Turn Off Ads?
Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717778798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1250

Thread: What am I listening to?

Re: What am I listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Funnily enough, when you make up your mind to listen to Bob Dylan's entire back catalogue in the space of a few weeks, one of the things that really jumps out at you is the changes in his voice through the course of his career. He is no great singer, but when all the different eras hit you all at once you really start to notice how his voice has suited his age over time, and how it has (unintentionally?) complemented the nature of his songs (which has shifted through time as well). There is something to this...it strikes me as unaffected somehow, which is funny because I don't think of Dylan as a natural, unaffected singer. I don't know if that makes sense.
    I get what you're saying, but I guess for me there's just never been a period where I've felt that Dylan's voice was a pleasant listen. I've heard the same things said about Lou Reed, and I'm of the opinion that he should never get within ten feet of a microphone.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The new Jimmy Eat World is currently rocking my world.

Team that up with a great showing from Say Anything and Saves the Day and my october has been a great one.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Dylan's songwriting I like.

Dylan's voice I do not like. At all.
    You just summed it up pretty well. I have enjoyed his program on XM pretty well, Theme Time Radio Hour, or something like that. It's interesting how he manages to pull enough different pieces of music together all related to whatever his topic of the week is.

About his singing though...I've always said that his songs are better when done by someone else.

Doolittle - Pixies

Bob Dylan was starting to bum me out.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Don't think twice it's alright.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Happens to the best of us.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and suddenly noticed that they were playing Alice Coopers "No More Mr. Nice Guy" on the store background music. I started tapping my toe and singing along (in my head, of course. Or at least, I think it was in my head).

Then it hit me. This is Alice Freeking Cooper in Wal-Mart. Mr blood and horror. Mr. Cut The Heads off Maidens. Mr. "Feed a Diabetic a CandyCane". Mr Rebelion. Mr 18.

And now....Mr Music at Wal-Mart.
    Not to get too political, but Alice Cooper is a devout Christian who plays a lot of golf. Without Cooper, there would be no Marilyn Manson (and other stuff that WalMart objects to); but make no mistake - he is now part of the establishment.

That scene in Wayne's World was probably an accurate representation of his after-show conversations, at least once he stopped drinking.
    Stick to your guns.

"All I Can See" by Ride. Man, it's so dope.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    "All I Can See" by Ride. Man, it's so dope.
    Personally, I prefer "Nowhere", but whatever.

You have anything by Lush?

I have their first CD... saw them at Lollapalooza in 1992.. the fuzzy guitar Lollapalooza.

Main Stage: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Pearl Jam, Lush

Yeah, I prefer the album Nowhere too, but I really enjoy that particular song from the EP.

I do have Lush's Best Of I think.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and suddenly noticed that they were playing Alice Coopers "No More Mr. Nice Guy" on the store background music. I started tapping my toe and singing along (in my head, of course. Or at least, I think it was in my head).

Then it hit me. This is Alice Freeking Cooper in Wal-Mart. Mr blood and horror. Mr. Cut The Heads off Maidens. Mr. "Feed a Diabetic a CandyCane". Mr Rebelion. Mr 18.

And now....Mr Music at Wal-Mart.
    We just took our girls down to Disney World last month and one of our favorite rides there was Aerosmith's Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at the Disney-MGM Studios. Aerosmith and Disney, tell me that you would have seen that one coming back in the '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley
    Out on the road today
    I saw a dead head sticker on a Cadillac.
    A voice inside my head said don't look back
    you can never look back

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    We just took our girls down to Disney World last month and one of our favorite rides there was Aerosmith's Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster at the Disney-MGM Studios. Aerosmith and Disney, tell me that you would have seen that one coming back in the '70s.
    Are you covered in white powder when you get off the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Are you covered in white powder when you get off the ride?
    Yes, and at some point during the ride a busty hooker jumps in your backseat.

Turn Off Ads?