Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Information on turning off the anonymity of the reputation system

Information on turning off the anonymity of the reputation system

Regarding this earlier post I made:

Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Well, based on the poll results, it's pretty obvious that the vast, vast majority of the forum (who voted, anyway) are in favor of doing away with the anonymous reputations. I'm setting July 1st as the date that we're turning that option off (in other words, anonymous comments will no longer to be left at that date). So, the 10 most recent comments that are left between now and that date are the ones that a user will see who left them when it goes into effect. Thanks again for the feedback.

Boss
    A user sent me a PM today and brought up some good points about potential flaws with this. This person has viewable reputation he/she has received that dates back to May 4th, which would be the 10th most recently received reputation comment. I'm sure there are others that have similar feedback dates. The problem this presents is that even if we wait until July 1st to make feedback viewable, it's undoubtedly going to display your user name for someone's 10 most recent feedback comments, and that's not really fair since these comments were left given the impression they were made anonymously.

In any event, a couple of different suggestions were proposed. The first is to push the date we disable the anonymity even further, but that would have to be a substantially long date in the future, which I don't care for. The other option is to disable the anonymity almost immediately with one cavaet: anyone that does not want the user to see who left a negative reputation remark can send me a PM and I will delete that remark so it will go unseen once we turn off the anonymity. To be honest, it'll be a pain for me and some work I'd rather not do, but I'm willing to do it because I don't see any other plausible solutions and the consensus is that users want this feature turned off. Does anyone have any other potential ideas? If not, I guess we'll go ahead and turn it off in the next few days and I'll delete any feedback that has been left that a user requests via PM. Deleting comments will boost the receiver's reputation score because that negative/comment will no longer exist.

Boss

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Information on turning off the anonymity of the reputation system

Cant you just delete the comment but not the neg?

Does anyone have any other potential ideas?
    Make it mandatory, kick back and anyone who complains on the list about a past neg gets a 48 hour timeout.

No reason for you to do anything more... the board is full of adults. Demand that they act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Make it mandatory, kick back and anyone who complains on the list about a past neg gets a 48 hour timeout.

No reason for you to do anything more... the board is full of adults. Demand that they act like it.
    I like that option.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Great plan.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My last incoming rep dates back 3 weeks. I support a slightly longer waiting period.
    /r/reds

I agree with WOY.

People who made negative comments anonymously were not acting mature in the first place. But since retaliation *won't* be anonymous, I'm confident any problems that might arise can be dealt with in a mature manner.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

do it now and let the chips fall where they may.

So you're proposing turning off the anonmity, which will display the user's name leaving comments for past left reputation, and anyone who complains about the negative comment publicly should receive a 2 day ban?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

modify the query to only show the username starting today in the vbulletin template.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    People who made negative comments anonymously were not acting mature in the first place.
    why I should ding you anonymously... oops, but now I can't

I've done anonymous negs against posters who were getting personal with other posters, which bugs me. The reason that I tried this was because in the past I've tried posts, pms, and nonanonymous negs, to no real effect (more often to draw personal attacks on moi, which I really don't have time for). So I tried giving out the proverbial black jellybean-- the anonymous post

No surprise-- the anonymous negs didn't seem to have much effect either

but I'll come clean:

1. WVRed and savafan, I'm still not a fan of witch hunts. No need to threaten a poster with an organized barrage of negs

2. Jax: who dug up an old Stormy post about Harang: my comment was pot, kettle regarding pitcher projections (it was an entertaining thread, though)

3. steve, I suggested that you not pile on against Jax because M2 had already made a great case about Osvaldo Perez

4. TeamDunn, I urged a pm to ws1990reds, not a post that was a personal attack

5. to Aronchis, I suggested being more polite to RedLegJake instead of saying something like "great post, for a layman"

6. I think that I negged Redsland for being condescending about the RedsLive posters even though he was trying to encourage them. Just pointing that out, and just trying to figure out how much my negs were actually worth. I gave him a positive later, because Redsland is a terrific poster

I think that there were a couple of others, but I can't remember 'em

I've received quite a few, but do not wish to know who sent 'em. I respect your anonymity.

The positive ratings are like those little valentine candies with sayings like "Let's instant message." But personally, I've always loved black jellybeans. Neg away

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    modify the query to only show the username starting today in the vbulletin template.
    Can you send me a PM with that SQL query? Another option would be to take this to the VB forums and see if anyone there can be of some help, given our situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    So you're proposing turning off the anonmity, which will display the user's name leaving comments for past left reputation, and anyone who complains about the negative comment publicly should receive a 2 day ban?
    If it keeps you from doing coding to avoid someone being embarrassed or what not, yes that's what I propose.

Why should you do extra work.

Don't you have better things to do? I bet you do.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    but I'll come clean:

1. WVRed and savafan, I'm still not a fan of witch hunts. No need to threaten a poster with an organized barrage of negs
    Hey, that was you?

You know, I was pretty upset about it in the beginning, but after a couple of days to cool off and really think about the situation, I can't argue with you negativizing me over that because I probably deserved it. Actually, not probably, I did deserve it.

I've only given neg points to 2 users, one of which, in retrospect I wish that I could take back.

To ws1990reds I dinged him for not being on topic, but it was mainly a revenge neg because I thought that he had negged me. After realizing that I didn't know for certain that it was ws1990reds, and that I was just being awfully petty, I wished that I could have taken that one back. Even if I had known that it was ws1990reds who dinged me, it was still a horrible thing for me to do.

I also dinged BadFundamentals because he started his anti-Dunn campaign on a thread that didn't really even have anything to do with Dunn. That one I don't feel so bad about.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?