Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Foster's comments

Re: Foster's comments

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04
    I see ochre. BTW thanks for not closing the thread everyone despises. Now if you could only stop the frustrated ones from giving me neg rep points for not agreeing with 75% of the people on this board you would be my favorite fellow poster!
    its not so much that they are rep'ing you because they don't agree with you. Its your approach. People expressing their opinion is fine and a well respected tradition. The problem arises when people use their opinion as definitive statements and will not back down when other's refute their definitive statements with facts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Totally agreed, but where did I say Dunn wasn't solid at OBP, Walks or HR. Those facts that you speak of, I never refuted. My opinion was that I didn't think he was he best hitter on the team. People will have different opinions of what stats (facts) make a player the best hitter on the team.

Thanks, RedsBaron. Those lineups are just based on common sense -- I don't know why Miley can't bring himself to run them out there. Too much Casey love?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What makes a guy a good hitter?

How about the one that makes the fewest outs while accumulating the most bases.

That would be Adam Dunn.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04
    Totally agreed, but where did I say Dunn wasn't solid at OBP, Walks or HR. Those facts that you speak of, I never refuted. My opinion was that I didn't think he was he best hitter on the team. People will have different opinions of what stats (facts) make a player the best hitter on the team.
    I'm not going to go back through and check every post, but what I think happened was that people questioned the measurements you were using to identify who was/is the best hitter. In the face of these questions you continued to say the same thing, ignoring the evidence that seemed to indicate something you didn't agree with.

Its the inflexible stance in the face of contrary data that people are critiquing.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Of course not. I have used plenty of statistical arguments here and on mlb board. And I find many of the stats fascinating and useful.

Sometimes though, you have to deal with people/personalities/mixes of people etc.....yes "intuitive" more "subjective" things.

Here's my problem with what I've seen of your approach.

I agree that subjective judgments are very valuable in figuring out what's going on. But that doesn't mean that all subjective judgments are accurate.

There are good subjective judgments and there are bad ones.

My opinion of your judgment is not very high. You hide behind the label of "traditionalist", but you're giving traditionalists a very bad name.

There's a lot of truth in many things I've seen you write, but it seems like you always go off the deep end with your personal bias. It's tired and it's boring, and personally I'm sick of it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Here's my problem with what I've seen of your approach.

I agree that subjective judgments are very valuable in figuring out what's going on. But that doesn't mean that all subjective judgments are accurate.

There are good subjective judgments and there are bad ones.

My opinion of your judgment is not very high. You hide behind the label of "traditionalist", but you're giving traditionalists a very bad name.

There's a lot of truth in many things I've seen you write, but it seems like you always go off the deep end with your personal bias. It's tired and it's boring, and personally I'm sick of it.
    Well if I cared about your opinion (I don't) I might be offended. If I cared about you (I don't) I might be concerned. You are a weak man (or boy). You give forums/message boards a bad name with your mindless, herd mentality. And YOU are the one who is bringing this down to personal insult level. I don't care if you're sick of me. I care nothing about what you think.

Yep, I get that a lot.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

RFS62, looks like you've finally done it. You've got BF to say something that will hopefully get him booted....finally.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

"Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    RFS62, looks like you've finally done it. You've got BF to say something that will hopefully get him booted....finally.
    Luckily, what a follow the herd lackey like you thinks mwm doesn't usually carry much weight amongst intelligent/reasonable people.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Luckily, what a follow the herd lackey like you thinks mwm doesn't usually carry much weight amongst intelligent/reasonable people.
    Well, call me stupid.

Hi, my name is zombie. I'm a moderator around these here parts.

And I won't tolerate continued personal attacks on this board - from anyone. You've been given, and have given, a lot of grief on this board since you arrived here. I respect that you have a differing opinion on... well, pretty much everything we reasonable/intelligent people talk about here. And I'm willing to cut you a little slack because of it, since - from what I know - you don't often cover yourself in slime and roll around in it like you just did here.

But if you want to go on breaking Rule Five (one of my personal favorites), then I will ban you from the board.

So please keep that in mind when composing your future posts.

Thanks, and God bless.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Eh, looks like I was a little late to the party.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?