Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98

Thread: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    234

    MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Today rumors from www.prosportsdaily.com

    2 notes= LA Dodgers had a scout watching Harang last night and along with other pitchers.

    Mets are looking for new 1st baseman with Dougie M not working out and Sean Casey was mentioned.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,756

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    As much as it might be sacrilige to deal Harang, I think we ought to consider doing just that. He is having a nice year, is somewhat young, and IMO he is having a flukish year. I don't think he continues at this level for next 5 years. So I would consider dealing him to a contender for quality. Not a firesale deal, but a top quality deal.

    Package Randa and Harang to LA for Chad Billingsley, Edwin Jackson, Joel Guzman and Chris Westervelt.

  3. #3
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    As much as it might be sacrilige to deal Harang, I think we ought to consider doing just that. He is having a nice year, is somewhat young, and IMO he is having a flukish year. I don't think he continues at this level for next 5 years. So I would consider dealing him to a contender for quality. Not a firesale deal, but a top quality deal.

    Package Randa and Harang to LA for Chad Billingsley, Edwin Jackson, Joel Guzman and Chris Westervelt.
    If that was the return, I'd do it. Actually, I'm not a big fan of Edwin Jackson, I'd rather have Greg Miller. More of a gamble probably than Jackson, but Miller is LH and has more upside, IMO. If we didn't get at least that in return, Harang stays and I take Jackson and Westervelt for Randa.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    As much as it might be sacrilige to deal Harang, I think we ought to consider doing just that. He is having a nice year, is somewhat young, and IMO he is having a flukish year. I don't think he continues at this level for next 5 years. So I would consider dealing him to a contender for quality. Not a firesale deal, but a top quality deal.

    Package Randa and Harang to LA for Chad Billingsley, Edwin Jackson, Joel Guzman and Chris Westervelt.
    Chad Billingsley, Joel Guzman: I would take that deal in a second. Only one problem. Nobody in their right mind would make that deal. First of all, Randa's not the long term solution that Guzman is. Second Guzman is one the best hitting prospects in the minors, and Billingsly isn't too bad as pitching prospect either. I would jump at a deal that gave either of those for Randa and Harang, but it won't happen.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    299

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Chad Billingsley, Joel Guzman: I would take that deal in a second. Only one problem. Nobody in their right mind would make that deal. First of all, Randa's not the long term solution that Guzman is. Second Guzman is one the best hitting prospects in the minors, and Billingsly isn't too bad as pitching prospect either. I would jump at a deal that gave either of those for Randa and Harang, but it won't happen.
    guzman or laroche better be coming back. and you gotta figure la will part with one, more likely guzman. as randa can play till the one they keep is ready

  6. #6
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    As much as it might be sacrilige to deal Harang, I think we ought to consider doing just that. He is having a nice year, is somewhat young, and IMO he is having a flukish year. I don't think he continues at this level for next 5 years. So I would consider dealing him to a contender for quality. Not a firesale deal, but a top quality deal.

    Package Randa and Harang to LA for Chad Billingsley, Edwin Jackson, Joel Guzman and Chris Westervelt.
    Maybe you could embellish on why you think he's having a flukish year and don't think he can continue at this level for the next 5... because at this point in his career, I don't understand how you can possibly make that determination.

    As you say, he's young. He's taken a giant step up this year. Why is there more reason to think he's a fluke then there is to think he's a promising young pitcher with a whole lot of upside?

    Personally, I don't think anyone can truly answer that question at this point in time. Thus, shouldn't he be given some time to continue to develop... with the Reds? Do you really think they should rid themselves of a promising young pitcher based on conjecture? Especially when they do enough of that already.

    For once, I hope they do it right and wait long enough to make an informed decision based on facts. Only hindsight will tell for sure, but trading him now is foolish in my opinion. They could easily be giving away a really promising future to another team just as easily as not. And for what? Another unknown who may not be as promising in the long run?

    When pitching is a team's weakness, to me, you just don't take that chance based on an uneducated guess that his performance in 2005 may be a fluke.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-16-2005 at 04:56 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  7. #7
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Harang is the one Reds pitcher who does not pitch to contact. He actually K's people. Somehow I fear this will influence Dan O's decision in some sick and twisted negative way. Couple this with his innate lack of intelligence and we will see a fleecing on par with selling Manhattan for some shiney beads.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Maybe you could embellish on why you think he's having a flukish year and don't think he can continue at this level for the next 5... because at this point in his career, I don't understand how you can possibly make that determination.

    As you say, he's young. He's taken a giant step up this year. Why is there more reason to think he's a fluke rather than a promising young pitcher with a whole lot of upside?

