Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Foster's comments

Re: Foster's comments

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I'll post these stats (one poster here may want to cover his eyes-stats are incoming!):
    Dunn has an OBP of .398, 11th in the NL.
    Dunn has a SPCT of .565, 5th in the NL.
    Dunn has an OPS of .963, 6th in the NL.
    I bet Casey is higher in all 3 of those 'cuz he's a better hitter.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I bet Casey is higher in all 3 of those 'cuz he's a better hitter.
    Casey does lead Dunn in GIDPs.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    actually, I've never seen a bigger group of statheads in one place in my whole life if you want to drop to an insult level.
    I wonder if a good portion of you have ever even played organized whiffle ball. Stats support and reveal things but those are actual players/humans out there. Noone is rolling dice or using a random number generator to determine outcomes of games.
    Please address this post from SteelSD.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Adam Dunn's Slugging Percentage renders your entire argument moot. Always has.

You continue to think that Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Home Runs are all equal in value. They're not. What you haven't figured out is that Dunn's ability to drive runners further (including himself) when NOT in scoring position trumps any RISP BA argument you can provide. His ability to identify balls and strikes means that he can move more runners over without contact more than anyone on the team can by using Outs as a Runner advancement tool.

Until you realize that the game of baseball doesn't live in a RISP box, you'll continue to forward illogical positions you can't support.
    Make your case. Make your case that sac flies are so important, and do it by telling us what the league average for sac flies was in 2004. Mention what the league high was (16) don't forget sac hits (24). Don't forget to mention who was 5th in the league in total bases last year (Dunn), and 6th in extra base hits (Dunn).

Cling to that runner in scoring position stuff, and forget runners on. because it don't count if there is a runner on first.

Code:

Dunn in 2004
    none on:      .266 .354 .605 .959  
    runners on:   .265 .423 .527 .950
    Dunn in 2005
    none on:      .232 .321 .543 .864
    runners on:   .263 .500 .575 1.075
    Dunn has had a few struggles, but NOT with runners on. Reall he's never struggled with runners on. but you want to drill down to find anything you can bad about him, simply because he doesn't fit your description of what a ball player is.

BTW About a year ago, I got to hear Pete Rose speak at a fundraier for Boy Scouts. He said he wanted to manage the Reds again someday and mentioned the reds 2 best hitters Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I like hitting him second because we have a couple of high OBP options to bat in front of him (I'd lean toward Freel, with Lopez hitting third). The advantage to having Dunn hit second is that he will get a lot of opportunities to hit with a runner on (lets say 39% of the time). That's where his strong SLG comes into play. With a runner on teams tend to pitch carefully to Dunn, but with a solid hitter(s) behind him like Lopez, Griffey and Casey, they won't really want to walk him all that often, so he's going to see some fastballs.

Leading off, he will bat after the pitcher quite a bit. Not the ideal spot to take advantage of his power if you ask me.
    #2 hole seems like the ideal spot for him. Sorry if my agreeing with you will cause a crisis of self-doubt That's the best place to take full advantage of his BBs. If he is challenged more in 2 hole and BBs fall greatly you can always re-evaluate.

I suspect though Miley just can't bring himself to do it. He sees the HRs, his physical size, the relatively low batting avg. (and the strikeouts) and just can't bring himself to do it. It's not like the Reds hit and run or sacrafice that much anyway to where his lack of bat control will be a great loss. He tried it in spring training with him.......why not in regular season??

Or maybe Dunn has fallen out of favor with Miley???....to the extent that he will keep him down in 6 hole as a result of his not addressing some of the issues in his game which maybe have been communicated to him that the coaches would like to see him address??.....(that is just speculation though as to why he won't try it......)

#2 hole seems like the ideal spot for him. Sorry if my agreeing with you will cause a crisis of self-doubt That's the best place to take full advantage of his BBs. If he is challenged more in 2 hole and BBs fall greatly you can always re-evaluate.

I suspect though Miley just can't bring himself to do it. He sees the HRs, his physical size, the relatively low batting avg. (and the strikeouts) and just can't bring himself to do it. It's not like the Reds hit and run or sacrafice that much anyway to where his lack of bat control will be a great loss. He tried it in spring training with him.......why not in regular season??

