Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I too enjoy some of "the rap" -- mostly old-school break dance music -- and the occasional Tony! Toni! Tone! new jack. But no one has really spoken up and professed a love for, say, 50 Cent (or "Fifty Cents" as I like to call him). I haven't seen anyone claiming that hearing Biggie's voice is like getting a phone call from an old friend.
    I swear to God, I was JUST LISTENING to Candy Shop. It is on a mix I made, in between the Monkees (I'm a Believer) and the Cure (Friday I'm in Love). It is a happy mix!

I'm not terribly up on new rap, actually. I like old school rap and most stuff remotely hip hoppy, as long as it's good. That stuff is tough to ignore, tough to keep your feet still. I also think rap has its place, however. Its place is not Derek Jeter's batting music, but sadly he does not realize that.

Lady Sovereign is on this mix too. Lady Sovereign is awesome, and she falls somewhere near those categories.

As for our good friend Biggie Smalls -- well, true. Maybe we need to expand our board's reach. If someone DID come on this board and make a comment like that, I recommend immediate ORG membership.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Seeing David and his crew is like a school reunion in a beach town (for me that is)

As for female singers... my wife is one and she has a slew of them that pour out of our closets.

Some of our Faves

Patty Griffin
    Lucida Williams
    Joan Osborne
    Etta James
    Aretha Franklin
    Loretta Lynn
    Tina Turner
    Tammi Terrell
    Kathleen Turner

Kathleen Turner? Not the actress, right? I'm not as hep on music as most of you but I'm familiar with all of those except Kathleen Turner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Kathleen Turner? Not the actress, right? I'm not as hep on music as most of you but I'm familiar with all of those except Kathleen Turner.
    Cha.. Kathleen Edwards. Not Turner

My wife loves, loves Fifty Cents. When we're in her car, she constantly plays his stuff.

I can't stand that mumble-mouthed punk. I like to rap along with him in a Harry Carey voice and screw up the lyrics. "Hey folks, I'm rap's MVP!" "I'd love to take you to the candy store."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Interesting that not many people have spoken up in favor of rap and hip hop.
    When I was younger, I wore out my Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, Tupac and House of Pain albums. Then I kind of lost interest in the music and haven't really gotten back into it since.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

But no one has really spoken up and professed a love for, say, 50 Cent (or "Fifty Cents" as I like to call him).
    How about "Half Dollar".

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cha.. Kathleen Edwards. Not Turner
    Gotcha. Her, I know.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I like Joni Mitchell, Fiona Apple, Ella Fitzgerald, Francoise Hardy, Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Sleater-Kinney, and many Latina singers including Shakira. When my entire musical catalogue and loves are considered, that's a pretty paltry list. It's very weird.

I once compiled a list of my top 50 albums. Fiona Apple was the only female who made it, unless you count Kim Deal.
    Your problem is compiling your top 50 albums. :

*Nerd*
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

My wife loves, loves Fifty Cents. When we're in her car, she constantly plays his stuff.

I can't stand that mumble-mouthed punk. I like to rap along with him in a Harry Carey voice and screw up the lyrics. "Hey folks, I'm rap's MVP!" "I'd love to take you to the candy store."
    See, that's awesome. That music requires a sense of humor. It's so much fun. It is musical genius? Not really..but again, this is a taste thing. I think Eminem genuinely has moments of musical genius, but I'd rather listen to In Da Club.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    When I was younger, I wore out my Dr. Dre, Cypress Hill, Tupac and House of Pain albums. Then I kind of lost interest in the music and haven't really gotten back into it since.
    When I was younger Funk was the white boy's way to being "Street" I was always a "soul" guy, never got into rap that didn't have a rockish beat or some melody somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Your problem is compiling your top 50 albums. :

*Nerd*
    I was forced to do it. The fact that I agonized over it for hours, and fully enjoyed that agony, matters not.

I like Joni Mitchell, Fiona Apple, Ella Fitzgerald, Francoise Hardy, Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Sleater-Kinney, and many Latina singers including Shakira. When my entire musical catalogue and loves are considered, that's a pretty paltry list. It's very weird.
    I'd urge you to think about how TOTALLY dominated popular music is by male performers, then think of it in relative terms. The ratio of men to women in music over the history of recording is probably 50 to 1.

There's an evolutionary imperative to swinging a microphone or a guitar around at waist level.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd urge you to think about how TOTALLY dominated popular music is by male performers, then think of it in relative terms. The ratio of men to women in music over the history of recording is probably 50 to 1.

There's an evolutionary imperative to swinging a microphone or a guitar around at waist level.
    Fair enough.

I am listening to SOS Elefants by Les Sans Culottes, a (now defunct, sadly) faux French pop band from Brooklyn. Actually, Celine Dijon from Les Sans Culottes is a female musician I love, deeply. I could probably create a home with her, I think.

Hmm, this got me to thinking. Female singers/performers I like:

Kate Bush
    Tonya Donelly
    Tracy Thorn
    Elizabeth Fraser
    Shirley Manson
    Kim Deal
    early-90s Sarah McLaughlin
    Fiona Apple
    Kate Pierson
    Sinead O'Connor
    Dominique Durand
    Nina Persson

High five!

See, that's awesome. That music requires a sense of humor. It's so much fun. It is musical genius? Not really..but again, this is a taste thing. I think Eminem genuinely has moments of musical genius, but I'd rather listen to In Da Club.
    It may be lyrical genius or production genius.

But not musical genius.

Turn Off Ads?