    Personally, I don't think anyone can truly answer that question at this point in time. Thus, shouldn't he be given some time to continue to develop... with the Reds? Do you really think they should rid themselves of a promising young pitcher based on conjecture? Especially when they do enough of that already.

    For once, I hope they do it right and wait long enough to make an informed decision based on facts. Only hindsight will tell for sure, but trading him now is foolish in my opinion. They could easily be giving away a really promising future to another team just as easily as not. And for what? Another unknown who may not be as promising in the long run? When pitching is a team's weakness, to me, you just don't take that chance based on an uneducated guess that his performance in 2005 may be a fluke.

    What makes you think that he is going to keep pitching this way? He's young? Not really he's already 27, not old, but not that young. The question is whether or not he is going to keep this up. I have given his stats previously, but lets look at his first 6 games. He has 6.44 K/9, in 36 IP. In his last 7 games he's got 10.4 K/9 in 47.2 IP. Obviously this isn't the best analysis because it is a small sample size, but it makes you wonder if this is some grand epiphany of his or a "fluke". I think he is a low 4's era, maybe high 3's type pitcher, and is very servicable. Nobody is advocating trading him for the sake of trading him, but if the right deal comes around, the Reds are crazy not to consider it.

  9. #9
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,841

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    What makes you think that he is going to keep pitching this way? He's young? Not really he's already 27, not old, but not that young. The question is whether or not he is going to keep this up. I have given his stats previously, but lets look at his first 6 games. He has 6.44 K/9, in 36 IP. In his last 7 games he's got 10.4 K/9 in 47.2 IP. Obviously this isn't the best analysis because it is a small sample size, but it makes you wonder if this is some grand epiphany of his or a "fluke". I think he is a low 4's era, maybe high 3's type pitcher, and is very servicable. Nobody is advocating trading him for the sake of trading him, but if the right deal comes around, the Reds are crazy not to consider it.
    Exactly! So lets not make a decsion based on wondering... let's find out, then make the decision.

    It's like conjuring up a theory without the facts because before long the facts are being bent to support the theory. Instead, get the facts and then come up with a theory based on them.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Exactly! So lets not make a decsion based on wondering... let's find out, then make the decision.
    Look at Harang's stats. I'm not making a decision based on wondering. I am looking at his past stats and current stats and making a decision that I am not going to get Wilsoned. I am not going to let one good start to the year cloud my judgement. If I get a great deal, I'm taking it, because he has not shown this kind of performance in the past. If he turns out well, fine, but I am going to make sure I get a couple prospects that will more than make up for, even if some of them don't pan out. That's how you make the deal. The Reds don't have to trade him. But if the right deal comes along, I'm not closing my mind to it.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 06-16-2005 at 05:21 PM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,756

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    From NYM, Gaby Hernandez and Yusmeiro Petit and Kaz Matsui for Sean Casey, Dangelo Jiminez and David Weathers.

  12. #12
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    From NYM, Gaby Hernandez and Yusmeiro Petit and Kaz Matsui for Sean Casey, Dangelo Jiminez and David Weathers.
    What are we going to do with Kaz Matsui, he's stinky.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  13. #13
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,652

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    What are we going to do with Kaz Matsui, he's stinky.
    Add him to the stinky pile

    I like that Dodger trade idea, but I don't think they would give us that much for Harang and Randa, maybe toss in Kearns and it starts to work.
    Go Gators!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    929

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    At this point I think it would be a mistake to trade Harang. Even though he has lost his three games, he hasn't had a lot of support. He made only one mistake against the Orioles and was victimized by Wily Mo last night (how was that not an error?) He has been the most consistent starter and this point and we can't trade pitchers like that, IMO. Casey I would trade. He's a nice guy and a decent player, but if we can get something for him we need to it.

  15. #15
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,718

    Re: MLB Rumors 6/16- Reds Players 2

    I wouldnt be surprised if the Reds traded there best pitcher for prospects. :/
    but Im not to sure about the ones you mention...

    Edwin Jackson: 8.65 ERA, 55 IP, 76 Hits, 13 HR, 37 BB, 33 Ks
    Hes given up 21 more hits than innings pitch and 4 more walks than strikeouts.... and he has given up 13 homeruns.

    Billingsley: 4.12 ERA, 67.2IP, 62 Hits, 7 HR, 23 BB, 77 Ks

    Joel Guzman: 228 At Bats, .285 AVG, 65 Hits, 11 HR, 44 RBI, 30 BB 75 Ks

    Westervelt: I couldnt find any stats/information on him.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25