Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your favorite boxer and why?

Re: Who is your favorite boxer and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Wow, GAC, thanks for broadening the scope.

In that case I like Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Leonard.
    I quit following boxing years ago.

Guys like Don King ruined it as far as I'm concerned.

Same with the NBA also. If you asked me who is my favorite NBA player I'd go back to the late 60's early 70's... guys like Walt Frazier, Earl "the pearl" Monroe, Rick Barry, Willis Reed, and this kid named Lew Alcindor.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't care for Ali in his later years for the "rope a dope" tactic. That may have been seen by some as "strategy", but it wasn't seen by me as fighting.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I never cared for some of the taunting and demeaning comments Ali made about Frazier, but I did want to share a recent local story. Earlier this month 89 year old Jim Tweel died. Tweel was a Huntington, WV icon, a guy who had operated Jim's Restaurant downtown for several decades, a family place which always featured Jim greeting his numerous customers, including John F. Kennedy during the 1960 WV presidential primary campaign (a photo of JFK hangs on the wall over the booth he sat in).
    Anyway, Jim Tweel had a couple of sons who became lawyers-one son practices in Huntington and is a classy guy. What I didn't know is the other son practices in Virginia and has done legal work for Ali.
    On the Monday of Jim Tweel's funeral, Ali quietly slipped into Huntington, attended the funeral, and then quietly left. Coming all the way to Huntington for the funeral of a friend's father, and doing it quietly, was a very classy act in my opinion, and I rspect Ali for doing it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, and Alexis Arguello. The Arguello/Pryor fight was one I will never forget.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Hagler vs. Hearns...best 3 rounds ever.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

GAC,
    Don't feel bad. I'm 27, 28 soon, and I can't follow the NBA. I try and try, but it doesn't seem to work. I like Golden State and they are starting to turn the corner, but I don't know if I will continue to watch. When I talk about the NBA, I talk about RUN TMC (Hardaway, Mullin, Richmond), Jordan/Pippen/Grant, Magic/Worthy, Isiah/Dumars/Rodman/Laimbeer, David RObinson, 'Nique. I love basketball from the 80's and early 90's. Lately it's watered down, one-on-one, no defense, no fundamentals, god-awful shooting, but man can I dunk type of basketball which I am not fond of.

Ironically, I got back into Hockey because Calgary almost won the cup and then they strike. I'd love to see the NBA strike and get it together. THey most certainly need an age limit.

Ironically, I got back into Hockey because Calgary almost won the cup and then they strike.
    It will be over in a month... skating in 3 months.... woo hoo!!

Cool, I need something in between football and baseball to occupy my time and the NBA aint it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

GAC, follow Winky, and I promise you'll like him more than any of the Don King boxers. He's a good kid.

I still say Naseem, nobdy ever "talked" a better fight.

Turn Off Ads?