Or maybe Dunn has fallen out of favor with Miley???....to the extent that he will keep him down in 6 hole as a result of his not addressing some of the issues in his game which maybe have been communicated to him that the coaches would like to see him address??.....(that is just speculation though as to why he won't try it......)
    You think they're asking Adam Dunn to bunt or something?

What's "bat control" mean to you?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels

Prophesizing here:
    Hitting the ball to the right side to advance a runner with less than 2 outs.

Hitting the ball deep in the air with a runner on third and less than 2 outs.

et cetera.

TRF, In #2 hole, you can assign more value to OPB with RISP (extending inning) because you are "extending inning" for 2 or 3 of the team's best hitters. But not for a #6 hole hitter.

Look at a slightly more extreme example, Suppose he is batting #7 and has a .200 hitting LaRue or Aurilia batting 8th and then the pitcher's spot? A BB here is of far less relative value - here, you have a very likely out and an almost guranteed out up next. (you only get 3 outs an inning)

Any time a player can extend an inning it's a good thing.

That's one less out he's made, and one more attempt at an out that the pitcher will have to make.

Doesn't matter where a guy's hitting in the lineup.

I suppose a walk to Dunn with less than two outs and a runner on second and third means nothing?

Doesn't it load the bases?

Doesn't it create an opportunity to score another run?

What was wrong with Adam's approach in yesterday's game with runners in scoring position?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Bat control means to me the same thing it typically means to everyone else - able to use all fields, good 2 strike hitters, hit and run candidates, have ability to bunt.....etc...etc....Dunn does some things well (very well) but those aren't on the list.

That's one less out he's made, and one more attempt at an out that the pitcher will have to make.

Doesn't matter where a guy's hitting in the lineup.

I suppose a walk to Dunn with less than two outs and a runner on second and third means nothing?

Doesn't it load the bases?

Doesn't it create an opportunity to score another run?

What was wrong with Adam's approach in yesterday's game with runners in scoring position?
    You don't mean that. Why do you think they would "intentionally" walk a competent #8 hitter with men on second and third and 2 outs in the third inning? It extends the inning?..... They would do it because when they strikeout the pitcher in the next at bat nothing would be lost.

Giving up tactical walks is akin to BENDING but not BREAKING. Ok to bend just not break - and MUCH of that has to do with spot in batting order.

Bat control means to me the same thing it typically means to everyone else - able to use all fields, good 2 strike hitters, hit and run candidates, have ability to bunt.....etc...etc....Dunn does some things well (very well) but those aren't on the list.
    Dunn hits to the opposite field.

I'd never tell Dunn to bunt in a gazillion at bats.

I don't know Dunn's count numbers, but I gaurantee you that he does a yoeman's job of hitting with two strikes.

Yesterday he hit a three run homer on 3-2 count.

What place to you see in baseball for empirical evidence?

Should all personnel matters be decided based strictly upon sensory input?

Dunn hits to the opposite field.
    please, wheels check the hitting chart on mlb.com. And 90% of those left field dots on plot chart are weak popouts/flyouts indicative of a guy NOT able to use the opposite field effectively. Why do you think Bosox (and other teams) shift their infielders over to the right side for him?

again, he does things well but using whole field is not one of them. He's a dead pull hitter.

Why do you think Bosox (and other teams) shift their infielders over to the right side for him?
    because they plan on pounding him inside? With a lot of off-speed stuff?

That also includes having good at bats, and IIRC Dunn's HR was a 10 pitch ab to a fresh pitcher and chances are it effected his approach to the batters after Dunn (one who also homered) Having good at bats is more important than being able to hit and run or lay down a bunt for most players that are sluggers, those are micro moments for players that are made to do that sort of stuff.

But a good at bat is something that applys to every at bat during every situation in every game of the season.

Not everyone can be a contact hitter not everyone can generate massive power numbers and insane pitch counts, I like to have both on my teams.

Turn Off Ads?