Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy gas today.

Retired

Re: Buy gas today.

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    As I was lamenting the fact that it took $26 to fill up my Civic this afternoon, the manager of a local UDF said he has been instructed to raise the price to $2.60 on Tuesday.
    But there is no price fixing going on. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    But there is no price fixing going on. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    I thought price gouging (sp?) was illegal! Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't seem right!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

By William M. Welch, USA TODAY Fri Jul 1, 6:31 AM ET

Thefts of fuel from service stations are rising with the price of gasoline, and states are cracking down with stiffer penalties for pump-and-run pirates.

As the average price of a gallon of regular gas, $2.21, stands near record levels this holiday weekend, gas station owners say thefts are soaring. In response, at least 10 states have stiffened penalties this year or are considering it. (Related item: State-by-state gas prices)

"Our drive-offs are up probably 100%" this year, says Jeff Miller of Norfolk, Va., president of a company that operates 88 gas stations and convenience stores selling gas. "We're on track to lose about a quarter of a million dollars" in 2005.

Gas retailers lost $234 million to theft in 2004, more than double the amount in 2003, the National Association of Convenience Stores reports. The annual loss averaged $2,141 per store.

Catching drive-away thieves is difficult, even in states that allow judges to suspend drivers' licenses on top of criminal penalties. "It's a huge problem," says Jeff Lenard, an association spokesman. "It's something you see when the prices increase."

Lenard notes another alarming trend: theft of fuel by the tank load. In Alabama, a man was arrested when his specially designed truck blew up while he was pumping gas into it from an underground storage tank. In Miami, 55 have been arrested in a theft ring that siphoned fuel from tanks.

At least 28 states have toughened penalties so judges can yank licenses for gas-and-dash drivers, starting with Georgia in 1998.

"When you've got 10 states ... looking at this issue, it's pretty clear it's in response to something. It's rising prices," says Christie Rewey of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Requiring a cash or credit card payment before pumping would prevent gas theft, but Lenard says some retailers oppose that because it discourages drivers from going inside to buy more profitable items.

Cities are looking at requiring prepayment to reduce the time law officers spend on the crime.

Oklahoma state Rep. Paul Roan sponsored a bill to do that but saw it changed to a stiffer penalty. Roan, 62, a former Oklahoma state trooper, says cops don't like gas-and-dash calls. "You've got more things to do than be a bill collector for a service station," he says.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Cheapest gas in town, $2.29 for regular.

Would ketchup be this expensive if Kerry were president?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Would ketchup be this expensive if Kerry were president?
    I bet imported french mustard would be cheaper than it is too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I bet imported french mustard would be cheaper than it is too.
    Dammit Mr. President, we've got a dijon gap!

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Paid $2.14 today. Wonder what it will be tommorrow, the day before the 4th?

We still pay more for bottled water.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?