Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: player encounters

Re: player encounters

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Bingo!
    One of our all time great player encounters came when my dad cut Pete off on 5th street. He pulled up at Walnut and started yelling at my dad from inside his Rolls. My dad told him he'd kick is --s if he didn't think it would keep the Reds from beating the Dodgers in the pennant race. Pete thought that was pretty funny and that was the end of it.
    Best post ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone here knows it would be easy for me to start telling about who I've ran into in real life now that Todd's with the Reds, so this isn't who I've met but what I witnessed in Cincinnati when a boy recognized Todd. I don't know if I've posted this before on here. This was the day after Todd's first mlb appearance and Todd, our parents, his wife and kids, and I were in the Reds gift shop at the stadium around lunch time. Todd was checking out for us so we could use his discount. A 9 or 10 year old redheaded boy walked up behind him. He stared up at Todd and asked, "Sir, are you Todd Coffey?" Todd turns around smiling and says "Yes, I am." The kid asked "Can I shake your hand?" While Todd is shaking his hand the boy's eyes are wide open while he just says "WOW". Here I am watching this all happen with a mixture of feelings. After only one game in the Majors, here a kid is looking up to my brother like he is somekind of superstar/hero and then again its just my little brother. This one moment brought back all the memories of Todd and I going to Braves games and playing baseball for our dad who coached us from T-ball until High School. The kid never asks for anything else while shaking Todd's hand. Todd bought a ball for the kid signed it and gave it to him. It was probably the most surreal and memorable moment I had while in Cincinnati.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Aww, Coffeybro, that's such a sweet story!! It definitely made me smile!!

I met Todd in NYC last May, and when I went up to ask for his autograph, he gave me the weirdest look at first. For a moment, I was afraid that he had a clone walking around, and that I had asked the wrong guy for an autograph!! : But the "deer in the headlights" look disappeared, and he was very nice and signed for me.
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

The only encounter with a Red that I ever had was during the all star break of 1995. I was with my brother at Kings Island standing in line for the Vortex, when my bro taps me on the shoulder and whispers "that's Reggie Sanders standing right in front of us", of course I thought he was messing with me as older brothers often do so I decided to call his bluff, I promptly yelled "Reggie!". My brother quickly turned away in embarrassment as I stood there like an idiot (I couldn't see him before since I was right behind him and he was much bigger than me) as Reggie turned around, he looked at me and softly said "Yes?" I was speechless since I didn't think it was really him, so my brother made me look even worse by telling him exactly why I yelled his name. I got the last laugh though, Reggie and his girlfriend/wife ended up sitting right in front of us on the ride, and apparently I was the only one that wasn't afraid of roller coasters as I thought it would be funny as Reggie was screaming like a little girl to pat him on the shoulder from my seat and yell to him that he was going to be fine.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    The only encounter with a Red that I ever had was during the all star break of 1995. I was with my brother at Kings Island standing in line for the Vortex, when my bro taps me on the shoulder and whispers "that's Reggie Sanders standing right in front of us", of course I thought he was messing with me as older brothers often do so I decided to call his bluff, I promptly yelled "Reggie!". My brother quickly turned away in embarrassment as I stood there like an idiot (I couldn't see him before since I was right behind him and he was much bigger than me) as Reggie turned around, he looked at me and softly said "Yes?" I was speechless since I didn't think it was really him, so my brother made me look even worse by telling him exactly why I yelled his name. I got the last laugh though, Reggie and his girlfriend/wife ended up sitting right in front of us on the ride, and apparently I was the only one that wasn't afraid of roller coasters as I thought it would be funny as Reggie was screaming like a little girl to pat him on the shoulder from my seat and yell to him that he was going to be fine.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I met Roberto Clemente briefly in Puerto Rico. My best friend was the batboy for the San Juan Senators and Clemente was the manager. He died the next year.

But the "player encounter" I remember the most was with Frank Robinson. He was managing the Santurce Cangrejeros (my favorite team) in 1972 and lived in the same apartment complex as I did (with my parents...I'm not that old).
    A bunch of players did (Elrod Hendricks and Don Baylor come to mind). He used to hang out by the pool with daughter (IIRC) and I'd bug him about the team.

I remember one particular game when the team was up 9-1 going into the bottom of the ninth (we were on the road) and ended up losing 10-9 (I am not exaggerating...it actually happened). I ran into Robinson the next day in the lobby and called out "Hey Frank, what happened?" (yeah...smart ass kid). He just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head and said "It won't happen again".

