Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I saw Frank Black at the party in my pants.
    Are you sure that wasn't Fred Schneider?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Pixies are the trendiest band of all time.

Not saying anything bad about that, I'm a pretty big fan. Just sometimes people will outright lie before they admit they know little about the Pixies. They are afraid of losing any indie cred they had.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I liked the Kim Deal/Pixies songs, and never understood the Black Francis/ Pixies material. She should have been the leader - she was a lot more down-to-earth than BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Not saying anything bad about that, I'm a pretty big fan. Just sometimes people will outright lie before they admit they know little about the Pixies. They are afraid of losing any indie cred they had.
    You could be right about that. Before their break-up, I really don't recall many people other than myself being big fans of the band in this area. The "so-called" indie crowd was fascinated with whatever Robert Smith was putting out, and maybe they'd go crazy and wax poetic about the Manchester scene. I did my best to convert folks in my dorm to the joys of the Pixies.

On the other hand, I was surprised when I went to Europe to find out that not only were they quite popular, people I would meet were well versed in their work, starting from Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa. "I've Been Tired" was especially popular there and I've heard "Monkey Gone To Heaven" on the radio over there more than I've heard all Pixies songs on the radio here combined. One of our drunken escapades involved playing an accoustic version of "Tony's Theme" with me on vocals. The later CDs Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde, as well as the first Frank Black solo album, served as our soundtrack for our month-long travels through Europe on a rail pass.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I saw the Pixies open up for Love & Rockets. that was pretty silly too.
    That's pretty funny. It's also amusing to see some of the show flyers for shows played by name bands early on in their career. U2 opened for some pretty good band names in Dublin in the late 70s.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That's pretty funny. It's also amusing to see some of the show flyers for shows played by name bands early on in their career. U2 opened for some pretty good band names in Dublin in the late 70s.
    My wife is friends with the lead singer from Romeo Void, they opened for U2 a mess in the early 80's. She got a Christmas card every year from Bono for the rest of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My wife is friends with the lead singer from Romeo Void, they opened for U2 a mess in the early 80's. She got a Christmas card every year from Bono for the rest of the decade.
    I always enjoyed "Never Say Never."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That was a great Bands Reunited on VH1. I miss that show.

I'm getting ready to listen to the new Shins album.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Could it be....that they were huge during their brief existence? Or that you'd have been considered a golem if you hadn't heard of them as a late eighties college student? At any rate, at 40, I'm not exactly craving "cred."

In fact, I'd say that the band had two careers: one great, one awful. I'd argue that "Bossanova" is one of thee worst albums ever by a talented band. And "Trompe" is no picnic.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Could it be....that they were huge during their brief existence? Or that you'd have been considered a golem if you hadn't heard of them as a late eighties college student? At any rate, at 40, I'm not exactly craving "cred."

In fact, I'd say that the band had two careers: one great, one awful. I'd argue that "Bossanova" is one of thee worst albums ever by a talented band. And "Trompe" is no picnic.
    How do you feel about Frank's "teenager of the year"?

I'm getting ready to listen to the new Shins album.
    which is ok.

How do you feel about Frank's "teenager of the year"?
    Better than the aforementioned Pixies' albums.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Better than the aforementioned Pixies' albums.

I like the last two pixies albums although they do pale in comparison to come on pilgrim, surfer rosa & doolittle.

right now I'm spinning Camper Vantiquities.

Turn Off Ads?