Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 'Marriage died before husband did

'Marriage died before husband did

Woman selling casket of soon-to-be ex-husband
    'Marriage died before husband did,' Ohio woman says

The Associated Press
    Updated: 2:20 p.m. ET June 14, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio - It won't be death that parts them, so Dixie Fisher is trying to sell the casket her soon-to-be ex-husband planned to use when he dies.

Fisher, of suburban Columbus, placed a classified ad in the newspaper last week hoping to sell the steel casket the couple kept in their garage.

"Marriage died before husband did," read the ad in The Columbus Dispatch.

Fisher and David Budd, who are divorcing, bought the gray casket a year ago from a friend who works at a metal salvage business. Budd said he agreed Fisher should sell the casket.

"There wasn't anybody in it, and it looked like it had never been used," Fisher said.

Fisher plans to be cremated, but the couple thought the casket would come in handy for Budd.

"I told my husband that, if nothing else, it was a good investment for the future," Fisher said.

Budd said having his own casket in the garage never bothered him.

"When it's my time to go, it's my time to go," he said.

The couple also said they have a taste for the macabre: married on Halloween in 1997, they had a party the next day featuring bride-and-groom skeleton decorations.

Fisher is asking $980 for the casket.

"I'm really pressed for money, and I'm hoping I can use some of it for attorney fees," she said.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: 'Marriage died before husband did

I read this in this morning's paper. W-E-I-R-D people. Buy your casket at a young age and keep it in your garage? W-E-I-R-D. Everyone has got their own and that is fine. But the husband is downright strange. I am surprised that he was not given 1/2 the casket in the settlement!?!

Reminds me of a "King of the Hill" episode where Hank builds caskets for him and his wife Peggy in their garage. Then they get drunk and passout in them.

I interviewed at a company that had a casket lying around. The lid was closed, and I wasn't about to open it. Apparently they'd just gotten Batesville as a client.

It made for a creepy atmosphere.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Reminds me of a "King of the Hill" episode where Hank builds caskets for him and his wife Peggy in their garage. Then they get drunk and passout in them.
    Heh heh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    I interviewed at a company that had a casket lying around. The lid was closed, and I wasn't about to open it. Apparently they'd just gotten Batesville as a client.

It made for a creepy atmosphere.
    It was a warning of what happened to the guy who used to have the job you were applying for
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    It was a warning of what happened to the guy who used to have the job you were applying for
    The "small talk" portion of the interview involved my asking that very question.

Hillarious that someone would buy a casket because they got a good deal and then be willing to store it in the garage the rest of their life.. Geez
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    The "small talk" portion of the interview involved my asking that very question.

So..who died?
    Go Gators!

I was told their old agency was in there, and that the stench was terrible.

Turn Off Ads?