Turn Off Ads?
Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1250

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

I saw Mat Kearney perform live tonight at Miami of Ohio's campus in Oxford. That dude simply has an amazing voice, and it was one of the better live performances I've heard from any band.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    It was the second Capital Punishment Weekend back in 02. They played at Cafe Bourbon St. I think I remember you saying you used to live in Columbus, so you might know how small that place is.

It was the Friday night show at a smaller place because no one knew who they were at the time. They were just one of five bands to play that night.

They really were super nice, and well behaved. That is, until they started playing. They weren't drunk (because they were too young), so they must've been possessed.
    Yeah, I've been there a couple times. It sounds like it was a fun show (to put it lightly)--I wish I could've gone.

I'm listening to the new Radiohead album (which costs however much you want it to cost to download), and I think I might dare say it's the best Radiohead album yet. It's blowing me away.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm listening to the new Radiohead album (which costs however much you want it to cost to download), and I think I might dare say it's the best Radiohead album yet. It's blowing me away.
    I liked it too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and suddenly noticed that they were playing Alice Coopers "No More Mr. Nice Guy" on the store background music. I started tapping my toe and singing along (in my head, of course. Or at least, I think it was in my head).

Then it hit me. This is Alice Freeking Cooper in Wal-Mart. Mr blood and horror. Mr. Cut The Heads off Maidens. Mr. "Feed a Diabetic a CandyCane". Mr Rebelion. Mr 18.

And now....Mr Music at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I liked it too.
    I just got it but haven't heard it yet. I'm quite excited.

Been listening to a lot of Ween recently. Does that make me weird?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

...also, Bobby Previte's "Coalition of the Willing", which includes Charley Hunter--the greatest guitarist alive (in my humble opinion.) The album's worth it for the track "Airstrip One" alone.

They call me "chef"

The new Radiohead is solid.

Bob Dylan - Tears of Rage

Here's a tip: if you make up your mind to listen to Bob Dylan's entire cataloge, studio albums and bootlegs all, nonstop, at work and play, over a few weeks, you really will start to feel like you're living in a waterlogged world.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

m ward - post-war.

saw him open up for yo la tengo the other night. he was really good.

M. Ward did a great job on the last Bright Eyes album.

The newest Mike Stern. Who Let the Cats Out. Very good Jazz Fusion.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I'm listening to the soundtrack from the Dylan movie - I'm not there.

I like it.

Various Artists
    I'm Not There OST
    [Sony; 2007]
    Rating: 8.0

I'm Not There is director Todd Haynes' third music biopic, after Superstar in 1987 and Velvet Goldmine in 1998. In each of those films, the main subject-- the celebrity at the center-- has been altered or is somehow absent: Superstar recounted Karen Carpenter's death from anorexia with only Barbie dolls, which continually prevents it from being officially released. The Velvet Goldmine traces David Bowie's rise and fall throughout the 1970s, but the singer threatened to sue and refused to license his songs. So Haynes took even more liberties with the story, which involved aliens, assassins, and an ongoing affair with Iggy Pop. By all accounts, I'm Not There, his new film about Bob Dylan, continues this sort of meaningful absence, casting six actors to play the folk singer in various stages of his life and career (essentially the same thing), and literalizing the mercurial nature of his identity. Likewise, the soundtrack for I'm Not There casts 29 singers to re-create that singular voice in all its permutations and variations, with surprising results.

Dylan and his music have become so ingrained in American pop culture that it's easy to forget what a weirdo he was, personally and musically. Drawing from a folkie predilection for overstatement, he wrote tons of verses per song, in oblique and impenetrable metaphors, words collapsing upon words, barbed with inside jokes, private accusations, and masked characters. He sang these songs in a nasal voice that became more and more of a defense mechanism as the years went on, suggesting a self-conscious lapse into self-parody. Culling songs from his legendary albums as well as from obscure bootlegs, I'm Not There covers nearly every fabled aspect of his career: his earnest folkie beginnings, his electric post-Newport days, his conversion to Christianity, his 80s nadir, and finally, his current status as an eccentric éminence grise. In taking such a broad sampling of songs, I'm Not There persuasively argues that each phase is as important and potentially rewarding as any other.

Because Dylan wrote such dense and distinctive songs, covering his work necessarily involves as much impersonation as interpretation. In fact, the best songs on I'm Not There are the ones where the artists seem to be having a great time being Bob. Chan Marshall mimics his cadences on "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again", and her pronunciation of the world "mama" is one of the album's best moments. Craig Finn sings "Won't You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" with a chuckle in his voice, as the Hold Steady relocate the song to the Minneapolis streets of Separation Sunday. And Stephen Malkmus, who gets a whopping three tracks, gives some of his best and weirdest performances since going solo.

The cast of I'm Not There is admirably diverse, mixing relative newcomers like Karen O and Mason Jennings with veterans like Willie Nelson, whose despairing "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)", from 1978's Street Legal, is a good argument for a full-length collaboration with Calexico. Roger McGuinn's voice has aged considerably over the years, but he sounds both surefooted and surprisingly tender on "One More Cup of Coffee", another perfect match with Calexico. And Richie Havens' uniquely jumpy energy jolts "Tombstone Blues", surpassing mere imitation and ratcheting up its wordy tension.

Perhaps it's a testament to the potency of his peculiarities-- rather than to the strength of his convictions-- that Dylan's songs are so successfully coverable in so many different styles. They're challenging undertakings, but possible, inspiring varying degrees adventurousness in some artists and reverence in others. Despite a stellar backing band (including members of Sonic Youth and Television), Eddie Vedder's "All Along the Watchtower" sounds just like every other version of the song and Mason Jennings can't do anything with the iconic "The Times They Are a'Changin'" other than render it faithfully. It's a crazy, mixed-up world, though, when Jack Johnson's medley of "Mama, You've Been on My Mind/A Fraction of Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie" has more smarts and soul than Sufjan Stevens' "Ring Them Bells", which begins as a fairly uninspired cover but sails off into a tediously overwritten coda that strains patience and good will. But that's really the only truly objectionable track on this long album, which sounds much better on your stereo than it did on paper. With so many different types of musicians contributing to these 34 songs, I'm Not There could have turned out like so many inconsistent and forgettable tribute soundtracks-- listened to once or twice, then shelved for eternity-- but instead it plays like a real album, focused on the music and leaving the myth to the movie.

-Stephen M. Deusner, October 30, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Bob Dylan - Tears of Rage

Here's a tip: if you make up your mind to listen to Bob Dylan's entire cataloge, studio albums and bootlegs all, nonstop, at work and play, over a few weeks, you really will start to feel like you're living in a waterlogged world.
    Dylan's songwriting I like.

Dylan's voice I do not like. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Dylan's songwriting I like.

Dylan's voice I do not like. At all.
    Funnily enough, when you make up your mind to listen to Bob Dylan's entire back catalogue in the space of a few weeks, one of the things that really jumps out at you is the changes in his voice through the course of his career. He is no great singer, but when all the different eras hit you all at once you really start to notice how his voice has suited his age over time, and how it has (unintentionally?) complemented the nature of his songs (which has shifted through time as well). There is something to this...it strikes me as unaffected somehow, which is funny because I don't think of Dylan as a natural, unaffected singer. I don't know if that makes sense.

This is also a reminder of just how LONG Bob Dylan has been around.

I am listening to...Another Side of Bob Dylan.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?