Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Foster's comments

Re: Foster's comments

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Dave Miley is the only person on the planet dumb enough to place someone with the skill set of Adam Dunn in the 6th slot in the lineup.
    Oh yeah?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Oh yeah?

Danny Ozark? Refresh my memory.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    would you rather your best hitters bat with 2 on and no outs, or a guy on second and one out?
    I'd rather my best hitter(s) bat with 2 on and no outs. If they get a hit they probably drive in a run or if they take a walk they load bases with no outs.

With a guy on second and one out, likely to be pitched carefully.
    - - - - - - - - - -

That is where Dunn could have helped himself the last few years. His year in and year out struggles with RISP/situational hitting, high strikeout rate, relatively low batting average have allowed it to remain in question whether or not he IS in fact one of the "best hitters" on team. IF he could have improved in those areas it would have become a no-brainer to displace a casey, griffey, kearns, pena - any of them to make room for him in 3 or 4 spot.

Ah. Ozark. Schmidt.

Ozark still alive?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Ah. Ozark. Schmidt.

Ozark still alive?
    where did he bat Schmidt back in the mid 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Danny Ozark? Refresh my memory.
    Mike Schmidt had over 1000 ab's in the 6th or lower spot and 6700 in the 3rd or 4th slot.

1975 he had this line

.249 .367 .523

and 375 ab's 6th or lower.

Wow that Mike Schmidt guy wasn't very good. He struck out 180 times one season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Wow that Mike Schmidt guy wasn't very good. He struck out 180 times one season.
    That was 104 more than the league average... Dunn's was 94.

That was 104 more than the league average... Dunn's was 94.
    no wonder Schmidt hit 6th and 7th. Dunn should be happy Miley doesn't move him down.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Mike Schmidt had over 1000 ab's in the 6th or lower spot and 6700 in the 3rd or 4th slot.

1975 he had this line

.249 .367 .523

Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying that Schmidt should have been hitting ahead of Unser and Montanez?
    Last edited by IowaRed; 06-20-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    I'd rather my best hitter(s) bat with 2 on and no outs. If they get a hit they probably drive in a run or if they take a walk they load bases with no outs.

With a guy on second and one out, likely to be pitched carefully.
    - - - - - - - - - -

That is where Dunn could have helped himself the last few years. His year in and year out struggles with RISP/situational hitting, high strikeout rate, relatively low batting average have allowed it to remain in question whether or not he IS in fact one of the "best hitters" on team. IF he could have improved in those areas it would have become a no-brainer to displace a casey, griffey, kearns, pena - any of them to make room for him in 3 or 4 spot.
    Adam Dunn's Slugging Percentage renders your entire argument moot. Always has.

You continue to think that Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Home Runs are all equal in value. They're not. What you haven't figured out is that Dunn's ability to drive runners further (including himself) when NOT in scoring position trumps any RISP BA argument you can provide. His ability to identify balls and strikes means that he can move more runners over without contact more than anyone on the team can by using Outs as a Runner advancement tool.

Until you realize that the game of baseball doesn't live in a RISP box, you'll continue to forward illogical positions you can't support.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-20-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Or on the flip side Dunn is totally unwilling or unable to make some of the basic adjustments which would make him easier to manage, more versatile, easier to fit into a system. (for any manager miley included)
    I have not seen someone so routinely wrong on a variety of subjects regarding the Reds than you are.

Its almost like you look for the general concesus on the board and just go opposite out of fun....
    Last edited by smith288; 06-20-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Its almost like you look for the general concesus on the board and just go opposite ....

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

1975 he had this line

.249 .367 .523

Yeah, but he had a sacrifice fly that season.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I have not seen someone so routinely wrong on a variety of subjects regarding the Reds than you are.

Its almost like you look for the general concesus on the board and just go opposite out of fun....
    actually, I've never seen a bigger group of statheads in one place in my whole life if you want to drop to an insult level.
    I wonder if a good portion of you have ever even played organized whiffle ball. Stats support and reveal things but those are actual players/humans out there. Noone is rolling dice or using a random number generator to determine outcomes of games.

Turn Off Ads?