Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: player encounters

Re: player encounters

Nice story about Harry. That's why people loved him, he was the guy at the end of the bar that just loved to talk and would ramble. Nobody else ever tries "Did you know his name spelled backwards is".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nobody else ever tries "Did you know his name spelled backwards is".
    Probably because most are looking for a good patsy for the "Pull my Finger" joke.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Now those folks could have a festival.... I once was introduced to Dave Rose by my GF dad, he was impressed by it I wasn't... I wanted to meet Pete.

BTW My friend had a bad autograph experience with Pete at the Gardens, Pete was rude and my friend was about 8 years old, he told me after that day Bench was his favorite player.
    I have practically no memory of meeting Pete because of the state of shock I put myself into over it. I met Dave on a few occasions when I was playing a lot of softball. The restaurant I worked at in highschool was managed by a guy who used to be a middleman and we all took bets over the phone for him. I'm pretty sure we used to get calls from Dave...from his barstool at the Delhi House. Nice enough guy, but not a lot going for him, really.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Romans 10:9

[QUOTE=OldRightHander] When we got up there we were the only ones in that area and there was Harry Caray sitting there in one of the seats drinking a Coke (can you believe that?) and watching BP with a big grin on his face.

I find it difficult to believe that Harry Caray ever drank "just a coke."

I played in an Alumni team vs. the Reds basketball game a few years back. The Reds team featured such Reds luminaries as Byron Larkin, Bobby Morris, Mo Sanford, Tim Pugh and Rob Dibble. My brother drew a charge on Dibble (which means he was knocked across the lane). Joe Oliver's Jump shot is good out to about 30'.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

[QUOTE=Jesus Freak]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    When we got up there we were the only ones in that area and there was Harry Caray sitting there in one of the seats drinking a Coke (can you believe that?) and watching BP with a big grin on his face.

I find it difficult to believe that Harry Caray ever drank "just a coke."
    I read somewhere that toward the end he was cutting back on the beer quite a bit. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

That's a great story about Harry. I always liked him just because you could tell he really loved the game. That story just furthers that perception of him.

I saw David Weathers eating lunch at TGIFriday's the other day.

Pretty cool, eh? I bet you're all jealous.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    I saw David Weathers eating lunch at TGIFriday's the other day.

Pretty cool, eh? I bet you're all jealous.
    Why should I be jealous of him? I've gotten to eat there a few times too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Why should I be jealous of him? I've gotten to eat there a few times too.
    His Fries weren't limp.

I've seen Ray Knight in the Gold Star in Covington and Jim Brower in the food court in the Florence Mall.

no wonder ray knight has heart probs

My first encounter with a Reds player came when I was 11 years old. I met Pete Rose at (then) Latonia Raceway. We were sitting in the VIP tables (my Dad took the family there for my Mom's birthday- Pete's birthday as well, April 14th) and he came walking in with a full length fur coat on and his wife (at the time, Carolyn, I believe). I looked at my Dad and said "that's Pete Rose!". I asked my Dad if I could get his autograph and my Dad told me not to bother him. I kept staring at him for about an hour and a half. Finally, Pete looked over at me and waved. I waved back, and he said "come over here, son." I walked over and talked with him for about a minute or so and he gave me his autograph. It was a great moment for me as an 11 year old.

Another great moment for me came the next year. Dayton used to have a golf tournament called "Bogey Busters". I signed up to caddy that tournament when I was 12. I got to caddy for Bobby Knight (my Dad cringed when he heard who I was assigned to) but the best part was that Johnny Bench was in the same group as Bobby Knight, so I got to meet him, too. He was my idol when I was a little kid.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I've seen Ray Knight in the Gold Star in Covington and Jim Brower in the food court in the Florence Mall.
    Were they wearing paper hats?

Makes all the routine posts.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

For only still being a teenager, I've had my fair share of Major League experiences.

My first one was 3 or 4 years ago in Atlanta. My dad, my younger brother and I went down to Turner Field to catch a couple of games. The first night of the trip we caught a Braves-Padres game when Reggie Sanders played for the Padres. I got a few players autographs and then Reggie Sanders ran in from batting practice and I yelled, "Reggie, I wish we still had you in Cincinnati." He saw my Reds jersey and kind of waved. A few minutes later Reggie comes running out with a baseball and threw it up to me. I caught it and saw it was signed by him. My Reggie respect grew greatly that night.

The next night the Redlegs rolled into town and during warmups I was one of the few fans trying to get the Reds autographs. It started raining while some of the Reds were tossing when out of no where Aaron Boone lets one sail over Jason Larue's head. I run up and get my second ball in two days!! I was so pumped. Lightning ensued and the players went inside. Half an hour later, some of the Reds relievers came outside to get loose. One of them was Scott Sullivan. My dad is one of those west-side boys who is just social to every one (and in turn embarrases me greatly). Any ways, he went up to talk to Sully, since it was a rain delay many fair-weathered Braves fans left so my dad and Sully talked for a while. I joined in talking and learned that Sully was just a terrific guy. A few years later, during the firesale of 2003, I went down to the Reds dugout to see good old Sully signing some autographs. I asked him if he was going to be traded, he looked me in the eye and said, I think so but I'd hate it. Sure enough one of my favorite Reds departed just to save a few bucks.

The last story I can recall was also a few years back, at the beginning of interleague play. My dad took my brother and I to the White Sox hotel to go get some autographs. The Big Hurt didn't come out but I got like 16 autographs or something. Most players signed for my brother, myself and two autograph hunters and then borded the team bus. However, Keith Foulke was different. We talked for a few minutes and then my dad got a picture of us with him. Great, great guy, no one more deserving of a WS ring.

Those are my experiences to date.

Turn Off Ads?