Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: player encounters

Re: player encounters

This is about the best celebrity encounter story I have heard from someone I know:

I went to visit my son, Nathan, in Portland, Oregon, in September of 2002. He had been living there just a few months and was loving it. He wanted me to come out and play, so I did.

As we drove through the sights and sounds of Portland, Nathan, realizing he had a captive audience, and it was his dad, no less, began, in his haphazard way, to cram CDs into the player. He would rustle through his large lap books gorged with CDs while driving full tilt through Portland traffic to feed the player with Flogging Molly, the Mountain Goats, Less Than Jake, and whatever ska was new and undiscovered by everyone but him. He was giving me massive sound bites into where he was, but they were coming so fast, loud, and heavy that assimilation was impossible.

Then he said, "Oh, I think you'll like this," and he put in Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips. He played all the CD, unheard-of in his attention-deficit world. While the tracks progressed, he told me the story he had heard involving the album, how the band had befriended a Japanese woman while touring overseas and how, later, they began getting cryptic e-mails from her sisters regarding her state of health. The translation in the e-mails was very inexact, but it appeared she was dying, or perhaps was already dead, from a heart ailment of some type.

Nathan related the story over the soundtrack that was the CD. "Do you realize—that happiness makes you cry? Do you realize—that everyone you know someday will die?" The richness of the tale about transcendence and journeys, life and death, left me profoundly shaken, almost exhausted. He saw my reaction as he swerved along and gratefully paused a few beats before slamming in Toys That Kill.

During that week with my son, he showed me many things in "his" town, we ate some marvelous cheap Mexican food, went to see Wilco at Roseland, but through all this, I continued to ponder this beautiful story I had been assaulted with.

I returned home, very weary, very satisfied from my short visit.

December 2, Nathan went to see Beck and the Flaming Lips in Portland. One week later, Nathan suffered a brain-stem bleed and was dead within five days.

Going through his belongings, I found two copies of Yoshimi.

Mid-2003, I received some correspondence from a girl that worked with Nathan at the bakery. She said that he had remarked the night of the concert that he would love to appear onstage with the Flaming Lips. The concert really jacked him. She went on to say that the Lips had just played another concert in Portland and that she and a few other girls from the bakery had, oddly enough, been invited onstage during the show. Wayne Coyne was told the story of Nathan, and in her correspondence was a show flyer signed by him, stating simply "Nathan RIP Do You Realize?," and several freehand drawings of the cover of Yoshimi.

Do you realize—that everyone you know someday will die?
    And instead of saying all of your goodbyes—let them know
    You realize that life goes fast
    It's hard to make the good things last
    You realize the sun doesn't go down
    It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I was 9 years old I asked Charlie Moore of the brewers during a spring training game for an autograph. He said he'd do it after the game. I was skeptical, he came out of the locker room with a towel around him looking for me. When he found me I didn't know what to make of it. I thought it was some sort of prank. I didn't really know what he looked like and I said no thanks. Later I saw his baseball card and realized it really was him. Felt like a jerk for about 15 years.

Great Story Betterread... I was at all those aforementioned shows too.

That's heartbreaking Betterread.

Nathan sounds like he was a great guy. I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Betterread, that was a very beautiful, very moving story.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Betterread..great story
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Betterread, thank you for sharing such a beautiful story.

It sounds like Nathan was a very lucky guy to have such a wonderful Dad.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'll hug my son a little harder today and tomorrow.

Happy Fathers Day.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-17-2005 at 11:33 AM.

Turn Off Ads?