Thread: Don't Trade Randa !

Re: Don't Trade Randa !

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    The Titanic had a captain too...
    Went down with the ship didn't he?
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I saw the ChiSox are interested in Randa, I wonder what we could get out of them? Personally I think if we dont trade Randa it we be a very stupid move. We have our best prospect waiting to get his shot in AAA. Will we be able to resign Randa after this year? Probably not. Is Randa young, no. Will Randa help us contend this year, no. So why let him leave in free agency at the end of the year, when you can get something for him now. See what the Royals did with Carlos Beltran, that seems like an ovbious thing to do.

If Joe Randa was 22, i would be all over resigning him, but he's 35.

This topic is a prime example of what is wrong with this organization. We are a small market team. We must build through player development much like the Twins, the Marlins, the A's etc... Joe Randa was signed as a stopgap. No one wanted to rush EE and so by signing randa, it allowed us to "attempt" to be competitive this year and have a solid 3Bman. THis year is shot, and EE is producing in AAA, knocking on Cincy's door. Now is the time to bring him up.

EE is the future at 3B, it's just the way it is. If he blows it, ok, thats the way player development goes. In 2 or 3 years we'll have some1 else willing to take the ABs im sure. If he suceeds, we have a young 3Bman that will be making the major league minimum for 3 years and hop in to arbitration years the following 3. This is how organizations that arent boston and new york work. If we kept Randa we'd be counterproductive. We arent going to sign randa and trade EE for randy johnson. We arent the yankess, we dont trade prospects for stars. We are a mid to small market team that must develop their stars.

Randa's value will be at an all time high in the next couple weeks. We can probably get a top prospect maybe even 2 for him. THat is 2 more guys we can develop and hopefully will do the same the EE is doing, pushing himself into the major league line up/rotation

But 35 is not that old for a guy with his game if he has the "want" to play longer and the "want" to be in Cincy. His game is NOT based on great athleticism, great bat speed, great legs...none of that. His is a smart, fundamental game which would be of great influence as this team no doubt gets younger....

Even Pinella is upset about not having at least a few solid veterans around in Tampa to give them a chance. You can't go TOTAL youth. There is always room for a few key every day veterans and pitching veterans even in the midst of a youth movement.

Randa ain't chopped liver. He is a great mix avg, power, intangibles etc. - he'll hit anywhere from 2-7 in lineup and produce. And he has only made THREE errors all year.
    Last edited by BadFundamentals; 06-20-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    But 35 is not that old for a guy with his game if he has the "want" to play longer and the "want" to be in Cincy. His game is NOT based on great athleticism, great bat speed, great legs...none of that. His is a smart, fundamental game which would be of great influence as this team no doubt gets younger....

Even Pinella is upset about not having at least a few solid veterans around in Tampa to give them a chance. You can't go TOTAL youth. There is always room for a few key every day veterans and pitching veterans even in the midst of a youth movement.

Randa ain't chopped liver. He is a great mix avg, power, intangibles etc. - he'll hit anywhere from 2-7 in lineup and produce. And he has only made THREE errors all year.
    Then send Randa to Tampa... Randa's future is not here.

You have a tough time admitting fault in an argument.

Trade Randa to TB for Kazmir.

Nah, the Reds would regret it when Randa leads the Eggs to the WS in 2006.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

And he also happens to play a position that we have a replacement for...a cheaper replacement...a younger replacement...a faster replacement...a replacement with more power...a replacement with his best years ahead of him...oh, he has made more errors, there is a downside. Not to mention the short list of 3Bman on the market right now for those looking for one to choose from.

Now, let me weigh that...looks to me like the scale is weighted pretty heavily on the replacement's side, what to do, what to do.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Adamn Dunn is a 5 year player, Ken Griffey JR, Sean Casey Eric Milton, even Larue are vetrans...

ur arguement isn't there. Resigning Randa is exactly what an organization like the Reds shouldn't do...

I'll use the marlins for example. Burnett and Lowell were both prospects recieved through trade and they later became their stars. Bone of them if not both i believe was dealt for an ageing starter that didnt fit in long term plans... AL Leiter...

we must grather prospects and raise stars, not sign 35 year old stop gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    You have a tough time admitting fault in an argument.
    tough time = not possible

There is always room for a few key every day veterans and pitching veterans even in the midst of a youth movement.
    This is a very true statement, however, you don't keep those "every day veterans" if they are blocking your top prospects. Not only that, but the best time to add those "veterans" is when you have your young "core" intact and are starting to make a playoff run. That's when those veterans help. The Reds are no where near playoff contention, and as such, Randa should be moved to help find more of those younger "core" players we need to assemble to make a playoff run
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If Encarnacion was solid with the glove and was touted for things like "situational hitting", versatility, speed etc.....then you do definitley move Randa. Reds as a TEAM need to change their mix of players to incorporate more of those things. But when your prospect brings suspect defense and doesn't address the true voids on team his value added to this team will be far less. Randa has extra value to THIS team because his skill set is so lacking with other players.

Joe Morgan et al were talking about Chisox last night and what makes their offense so great is that they have so many different ways to score. If Reds aren't hitting long balls with guys on base then chances are they struggling (relatively speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    This is a very true statement, however, you don't keep those "every day veterans" if they are blocking your top prospects. Not only that, but the best time to add those "veterans" is when you have your young "core" intact and are starting to make a playoff run. That's when those veterans help. The Reds are no where near playoff contention, and as such, Randa should be moved to help find more of those younger "core" players we need to assemble to make a playoff run
    Don't go bringing logic into play. You're just going to confuse people.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    That is why you "swap" out a key/top Reds prospect (Encarnacion) for an equally strong pitching prospect(s) in a deal. You can't block him indefinitely - agreed.

And IF another team wanted RAnda bad enough that they are willing to give up top pitching prospect(s) for him then ok maybe you do it. But you don't just do it for Romano and Bong because he is a one year guy and REds have EE in the minors. Randa is far too valuable to this team if he wants to be in Cincy.

If Encarnacion was solid with the glove and was touted for things like "situational hitting", versatility, speed etc.....then you do definitley move Randa. Reds as a TEAM need to change their mix of players to incorporate more of those things. But when your prospect brings suspect defense and doesn't address the true voids on team his value added to this team will be far less. Randa has extra value to THIS team because his skill set is so lacking with other players.

Joe Morgan et al were talking about Chisox last night and what makes their offense so great is that they have so many different ways to score. If Reds aren't hitting long balls with guys on base then chances are they struggling (relatively speaking).
    Do you know how good his "situational" hitting is? I mean really, what stats do you have to back this up? Have you seen everyone of his games this year to have an imformed opinion? He has a lot of rbi, since that is important to you. He has several SFs, since that is important to you. He also has a good OPS. I really haven't seen any compelling argument you have made against EE starting over Randa. The errors? The errors will come around. Most are on throws, seems like another young player we have that has turned a corner and is playing decent defense right now.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Additionally, for anyone who hasn't seen Encarnacion play live....let me lay a little bit of a scary comparison on you, BRANDON LARSON. Hopefully not, but they both have that short, stocky build and from what I saw Encarnacion had a long stride, swoop swing that looked to be more of that dead pull hitter stuff we see every night with 80% of the current Reds players. Again, a little Brandon Larsony..........
    You say you have seen Encarnacion live? Then you should know that he's not built like Brandon Larson. Where are you getting short and stocky? He was a skinny 6'1" when he came to the Reds, and he's bulked up some. But stocky? He's more Griffey Jr. than Brandon Larson.

Larson was killing AAA pitching at age 27. Encarnacion is mashing at age 22.

Come on.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?