Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tampa Bay cuts Akili Smith

Tampa Bay cuts Akili Smith

Smith appeared in just 22 games in career
    Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Akili Smith was released Monday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the latest NFL team to part ways with the quarterback who was the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft.

Smith was only with the Buccaneers after the team agreed to sign him so he could participate with an NFL Europe team, the Frankfurt Galaxy, this summer. The Galaxy's season ended on June 4, and Smith returned to Tampa for last week's mini-camp.

Taken by the Cincinnati Bengals, Smith was a member of the heralded 1999 quarterback draft class, which included Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper and Cade McNown, all of whom were among the top 12 picks that season. Only McNabb and Culpepper, starring for Philadelphia and Minnesota, remain in the league.

Smith appeared in just 22 games, starting 17, in four disappointing seasons with the Bengals. He signed with Green Bay before the 2003 season, but was cut.
    --------

Looks like it's the end of his NFL career. It also brings to a close the chapter of the worst decision Mike Brown ever made, turning down the trade from New Orleans to draft him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tampa Bay cuts Akili Smith

I think I might have set the reserve too high on that Akili Smith jersey I put on eBay.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

What happened, literacy test?

It also brings to a close the chapter of the worst decision Mike Brown ever made, turning down the trade from New Orleans to draft him.
    I disagree...deciding to be GM was the worst decision ever made by Mikey.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 06-15-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Looks like its to the Arena league for Akili.

Turn Off Ads?