Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Notre Dame football...

  1. #1
    Member Playadlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sellersburg, Indiana
    Posts
    2,297

    Notre Dame football...

    Okay...this is something that has bugged me forever and I'd like to hear some opinions on this.

    Can someone please explain to me how Notre Dame has a unilateral TV contract with NBC? I do not understand this. I have asked, but nobody seems to be able to give me a logical legal answer how they were able to do this and still maintain membership in the NCAA, presumably a VOLUNTEER organization. I'm tellin' ya right now, If I were an AD at a school on their schedule, I would organize the other ADs playing them and DEMAND EQUAL SHARE OF THE TV REVENUE. If they refuse, then they throw the year away. The impotent NCAA needs to somehow get invovled, IMO.

    Seriously, how is this fair?
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Porkchop Sandwiches DoogMinAmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Homebase, Ohio
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    I do know this is part of the reason ND refuses to join a football conference, they don't want ot share their revenues. However, this NBC contract is coming to an end, and with the recent woes of the program, it does not seem like it will be renewed, hence the recent talk of ND maybe joining the ACC.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

    Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

  4. #3
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    1,878

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    I believe NBC renewed the contract already, but may be remembering wrong.

    Anyway, I think the answer is that TV contracts are controlled by conferences - i.e. the SEC has a deal with CBS for Saturday afternoon games - and since ND is not in a conference as a football team (yet were able to weasel their way into the Big East in all other sports), they basically control their own TV schedules.

    Their deal started maybe 10-15 years ago, so if it was against NCAA rules or anything, somebody would have complained by now, but with the way TV arrangements are now handled, their deal is perfectly fine.

    That's how I understand it anyway.

  5. #4
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,504

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    If I were an AD at a school on their schedule, I would organize the other ADs playing them and DEMAND EQUAL SHARE OF THE TV REVENUE. If they refuse, then they throw the year away. The impotent NCAA needs to somehow get invovled, IMO.
    My experience is that the less the NCAA is involved, the better off everyone is.

    My guess is that each of the teams that trek to ND during a given year get a decent paycheck.

    (In NCAA-speak, it's called a "game guarantee".)

    For the bigger rivals, like USC, they probably don't get a guarantee. Instead, they get a return visit from the Irish where they sell out their own stadium.

    Add in the fact that a game at ND means national tv for the visitors, and it's a pretty sweet package that the Irish can offer.

    That's why they pretty much get to dictate who they play and where they play them.

  6. #5
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,380

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    I do know this is part of the reason ND refuses to join a football conference, they don't want ot share their revenues. However, this NBC contract is coming to an end, and with the recent woes of the program, it does not seem like it will be renewed, hence the recent talk of ND maybe joining the ACC.
    Notre Dame in the ACC makes absolutely no sense, especially when the conference in their own back yard -- the Big10 -- has an odd number of members.

    Why would ND want to be a part of the ACC and snub the more logical Big10? What does it stand to gain by playing such nobodys (to them at least) as Wake Forest, Duke and Virginia? ND has a history with each Big10 insititution, possibly with the exception of Iowa. The only reason that I can think that ND doesn't want to join the Big10 is because the school doesn't want to dip into recruiting wars in the Midwest with other conference schools. That and the fact that ND wouldn't be big fish in the Big10 -- that prestigious distinction has always and will always belong to Ohio State and Michigan (regardless of records).

    Also, ND consistently plays Michigan, MSU, Purdue and Northwestern and frequently loses to at least two of those schools a year. And let's not forget the two-year ND/OSU series in the mid-90s, when the Buckeyes embarassed the Irish in both games. Perhaps ND figures they have a better chance to compete in the ACC.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 06-21-2005 at 12:05 PM.

  7. #6
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    My experience is that the less the NCAA is involved, the better off everyone is.

    My guess is that each of the teams that trek to ND during a given year get a decent paycheck.

    (In NCAA-speak, it's called a "game guarantee".)

    For the bigger rivals, like USC, they probably don't get a guarantee. Instead, they get a return visit from the Irish where they sell out their own stadium.

    Add in the fact that a game at ND means national tv for the visitors, and it's a pretty sweet package that the Irish can offer.

    That's why they pretty much get to dictate who they play and where they play them.
    I am suprised that good old Myles Brand hasn't tried to take on Notre Dame's exclusive contract but then again he won't take on coach K's Amex deal either so what can you really expect from him. He was president at Indiana when I was there and from meeting him, I don't think he has a thought in his head.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

  8. #7
    Member Playadlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sellersburg, Indiana
    Posts
    2,297

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    He was president at Indiana when I was there and from meeting him, I don't think he has a thought in his head.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Notre Dame football...

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    Why would ND want to be a part of the ACC and snub the more logical Big10?
    Because ND likes to associate themselves with the east coast. They have a lot of alumni in the east coast. I am not sure the ACC is the best choice. A Big East with Virginia Tech, BC, and Miami would have been better for them, but thats not the case anymore. I agree, I think the Big 10 is better for them, but I am biased because I'm a Purdue grad. But also I am grad student at ND, and the feeling I get here is that they aren't joining a conference anytime soon, and if they were I doubt it would be a the big 10.

    Also, the NBC contract was renewed last year, so this whole conference thing isn't going to be an issue for a couple more years


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25