Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: I hate to say it, but it's time for Dunn to go.

Re: I hate to say it, but it's time for Dunn to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    Would anyone trade Dunn to the Yankees for Robinson Cano, Chien-Ming Wang, and Colter Bean?
    No!

Good Lord Sweet Jesus no.

What about that deal makes sense to you?

Good Lord.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Why close the thread? There's an education trying to happen here.
    It's only an education if people are listening.

Not so sure it's happening in this thread.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Would anyone trade Dunn to the Yankees for Robinson Cano, Chien-Ming Wang, and Colter Bean?
    No!

1. Cano has decent power, but no plate discipline whatsoever.
    2. Wang is already 25, and has a poor K rate(5bb/16 k 26 ip at Columbus, 15 bb/22 k in 56.2 ip with the Yanks)
    3. Colter Bean is a 28 year old reliever still stuck in Triple-A! Albeit his stats look nice, but he has never thrown a pitch in the majors.

I don't want to trade Dunn at all, but if I do, I want a deal that will blow me away.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    No!

Good Lord Sweet Jesus no.

What about that deal makes sense to you?

Good Lord.
    Nothing sounds good to me about it, I have a neighbor from NY and he says thats what he heard a week or so ago. If the Reds trade Dunn they need to get a boat load of talent in return.

Nothing sounds good to me about it, I have a neighbor from NY and he says thats what he heard a week or so ago. If the Reds trade Dunn they need to get a boat load of talent in return.
    The only reason those names get thrown out is because the Yankees have no one else even remotely valuable to deal.

So...A Yankee fan takes a shine to a guy like Dunn, and throws those two or three names out there.

Happened with Kearns earlier in the year.

If you think I'm not being educated here, your wrong. I know nothing about OPS. I still don't know what that even means. Furthmore, if everyone was actually reading I wasn't ever saying Dunn was a bad baseball player. Again, your seeing I'm not displaying him in a postive light and immeditely taking offense to it. If this thread needed to be closed than the mods would have closed it last night. I respected SteelSD opinions and gave him mine back in return. I didn't refute everything he said. Just like in any debate, people watching it take place, make guesses on who actually won the thing, but it doesn't mean, come election time, that person will be elected. Half the time the people thinking a certain person won the debate is based on a personal bias. That is, the persons deciding who won the debate were already pulling for one person before the debate ever began.

However since I did take Wily Mo's thread and run with it I will attempt to give you SOME FACTS.

Regarding the Yankee trade:

I happened to be at the two Dragons game last Thursday night. My father's best friend went along and ran into a old chum of is. He was a Yankee scout. Take that anyway ya want too, it could mean next to nothing reagarding a deal. But it could aslo mean the Yanks are interested in getting a few prospects from Dayton in combonation with a Reds player. The scout would not spill why he was actually there or what player he was looking at. But he was using a pitching chart. Furthermore, the Yankee scout did say he was called on short notice to drive down from Pittsburgh to scout that same day.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04
    If you think I'm not being educated here, your wrong. I know nothing about OPS. I still don't know what that even means.
    OPS: On-base percentage plus slugging percentage. You literally add OBP to SLG to get OPS. It's a very good measure of a hitter's ability, giving you a sense of how many times the player gets on base, and what kind of power the player has.

And just in case:

OBP: a measure of how often a batter gets to first base for any reason other than a fielding error or a fielder's choice.

SLG: measures a hitter's power. It is calculated as total bases divided by at-bats.

The higher the OPS, the better. And Dunn's OPS is way up there; currently he has the NINTH highest OPS in all of major league baseball.

The top 10 in OPS right now:
    1. D Lee
    2. B Roberts
    3. A Rodriguez
    4. B Abreu
    5. C Delgado
    6. A Pujols
    7. M Tejada
    8. N Johnson
    9. A Dunn
    10. M Teixeira

Not to shabby.

Sean Casey, by the way, ranks 72nd.

To add to Rosie's post.....

Of the two components that make up OPS (OBP and SLG), OBP is considered to be the more valuable of the two and IIRC some statiticians have come up with an adjusted OPS number that reflects the greater value of OBP vs. SLG.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Thanks you two. I appreciate it.

Now to explain Dunn even further.

When considering OPS and many of the sabrematric formulas, consider this fact. Batting average is meaningless.

It has been argued many times on this board that Dunn, because of his ability to draw walks, should hit either second or third. That IMO is the way to go, rather than having him hit 6th every night. If Miley would understand this, Dunn would blossom full throttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Now to explain Dunn even further.

When considering OPS and many of the sabrematric formulas, consider this fact. Batting average is meaningless.

It has been argued many times on this board that Dunn, because of his ability to draw walks, should hit either second or third. That IMO is the way to go, rather than having him hit 6th every night. If Miley would understand this, Dunn would blossom full throttle.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that batting average is meaningless.

But I would agree that as a stand alone indicator of a players worth it is not very valuable.
    School's out. What did you expect?

sign dunn to a ltc....please Obie, dont be a moron.

I'm just gonna shut my mouth and pretend I didn't see the setence batting avg was meaningless. All of you feel free to thank me

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04
    I'm just gonna shut my mouth and pretend I didn't see the setence batting avg was meaningless. All of you feel free to thank me
    Batting Average is meaningless.

do you believe that a single=double=triple=home run?

do you believe that an out>walk or hit-by-pitch?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?