Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart

I've never really been a Wal-Mart basher; I've been an agnostic on that topic.
    However, I was struck by an article that appeared in my local paper yesterday about a Wal-Mart in Nitro, WV.
    Workers at that Wal-Mart have been ordered to be available to work any shift at any time or face dismissal. "Workers who cannot commit to being available for any shift between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week, will be fired by the end of this week."
    "It shouldn't cause any problem, if they are concerned about their customers," said store manager Johnn Knuckles.
    How about workers maybe being concerned with their families, or just wanting to have some semblance of a life, instead of having to be available for work anytime between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., on a moment's notice?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wal-Mart

that's standard procedure at Meijer and Kroger. it's standard procedure at Wal-Mart during the summer and/or when business is expected to be really high (expansion, Christmas, etc).

i've worked for all three for extended periods of time. Wal-Mart was my favorite, but i'd prefer not to work for any of them again.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Wal Mart is the devil.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Similar situation also happens at Honda (department by department). It fluctuates depending on manufacturing needs; but the reasoning is always to "meet the growing needs of our customers". At Honda, we're a TEAM.

They always ask for "volunteers" first; but if that need is not met, then they tell you you're working. And they can (and have) come up to you just before shift's end and said you (or the whole line) have to stay over in order to meet today's goals... or that you are going to have to work this weekend. Of course you can tell them NO, or not show up at all; but after your attendance drops below a certain percentage you start to get into serious trouble. So you can only do that for a short time.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'd guess workers at Honda at least earn something more than the minimum wage. It just bugs me that Wal-Mart apparently wants to control their employees' lives virtually 24/7.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I'd guess workers at Honda at least earn something more than the minimum wage. It just bugs me that Wal-Mart apparently wants to control their employees' lives virtually 24/7.
    More and more companies, especially in the manufacturing sector, are attempting to do this anymore. The competition to attract and hold on to the customer drives it too.

And don't misunderstand me - I'm not defending Wal-Mart. Just seeing the reality of what is changing/evolving within the workplace. Alot within both the retail chains and manufacturing are also doing similar practices. They are beginning to "invade" the private/personal lives of their employees because of the way employers feel it may negatively affect their employees in the workplace (attendance, quality, increased production, attitude, healthcare costs, etc). Wal-Marts gets alot of the attention though because of their size and high profile.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-17-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Wal Mart is the devil.
    That's K-Mart..the red and all
    Go Gators!

Last summer my union narrowly voted to approve a labor contract. I prepared for 2 years to ready myself in case of a strike. Unfortunately, alot of younger people would buy new trucks right before the vote and then say they would have to vote yes becausr they couldn't miss a paycheck or two. I guess I need to let the bitterness subside. Anyway, one of the things the company wanted was mandatory overtime. Now this would have meant we would be forced to work an additional 12 hour shift, as we are 12 hour shifts on continuous operation. The way I see it, my time is my time, and I don't wanna be in the position of telling my kids I can't take them to the zoo or a ballgame like I promised because I had to work. Now, I know alot of people have to work over, but I have the luxery of not having too, so why would I ever agree to give that up? If I eveerr need more money, I can volunteer for overtime, or get a part time job, but my time is limited. I don't get anymore of it that I already have.

Well, with that policy and all, one would think that Walmart could have more than seven or eight of the 50 checkout lanes open on a weekday afternoon at 4:00pm, while those seven or eight are backed up 30 feet! When that happens at our local store (often), there's this little group of what I call "redcoats" (managers that wear red vests instead of blue) who get in this little huddle and seem to be analyzing the situation. I have no idea how Walmart works, but I'm thinking "Hey, how about firing up a register yourself, instead of huddling about it?"

While I'm bashing, why is it that certain items are out of stock for days, when I watched documentary about Walmart on TV that hailed their state-of-the-art, networked inventory system that ties every store's register to Bentonville? The running joke between my wife and me is "Which items will they be out of today?" We never complete a shopping list at that place, be it general merchandise or groceries.

Okay, I'm done, and boy do I feel better. :

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    While I'm bashing, why is it that certain items are out of stock for days, when I watched documentary about Walmart on TV that hailed their state-of-the-art, networked inventory system that ties every store's register to Bentonville? The running joke between my wife and me is "Which items will they be out of today?" We never complete a shopping list at that place, be it general merchandise or groceries.
    Funny you mention that because when WalMart started getting popular back in the 80s whenever I was looking for something I wanted there I was able to find it. I don't think it's like that anymore but the last time I went there I did find stuff I was looking for that I couldn't find in Target. But I'd much rather shop in the Target by where I live than the WalMart even though the WalMart is a little closer.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

My question would be for the employees of Walmart is what is the turnover among employees once this "on call" policy started vs. what it was before. Obviously in the case of a manufacturing job or a wal-mart job the salary should be a bit higher for the manufacturing job so that should make it a bit more bearable. Personally I have never held a job where I was on call but I would think it would be hard to keep people working there unless they were looking to make a career out of it.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    But I'd much rather shop in the Target by where I live than the WalMart even though the WalMart is a little closer.
    Oh, I had rather shop at Target, too. The stores are much quieter/peaceful and seem to be better-organized. Unfortunately, Walmart is the only place in our small town that sells so many of the things we need, so end up getting everything there to avoid making multiple stops.

One day I was bored and tried to list the transactions that can be carried out under the roof of our local Walmart. I came up with:

• groceries
    • general merchandise
    • fabrics/sewing
    • tires/oil change
    • sporting goods
    • clothing
    • vision center / optometrist
    • beauty shop
    • cell phone contracts/sales
    • bank
    • photo center
    • bakery
    • deli
    • pharmacy
    • portrait studio
    • McDonalds
    • lawn and garden center / nursery

That's 17 transactions that once would have had to be carried out at seperate locations around town that can now be taken care of under that one roof. That's not to say that I do all or even most of those things at Walmart, nor would I recommend it, but that's what is possible.

Of all the things Walmart does, I think they do the auto center thing the absolute worst. It's called "Tire and Lube Express", but the term "express" is used very loosely!

ex·press ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-sprs)
    n.
    1. A rapid, efficient system for the delivery of goods and mail.

I tried them twice, for oil changes. The first time it took them over an hour to get me done. Thinking that perhaps that was a busy time of day for them or something, I tried again in the middle of a weekday morning. Same results - over an hour. I've been going to the ten-minute place across the street ever since.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I worked at Krogers, and while I think they are the anit-christ, we were never told we would get fired if we weren't available 7 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Oh, I had rather shop at Target, too. The stores are much quieter/peaceful and seem to be better-organized. Unfortunately, Walmart is the only place in our small town that sells so many of the things we need, so end up getting everything there to avoid making multiple stops.
    That seems to be the way of the world in these small to mid-size towns. WalMart has darn near everything they need and can charge less than other stores can. You can even get gas and groceries there now. It's obviously a solid business strategy albiet cutthroat.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

My work requires me to be available 24 hours a day/7 days a week and able to leave home and not return home for up to 18 months at a moments notice.

Turn Off Ads?