what Guy Pearce would've been like in the Batman role although I thought Christian Bale was very good. I also loved the performances of Cillian Murphy and Morgan Freeman.
    The only bad things about the movie(IMO):
    1.Katie Holmes' character was totally pointless. Why must every movie have a superfluous love interest? Bleh.
    2. Some of the stuff about the nature of evil, criminals blah blah blah seemed kind of stupid. I know it's just an action movie but really there's no need to insult the audience's intelligence unduly.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    1.Katie Holmes' character was totally pointless. Why must every movie have a superfluous love interest? Bleh.
    But she was hot.

I do agree. With Spiderman, you had Mary Jane. With Superman, you had Lois Lane. With Batman, you dont have that luxury unless you work Catwoman into the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    But she was hot.

I do agree. With Spiderman, you had Mary Jane. With Superman, you had Lois Lane. With Batman, you dont have that luxury unless you work Catwoman into the equation.
    Gotham is Batman's woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    But she was hot.

Bah! Mary Jane Watson couldn't carry Gwen Stacey's go-go boots. Ok...ok...so Gwen did cheat on Peter with Norman Osborne (resulting in two kids). But she was still hotter.

Lana Lang was hotter than Lois seven days a week.

I haven't seen the new Batman film yet, but I would have figured that Talia (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter) would have been in the thick of things as Batman's love interest.

She and the Dark Knight did, after all, conceive a child.

But then, both Marvel and DC do cruddy work with girlfriends, wives, and love interests.

Heck, Alicia Masters proved to us all that only a blind woman would love someone who looked like The Thing. And get this- Johnny Storm ended up marrying Alicia...or so he thought...(more later)

The best squeeze Matt Murdock ever had was falsely told she had AIDS when Mysterio tangled with DD. That was a lie of course, but then Bullseye showed up and Karen Page died in Daredevil's arms. Ol' hornhead did have a fling or two with Elektra, but she always runs off. Now she's been killed by the Gorgon and reanimated by Hydra. Nice treatment there, gang. To top it all off, the blind lawyer found a blind chick he dug and ended up marrying her. Of course, he also went nuts from stress and she asked him for a divorce. Don't agree to marry crazy costumed vigilantes. That's bad.

Betty Ross loved Bruce Banner, but the whole father in law thing would have never worked out in the first place as old Thunderbolt Ross' main mission in life was to kill the Hulk.

Sue Storm could have turned her clothes invisible for any man on the planet, but chooses Reed Richards to be the lucky guy. He should have used the Ultimate Nullifier when he first faced Galactus. Would have blinked Galactus AND himself out of existence. Two birds. One stone.

While we're talking about the fab four freaks from Four Freedom's plaza, Johnny Storm got it on with Crystal from the Inhumans. She was a cutie all right. But she had to return to her home because she couldn't handle New York smog. Crystal ended up marrying Pietro Maximoff and that marriage fell apart as it was destined to because Pietro is a jerk. So Johnny moved on and ended up with Ben's old squeeze...or so he thought...Alicia Masters. Even married her. Problem is that the chick he married wasn't Alicia. She was a Skrull. There goes that one, but at least it wasn't Johnny's fault. He hooked up with a chick named Frankie Raye as well. She was cool. Then Galactus showed up and she left Johnny to become his new Herald. This again demonstrates the Reed should have used the Ultimate Nullifier. For a smart guy, Reed's pretty stupid.

Jean Grey keeps dying. Professor X loves Lilandra of the Shi'ar, but the drawback is that she needs to preen her feathers in another galaxy most of the day, leaving little time for Chuck. Oh, that, and her sister keeps trying to off everyone in sight. Marvel even killed off Wolvie's sweetie, Mariko. Snikt. Who knows if Peter Rasputin will FINALLY make it with Kitty Pryde before he gets offed again. In any case, Kitty's been waiting since before she was even legal.

Henry Pym's main relationship claim to fame is beating up his wife. And speaking of dysfunctional relationships, Wanda Maximoff married a dang Android, cheated on him with a dead guy, fabricated two kids she never had, went crazy (yes, redundant I know) and killed her hubby, Ant Man, and Hawkeye and messed a whole lot of other stuff up for the Marvel Universe by changing reality all over the place.

Over at DC, things weren't any better...

Even when they were together, the Black Canary and Green Arrow needed couples counseling.

Dick Grayson sorta had a thing for Barbara Gordon, but never even kissed her until AFTER the Joker plunked a slug into her spine; paralyzing one of the most interesting characters around. Of course, now she's another one of the most interesting characters around. But still. Leave her alone!

Ralph Dibney's wife Sue? Raped by Dr. Light, and then killed years later by the ex-wife of the Atom. Yeah. Fun.

Kyle Rayner's girlfriend? Killed by Major Force and stuffed into a refrigerator right after Rayner donned a certain green ring. He later got together with Alan Scott's emerald-hued daughter which seemed to be a match made in Oa. Eh. Broke up.

Metamorpho died. Came back to life though because heck, how can a being made of pure elements really die? Problem was that before he came back a piece of him animated itself, gained sentience and started dating an android alien chick. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but consider how messed up that'll make a robot chick from another planet.

Barry Allen gave his life to save the universe. But not before Professor Zoom killed Iris Allen. Then Wally West started dating and finally got it right with Linda Park. Problem was that Abra Kadabra blinked her out of existence, erasing her from the mind of everyone but Bart Allen. And, like anyone would believe him. That all got resolved and then Hal Jordan shows up wearing his Spectre suit, grants Wally's wish that everything change and Linda ends up forgetting HIM. Bwahahahahaha!!!!

