Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Madden headed to NBC

John Madden headed to NBC

John Madden is moving to NBC when they take over Sunday night football in 2006.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8228798/

John Madden is joining NBC as a game analyst for the network’s newly acquired “Sunday Night Football,” a network source told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The network scheduled an afternoon teleconference with Madden to make the announcement that he will join NBC when it begins televising football in the 2006 season, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

NBC is a partner in the joint venture MSNBC.

Madden has spent the past three seasons teamed with Al Michaels on ABC’s now-defunct “Monday Night Football.”

Before joining ABC, Madden teamed with Pat Summerall to call Fox’s lead game from 1994-2001. They were the top NFL announcing team on CBS for 13 seasons before that.

Known for his folksy style and his love of football’s grit and grime, Madden has won 14 Sports Emmys.

The former Oakland Raiders coach — he led them to a win over Minnesota in the 1977 Super Bowl — has become a pop-culture phenomenon thanks in large part to the popularity of his video game “Madden NFL Football.” Since its initial release in 1989, the game has sold more than 43 million copies and become the No. 1 selling sports video game of all time.

NBC is reportedly paying $600 million for a six-year contract that will allow the network to broadcast the NFL’s Sunday night game starting with the 2006 season. The Sunday night game was previously shown on ESPN, which will now televise “Monday Night Football.”

NBC also gets two first-round playoff games and the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Madden headed to NBC

Loath.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Madden just needs to work for ESPN and he'll have the whole set
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Surprising they didn't announce who he'd be working with. My guess is Bob Costas, since Dick Enberg is retiring.
    /r/reds

For a Level Playing Field

I have always liked big John. But I really like Dick Vitale too. Both seem to be one of those luv 'em or hate 'em types. I like the excitement that they bring to the game w/ their styles. Maybe it is a George Grande side-effect thing?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Surprising they didn't announce who he'd be working with. My guess is Bob Costas, since Dick Enberg is retiring.
    Dick Enberg's retiring? Did not know that. Enjoy listening to him, even if he doesn't add a great deal other than his voice and enthusiasm. Still miss him doing golf on NBC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Dick Enberg is currently doing work for CBS. You see him on NFL games, NCAA Basketball, & Masters Golf. He still does some tennis on ESPN.

Here is is bio....

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/team/denberg

IMHO - Madden will probably be set-up with someone that would be listed as TBA. Costas would be a good choice, but might be better off as "host". You could also see Keith Olbermann back in a "host" role and Costas as play-by-play...

Here's a thought - Pat Summerall's looking his age - but showed very good work in the Sunday Night booth last year on ESPN. It might be a nice "swan-song" for the both of them...

got alil captain in u?

should be intersting to see who he works with maybe they'll get his old buddy summerall or somebody new aslong as it aint dennis miller

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Dick Enberg is currently doing work for CBS. You see him on NFL games, NCAA Basketball, & Masters Golf. He still does some tennis on ESPN.
    Since I rarely watch NFL games, I forgot that Enberg moved to CBS. He really is retiring, though. I heard him say this on Sunday morning in a radio interview about a play he wrote. The play is a one-man show featuring the wit and wisdom of the late Al McGuire. Interesting career turn, I'd say.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Here's a thought - Pat Summerall's looking his age - but showed very good work in the Sunday Night booth last year on ESPN. It might be a nice "swan-song" for the both of them...
    Please no! He was horrible. I specifically remember during the Sunday night Bengals' game him forgetting how to pronounce "Houshmandzadeh" and instead simply called him TJ.

I liked Pat back in the day but eventually your abilities begin to fade.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Anyone have any idea about why not Al Michaels not coming with him?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

They should hire Frank Caliendo or whatever his name is instead. Madden has become a caricature of himself these days and at least Frank would be entertaining instead of just annoying and bloated.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    Michaels is still under contract with ABC and is their main NBA announcer.

ESPN.com had a story where Marv Albert might join John Madden on those telecasts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    They're not joined at the hip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?