Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Trade Randa !

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Don't Trade Randa !

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    He may very well be, but then again, he may not. The thing is, we won't know unless the Reds bring him up and give him some at bats against ML pitchers. The practice of not bringing guys up so as not to start their arb. clock and then handing them a starting job in the majors with no experience hasn't worked here in Cincinnati.
    Not to mention that if they started the clock then bought out their arbitration years once they proved a keeper, they would stop being penny wise and pound foolish. If they're not a keeper, who cares if the clock is ticking?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Sign him, he's going to lead the Reds to the WS in 2006.
    Are you giving up on 2005? Be Positive!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Are you giving up on 2005? Be Positive!
    I'm sorry the season isn't even half over. If they play .750 ball the rest of the way they can still win it!!
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'm sorry the season isn't even half over. If they play .750 ball the rest of the way they can still win it!!
    That's the spirit! If O'Brien sees your post, he may just offer you a job.

I like Randa, and I like the leadership that he brings to the team.
    Not to single you out, sava, but where has his (or anyone else's) leadership taken the team? All reports say the clubhouse is a miserable place right now, and the Reds on-field performance is tee-ball-esque.

Let's get the Reds a couple of pitchers who strike out 7 batters per game first. Then we'll seek some leadership.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This post is completely opposite what it should be. Randa needs to go NOW. Every time he steps on the field for us, he runs the risk of getting injured and KILLING his trade value.

There are four or five teams that could badly use a Joe Randa right now. We ought to be working the phones hard to get him and Casey both dealt. Casey's .322 BA is gonna have someone hot after him too.

Okay...the water in the kettle has been turned up ever so slight;y as not to alarm the frog....Look, Randa, Aurilla, Weathers, Weber and Mercker are perfect to trade...unfortunately Weathers, Weber have not really shown anything left in the tank and Aurillia has been late coming to the party but Randa and Mercker should be in other uniforms soon so we can get a couple of prospects (not blue chips but decent prospects) for their reasonable paying short term stay in Cincy.

In short...these are the kind of guys that pad a small market team roster to be traded away to build for the future.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I knew this topic was coming.

Randa is old, the team won't be winning for at least 5 years, Randa will be retired by then..Trade him.
    Go Gators!

They have the chips, and they need to be cashed in.

Casey and Randa should go, follwed by Mercker.

If they can get a deal done for Griffey, that would be icing on the cake.

Offer to pay some salary, but get them gone.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Joe's a stud. His age 35 season is going to be his breakout season and is only going to get better from here.
    Yeah, he's 35, and it doesn't get any better unless you have some steiroso sauce in the old stall every morning. My 7 year old loves him, but you have to trade the ones you love. See Aaron Boone.
    He and Mercker are the only two obvious moves a GM can play. I keep hoping Aurelia and Weathers would start playing over their heads so they could be added to the stew.
    We need good young players!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Not to single you out, sava, but where has his (or anyone else's) leadership taken the team? All reports say the clubhouse is a miserable place right now, and the Reds on-field performance is tee-ball-esque.
    True, but there must be leadership in a clubhouse somewhere, and right now all we hear about is Casey and Randa. Wilson was said to be a leader for the pitchers, but now he's done. The rest of the guys are pretty young, and I don't see any of them stepping up. Of course, this would all be a moot point if leadership came from the manager's office.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    True, but there must be leadership in a clubhouse somewhere, and right now all we hear about is Casey and Randa. Wilson was said to be a leader for the pitchers, but now he's done. The rest of the guys are pretty young, and I don't see any of them stepping up. Of course, this would all be a moot point if leadership came from the manager's office.
    Leadership does not trump talent. There is not enough talent, so leadership is a moot point. Not to mention talent is quantifiable, whereas leadership is intangible and arguable as to whether it is really a contributor to success or not. And, as has been pointed out, the team that just left town is a great example of where the true leadership ought to come from.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Casey and Randa are leaders in the clubhouse, yes.

Which way are they leading the club, though?

Somewhere, between the friendly banter and the hugs, they missed the on-ramp and are driving the bus down a lonely, desolate farmhouse road. The headlights are busted, so they can't see the signs telling them how to turn it around, and they don't seem to care that they're almost out of gas, the engine's rattling something fierce, and the back tire's about to go flat.

Lindner sprang for a GPS system before the trip, but Obie didn't bother to install it.

And Gullett ain't no mechanic.

(Man, I'm bad at analogies )

You get my point, though.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I really like Joe Randa. He has played well both at bat and in the field, seems to be a good guy, and would be just the fellow I'd want to have on a contending team.
    Trade him.
    The Reds won't be contenders for some time, and Randa is 35 years old.
    Thank him for his professionalism on a team that needs it.
    Trade him.
    Get some young talent for him, preferably a pitcher.
    A trade to a contender would be a favor to Randa.
    Trade him.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The Titanic had a captain too...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?