And that's why I like Bruce Wayne's way of doing things. No mess. No committments. No problems like chicks getting killed or stolen by huge cosmic-powered planet eaters or blinked out of existence. His love-em-and-leave-em style really protects the girls in his life and keeps things less complicated for him.

Well, unless we consider all that back child support he's going to have to pay...someday...
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-16-2005 at 01:01 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Bah! Mary Jane Watson couldn't carry Gwen Stacey's go-go boots. Ok...ok...so Gwen did cheat on Peter with Norman Osborne (resulting in two kids). But she was still hotter.

Lana Lang was hotter than Lois seven days a week.

I haven't seen the new Batman film yet, but I would have figured that Talia (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter) would have been in the thick of things as Batman's love interest.

She and the Dark Knight did, after all, conceive a child.

But then, both Marvel and DC do cruddy work with girlfriends, wives, and love interests.

Heck, Alicia Masters proved to us all that only a blind woman would love someone who looked like The Thing. And get this- Johnny Storm ended up marrying Alicia...or so he thought...(more later)

The best squeeze Matt Murdock ever had was falsely told she had AIDS when Mysterio tangled with DD. That was a lie of course, but then Bullseye showed up and Karen Page died in Daredevil's arms. Ol' hornhead did have a fling or two with Elektra, but she always runs off. Now she's been killed by the Gorgon and reanimated by Hydra. Nice treatment there, gang. To top it all off, the blind lawyer found a blind chick he dug and ended up marrying her. Of course, he also went nuts from stress and she asked him for a divorce. Don't agree to marry crazy costumed vigilantes. That's bad.

Betty Ross loved Bruce Banner, but the whole father in law thing would have never worked out in the first place as old Thunderbolt Ross' main mission in life was to kill the Hulk.

Sue Storm could have turned her clothes invisible for any man on the planet, but chooses Reed Richards to be the lucky guy. He should have used the Ultimate Nullifier when he first faced Galactus. Would have blinked Galactus AND himself out of existence. Two birds. One stone.

While we're talking about the fab four freaks from Four Freedom's plaza, Johnny Storm got it on with Crystal from the Inhumans. She was a cutie all right. But she had to return to her home because she couldn't handle New York smog. Crystal ended up marrying Pietro Maximoff and that marriage fell apart as it was destined to because Pietro is a jerk. So Johnny moved on and ended up with Ben's old squeeze...or so he thought...Alicia Masters. Even married her. Problem is that the chick he married wasn't Alicia. She was a Skrull. There goes that one, but at least it wasn't Johnny's fault. He hooked up with a chick named Frankie Raye as well. She was cool. Then Galactus showed up and she left Johnny to become his new Herald. This again demonstrates the Reed should have used the Ultimate Nullifier. For a smart guy, Reed's pretty stupid.

Jean Grey keeps dying. Professor X loves Lilandra of the Shi'ar, but the drawback is that she needs to preen her feathers in another galaxy most of the day, leaving little time for Chuck. Oh, that, and her sister keeps trying to off everyone in sight. Marvel even killed off Wolvie's sweetie, Mariko. Snikt. Who knows if Peter Rasputin will FINALLY make it with Kitty Pryde before he gets offed again. In any case, Kitty's been waiting since before she was even legal.

Henry Pym's main relationship claim to fame is beating up his wife. And speaking of dysfunctional relationships, Wanda Maximoff married a dang Android, cheated on him with a dead guy, fabricated two kids she never had, went crazy (yes, redundant I know) and killed her hubby, Ant Man, and Hawkeye and messed a whole lot of other stuff up for the Marvel Universe by changing reality all over the place.

Over at DC, things weren't any better...

Even when they were together, the Black Canary and Green Arrow needed couples counseling.

Dick Grayson sorta had a thing for Barbara Gordon, but never even kissed her until AFTER the Joker plunked a slug into her spine; paralyzing one of the most interesting characters around. Of course, now she's another one of the most interesting characters around. But still. Leave her alone!

Ralph Dibney's wife Sue? Raped by Dr. Light, and then killed years later by the ex-wife of the Atom. Yeah. Fun.

Kyle Rayner's girlfriend? Killed by Major Force and stuffed into a refrigerator right after Rayner donned a certain green ring. He later got together with Alan Scott's emerald-hued daughter which seemed to be a match made in Oa. Eh. Broke up.

Metamorpho died. Came back to life though because heck, how can a being made of pure elements really die? Problem was that before he came back a piece of him animated itself, gained sentience and started dating an android alien chick. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but consider how messed up that'll make a robot chick from another planet.

Barry Allen gave his life to save the universe. But not before Professor Zoom killed Iris Allen. Then Wally West started dating and finally got it right with Linda Park. Problem was that Abra Kadabra blinked her out of existence, erasing her from the mind of everyone but Bart Allen. And, like anyone would believe him. That all got resolved and then Hal Jordan shows up wearing his Spectre suit, grants Wally's wish that everything change and Linda ends up forgetting HIM. Bwahahahahaha!!!!

And that's why I like Bruce Wayne's way of doing things. No mess. No committments. No problems like chicks getting killed or stolen by huge cosmic-powered planet eaters or blinked out of existence. His love-em-and-leave-em style really protects the girls in his life and keeps things less complicated for him.

Well, unless we consider all that back child support he's going to have to pay...someday...
    You need to get out more!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?