Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate to say it, but it's time for Dunn to go.

Re: I hate to say it, but it's time for Dunn to go.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's a doozy.

Ya conjour that gem up yourself? Or did you get it from Mad Magazines take on Moneyball?
    at least it was a bit more original then calling us "statheads" or "statnerds" or the like.

I don't mind being made fun of, just use some originality.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn has more trade value and he's lazy
    You have proof to back up that accusation?

He doesn't care if he K's more than any other person in baseball history.
    I don't either. .400+ OBP .550+ SLG. He can strikeout all he wants.

Sean Casey hits over .300 and is what the Reds don't have much of: contact hitting.
    He also grounds into 37 billion gazillion double plays and whines when his friends are let go. Oh and we have already gone over the contact issue. The Giants and A's say hi.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

got alil captain in u?

oh yea i forgot dano is miss cleo's brother lol he knows all see's all and gets it dead wrong

Don't get me wrong I'm NOT a Dan fan, BUT I do believe that he was painted into a corner with the Milton signing. I am willing to bet that Carl said we are raising the budget and we will spend a lot of money on a starting pitcher. That is why we heard all those rumors abot the reds interest in Clement, Prez. Those guys turned down that money, they did NOT want to play in Cincy. Carl then said spend the money, bring in someone with a name. Milton was all that was left. Dan had to spend that money, he went after better pitchers, they said no. They knew there were better places to win.

What are you going to do? Your boss tells you to spend money, you can't buy anything you like, but your boss insist you come home with something. That is how you get Milton.

That is what I tink happened, and that is why I'm not so quick to blame Dan.

Back to my original point. All I'm saying is if we can't keep Dunn long term, now is the time to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Don't get me wrong I'm NOT a Dan fan, BUT I do believe that he was painted into a corner with the Milton signing. I am willing to bet that Carl said we are raising the budget and we will spend a lot of money on a starting pitcher. That is why we heard all those rumors abot the reds interest in Clement, Prez. Those guys turned down that money, they did NOT want to play in Cincy. Carl then said spend the money, bring in someone with a name. Milton was all that was left. Dan had to spend that money, he went after better pitchers, they said no. They knew there were better places to win.

What are you going to do? Your boss tells you to spend money, you can't buy anything you like, but your boss insist you come home with something. That is how you get Milton.

That is what I tink happened, and that is why I'm not so quick to blame Dan.

Back to my original point. All I'm saying is if we can't keep Dunn long term, now is the time to move him.

Better yet....Why don't they trade everybody? This organization is a joke and the results will be the same as long as these clueless individuals are running this team...It's not going to solve anything when you're trading your studs, for young prospects when the coaching staff this team has, lacks the skills to develop kids. As long as Carl Lindner, the limiteds, John Allen, and the rest of the yes men are running this team, you can forget about ever being able to compete with the big dogs. I'm a Reds fan from the Big Red Machine Days, but the last 5 years have been a complete joke, and its no surprise that they have replaced the L.A. Clippers, as the laughing stock of professional sports. Excuse me for venting..but Reds fans, and the Hamilton County residents(who paid for the new stadium) do not deserve this.

Wow this thead did not go where I wanted. All wanted to discuss was if we can't sign Dunn long term there isn't a better time to move him. Weather we like it or not losing good players is apart of the game, the secret is finding the right time to move them to get the most for your money. I believe that is ONE of the reasons the A's have been so sucessful over the last decade. I don't care if peoplebelieve it is a huge mistake or not. The fact of the matter is Dunn is probably not going to retire a Reds. Sorry to tell you guys that. But do you want to get draft picks or do you want to movehim at the perfect time?

Mods you can close this thread or let it go. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Does anyone trust Dan O'Brien to get a solid return for Adam Dunn?

That should really start and finish conversations on this topic.
    I may be in the minority here, but I for one do trust him to get a good return on Dunn if he so happens to send him packing.

We've heard from other scouts that the Reds are asking alot for Austin Kearns and aren't budging. Why would Adam Dunn be any different?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I say keep Dunn- but it's time for John Allen, Dan O' Brien, and Mike Miley to go instead. The Reds aren't as "small" a market as greedy ownership makes them out to be, with potentially half of Ohio/West Virginia/Indiana and 2/3 of Kentucky as fans, and probably can afford to keep Dunn. The Reds ought to be making more money than they claim to be, however ownership has seemed only interested in short-term gain for themselves. Also, ownership has hired people who know practically nothing about baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04
    Dunn has more trade value and he's lazy. He doesn't want to be here. He doesn't care if he K's more than any other person in baseball history. It's all gravy to Adam.
    how do you know this? why don't you bring some facts to the table before you run your mouth about stuff you dont know

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    how do you know this? why don't you bring some facts to the table before you run your mouth about stuff you dont know
    He probably didn't offer up evidence because it's common knowledge to anyone who follows the team. But if you'd like proof, here's some from Adam himself:

Dunn on setting the strikeout record...
    "I don't care," he said. "I really don't. If I was scuffling like I was last year, I'd be ticked."
    - Quoted by John Fay, Cincinnati Enquirer, October 1 2004

Dunn on wanting to get out of Cincinnati and into an Astros uniform...
    "That's something I do think about, growing up as an Astros fan and keeping my home here during the offseason," he said. "It's hard not to think about it. I have no say in that right now, so I just have to go out and do my job."
    - Quoted by Brian McTaggart, Houston Chronicle, June 1 2005
    One timezone to the left.

