Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIA has 'excellent' idea where bin Laden is

CIA has 'excellent' idea where bin Laden is

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050619/...ty_cia_goss_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
    CIA Director Porter Goss said he has an "excellent" idea where
    Osama bin Laden is hiding, but the al Qaeda leader will not be brought to justice until weak links in counterterrorism efforts are strengthened, Time magazine reported on Sunday.

In his first interview since becoming head of the CIA last year, Goss also told the magazine the insurgency in
    Iraq was not quite in its last throes, but close to it.

Goss did not say where he believed bin Laden was hiding, but intelligence experts have said the al Qaeda leader who has evaded an extensive U.S.-led manhunt is probably in the border region of Pakistan and
    Afghanistan.

"I have an excellent idea of where he is. What's the next question?" Goss said in the interview.

"In the chain that you need to successfully wrap up the war on terror, we have some weak links. And I find that until we strengthen all the links, we're probably not going to be able to bring Mr. bin Laden to justice," Goss said. "We are making very good progress on it."

He cited some of the difficulties as "dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play."

Goss added, "We have to find a way to work in a conventional world in unconventional ways that are acceptable to the international community."

Al Qaeda could strike the United States again, he said. "Certainly the intent is very high. And we are trying to stay ahead of their capability. And so far, I think we have done pretty well carrying the war to them, as it were," Goss said.

Bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, sporadically release taped messages that have been broadcast on Arab television or on the Internet since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Intelligence experts say the messages are partly to reassure followers that the leaders are still alive.

In the most recent message, a videotape broadcast by Arabic television Al Jazeera on Friday, Zawahri said reform in Muslim countries and "expelling the invaders" could not be accomplished except by fighting.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a key figure behind the insurgency in Iraq, is aligned with al Qaeda.

Vice President
    Dick Cheney has said the insurgency was in the "last throes."
    President Bush says it would be wrong to set a timetable for withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq and that they will stay until local security forces are trained to take over.

Goss said, "I think they're not quite in the last throes, but I think they are very close to it. And I think that every day that goes by in Iraq where they have their own government and it's moving forward reinforces just how radical (the insurgents) are and how unwanted they are."

Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), an Arizona Republican, said on Sunday that he did not believe that the insurgency was in the last throes.

"I don't think Americans believe that we should cut and run out of Iraq by any stretch of the imagination. But I think they also would like to be told, in reality, what's going on," McCain said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"I think part of that is it's going to be at least a couple more years," he said.

Goss expressed relief the new director of national intelligence, John Negroponte, was taking over what previously had been some of the key functions of the CIA director. "I would almost equate it to getting rid of a 60-pound back sack, climbing up a big, steep trail," Goss said.

He said he planned to stay as CIA chief for a while.

"We've got a lot to do. We're in the process of rebuilding here. I think this is our moment. I'm going to be here as long as the moment lasts. And I think it is going to last a while because we have the opportunity to build," he said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: CIA has 'excellent' idea where bin Laden is

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050619/...ty_cia_goss_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
    CIA Director Porter Goss said he has an "excellent" idea where
    Osama bin Laden is hiding, but the al Qaeda leader will not be brought to justice until weak links in counterterrorism efforts are strengthened, Time magazine reported on Sunday. .
    Can somebody explain to me what this means. What are "weak links in counterterrorism efforts"? If we have an "excellent" idea where OBL is, why don't we just go get him? Why do "weak links in counterterrorism efforts" prevent us from just going and get him if we have an "excellent" idea where he is?

It does appear to be in its last throes.

War News for Sunday, June 19, 2005

Bring 'em on: Correspondent for television channel Al Arabiya seriously wounded in Baghdad.

Bring 'em on: Two Iraqi soldiers and one civilian killed and thirteen others injured in suicide bomb attack on a checkpoint in Tikrit.

Bring 'em on: Two Iraqi policemen killed in a raid on their patrol in western Baghdad.

Bring 'em on: Nine coalition troops reported killed in mortar attack in Fallujah.

Bring 'em on: Casualties reported after car bomb attack outside Shia mosque in Baghdad.

Bring 'em on: Two Iraqi police officers killed by gunmen in northern Baghdad.

Doctors go on strike in Baquba: Doctors at the main hospital in Baquba, north of Baghdad, have gone on strike, saying they are fed up with constant abuse at the hands of aggressive Iraqi police and soldiers.

More on Operation Whack a Mole: "It's like hunting birds," said Colonel Steve Davis of the U.S. Marines as he surveyed the ruins of what he said was an insurgent base in Karabila on Saturday. "You shoot a few, the rest fly away. You shoot a few again, the rest fly away again."

Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build the big bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    Even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand o'er your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Copyright 1963; Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Can somebody explain to me what this means. What are "weak links in counterterrorism efforts"? If we have an "excellent" idea where OBL is, why don't we just go get him?
    From the article:
    He cited some of the difficulties as "dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

He cited some of the difficulties as "dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play."
    What does this mean? That we can't go grab Osama because he's in a sovereign state? Let's be honest, he means Iran. What happened to the tough talk of taking on all terrorists and any country that harbors them? If Osama is in Iran then go get him. Oh wait a minute we are already stretched too thin as it is because of the disaster just to the west of Iran.

For those who wonder why we aren't doing this or that - things happen every day that never make the news.

And Porter Goss needs to keep his mouth shut. If I went to the press and said the crap he said I would be clearanceless within hours.
    Last edited by creek14; 06-19-2005 at 09:11 PM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Thanks Creek.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

got alil captain in u?

Edited for violating rule #3.

-Boss

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

he's in crawford clearing brush with GW for minimum wage
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Well, not really. He's 6'5" and needs dialysis.

Is he really 6"5'? Here I thought he was some tiny guy.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Well, not really. He's 6'5" and needs dialysis.
    I'd love to kidney punch him sometime. Not really a contribution to the thread topic, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Is he really 6"5'? Here I thought he was some tiny guy.
    He's huge, really.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?