(Now I realize...as if...that kind of thing happens every 50 years or so.)

He always really nice but I never asked him for an autograph.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I was at the Head First Sports Bar on 3rd Street on Opening Day this year, and we were over there celebrating a Reds victory after the game. A little while later, Ryan Freel walks in. He gets really upset at first when he's not allowed to go behind the bar and make his drinks like apparently he is usually able to. Anyway, I'm up by the bar, and he is standing beside me, and we get to talking, he buys me a beer, and we talk for a few minutes. Well he's pretty hammered, and then him and the guy he's with leave 10 minutes later or so, and of course the rest is history as later that night he gets his DUI. Seeing him after the game, I can definitely see how this happened!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodwilly98
    I was at the Head First Sports Bar on 3rd Street on Opening Day this year, and we were over there celebrating a Reds victory after the game. A little while later, Ryan Freel walks in. He gets really upset at first when he's not allowed to go behind the bar and make his drinks like apparently he is usually able to. Anyway, I'm up by the bar, and he is standing beside me, and we get to talking, he buys me a beer, and we talk for a few minutes. Well he's pretty hammered, and then him and the guy he's with leave 10 minutes later or so, and of course the rest is history as later that night he gets his DUI. Seeing him after the game, I can definitely see how this happened!!

Umm... if your story is true, I'm really sorry to hear about this run-in, as this isn't the kind fo run-in with a ballplayer (a well-liked ballplayer) that one would truly want to remember. I couldn't imagine the embarrassment that Freel must have felt the morning after with his mug shot plastered over every news outlet and his subsequent apologies. I really couldn't imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    Umm... if your story is true, I'm really sorry to hear about this run-in, as this isn't the kind fo run-in with a ballplayer (a well-liked ballplayer) that one would truly want to remember. I couldn't imagine the embarrassment that Freel must have felt the morning after with his mug shot plastered over every news outlet and his subsequent apologies. I really couldn't imagine it.
    Yeah, I didn't say it was a pleasant encounter in the end, but it was a player encounter nontheless. No doubt he was embarrassed beyond belief. But I'm sure he learned from it, and is a better person because of it. He has went on to have around a .300 BA after all

Awesome, Coffeybro. I can't even imagine what that must have felt like... for either of you.

Now, give us some juice on the rest of the guys.

BTW, is Todd single, unattached?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Sundeck, that was priceless... and good for your Dad!!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Family friend went to the same college as Mike Hargrove. He graduated right before Hargrove was there, or shortly after Hargrove got there. He came through Ohio in the mid-90s and stayed with my parents, so he, my brother, my dad, and I went up to see an Indians game. It was pretty cool. It was the last year they were in there old stadium. We went up to the screen and our friend called Hargrove over and started talking to him. I think that might have been Mitchell's last year with the Reds, as it seems like we talked about some controversy involving Mitchell when he found out we were Reds fans. A bp ball rolled up to the wall and Hargrove gave it to my brother.

After the game we waited by the player exit to talk to Hargrove again. Albert Belle spent probably 45 minutes signing things for everybody that was there outside the door. We were toward the back, because we knew Hargrove would come over to our friend anyway. My brother handed Belle the BP ball for him to sign. He signed and then looked at me, like "what's wrong with you, don't you have something you want me to sign?". He didn't say that, but he must have been thinking it from his expression and body language. . Carlos Baerga spent a ton of time out there too. It was a neat experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Were they wearing paper hats?

No, they were just picking trays up off the trash containers.

BTW, is Todd single, unattached?
    Sorry for those hoping he is but he has been married for 6 years now with 2 kids.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Great thread. Thanks for posting it in Reds Live so everyone can participate.

Back in 1991 my sister and I went to Eastgate Mall to stand in line for Paul O'Neill's autograph. This being the year after the Reds won the World Series, you can imagine the line was pretty long. They finally had to stop letting people get in line, and they cut it right behind my sister and me, so we were last in line! Paul smiled and signed autographs and talked to people for over two hours, and by the time my sister and I got to him, he was just as friendly to us as if we were the first two in line. I still have the 8x10 black and white photo with his signature on it. I miss ol' Paul. He was always one of my favorites.

Turn Off Ads?