ALL pitching is a crap shoot, even when you are talking about the Scott Kazmirs and Matt Cains of the world. Power like Dunn's doesn't take a season off, not to mention his plate discipline. No, Adam is not Robby or Doggie or anyone else in the history of this franchise. He has his own skill set, and it happens to make him one of the most devastating young offensive players in all of baseball today. The kid is going to breeze past 500 homers, and who knows from there. I'm not suggesting the Reds should not deal him, but the men who run this franchise are not qualified to wield the power they possess. They are completely blind to it, and I think people are correct to assume that we would get fleeced if these keystone cops ever approached the trading block seeking to get an equitable return for Adam Dunn. A-ball pitching is not sufficient. Major league starting pitching of a very rare kind plus the best 1 or 2 arms in an organization should be where the talks begin. Then, as DanO is prone to say, we move forward and negotiate for more or let the dog lay.

I know Adam is not happy and probably wants to move. But, he hasn't put in his time and has no say at this point. It is critical that the Reds fire this idiot gm before anything at all is "done" with Dunn. He is the type of commodity that only comes along once every 20 years or so, and how that commodity is handled could dictate the performance of the Reds over the next decade. Hiring the idiot is an absolutely horrific position the ownership has put itself in, but it is not too late to correct it.

But, the notion of giving up on the Reds is so absurd to me that I would never even joke about it. I suspect that anyone who is threatening to abandon the club based on this dark time in our history is simply frustrated. And, I certainly understand that.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 06-18-2005 at 01:54 AM.

That is a great post, Santo.

What I don't understand is people keep saying he doesn't want to be here, and maybe he really doesn't, but who the heck can blame him? Who has made him feel that way? IMHO, it seems like DM (or DOB, or both) is doing everything feasible to make Adam Dunn hate being with the Reds.

If only DM could manage a baseball team as successfully as he alienates Adam Dunn, the Reds might be at .500 right now, despite poor pitching.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Santo Alcala writes:
    I know Adam is not happy and probably wants to move. But, he hasn't put in his time and has no say at this point. It is critical that the Reds fire this idiot gm before anything at all is "done" with Dunn. He is the type of commodity that only comes along once every 20 years or so, and how that commodity is handled could dictate the performance of the Reds over the next decade. Hiring the idiot is an absolutely horrific position the ownership has put itself in, but it is not too late to correct it.

But, the notion of giving up on the Reds is so absurd to me that I would never even joke about it. I suspect that anyone who is threatening to abandon the club based on this dark time in our history is simply frustrated. And, I certainly understand that.

Certainly agree. We must put the pressure on to see that the two Idiot Brothers move on to something they are capable of handling--not a major league club.

It's a dark time in Reds history. I can't ever remember four consecutive hapless seasons in my life time (since 1961). And yet, we wait while DanO scratches his head, Miley makes stupid statements and Milton and Ortiz stink up the joint (and Dunn and Kearns sit or go to AAA while players like Luis Lopez and Jason Romano get the accolades).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Dunn and Kearns sit or go to AAA while players like Luis Lopez and Jason Romano get the accolades.
    Did I miss something? Did someone throw a ticker tape parade for Lopez and Romano?
    One timezone to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallball
    He probably didn't offer up evidence because it's common knowledge to anyone who follows the team. But if you'd like proof, here's some from Adam himself:

Dunn on setting the strikeout record...
    "I don't care," he said. "I really don't. If I was scuffling like I was last year, I'd be ticked."
    - Quoted by John Fay, Cincinnati Enquirer, October 1 2004

Dunn on wanting to get out of Cincinnati and into an Astros uniform...
    "That's something I do think about, growing up as an Astros fan and keeping my home here during the offseason," he said. "It's hard not to think about it. I have no say in that right now, so I just have to go out and do my job."
    - Quoted by Brian McTaggart, Houston Chronicle, June 1 2005
    geez, just b/c he doesn't care about the strikeout record, that doesn't mean he doesn't care about his performance. he probably realizes that a strikeout is just the same as any other out. i realize dunn probably wants out,(i didn't mean to put in my quote) but can you blame him. with the people running this ship, wouldn't you want out? i don't think there is anyone that wants out incompetant GM handling the trading of a rare talent like dunn. in fact i don't want ANYONE trading him.

Turn Off Ads?