Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: So, whatcha reading?

Re: So, whatcha reading?

Wow, I am thrilled that you mentioned Kathryn Davis. I just finished The Thin Place not too long ago and was amazed. You are absolutely right about her. It's the only book of hers that I have read and I only read it because some of the litbloggers wouldn't shut up about how great it was. Do you have a suggestion on which of her books to read next?

I read quite a lot of contemporary fiction, but most of what I read is from the older writers. I can't stomach much of the young attractive New Yorker (place of residence, not magazine) type of fiction. I tried to read Indecision by Kunkel and wanted to cry at what gets hyped these days. I will stick with Murakami, Auster and the like.

I am impressed that you made it through an MFA. I went for a semester to Brooklyn College for an MFA and couldn't tolerate it.

As for the ULA, I actually agree with a lot of what they have to say, but they are so ridiculous about it that they will never be taken seriously. Did Dave Eggers steal this guy's girlfriend or what?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan
    Wow, I am thrilled that you mentioned Kathryn Davis. I just finished The Thin Place not too long ago and was amazed. You are absolutely right about her. It's the only book of hers that I have read and I only read it because some of the litbloggers wouldn't shut up about how great it was. Do you have a suggestion on which of her books to read next?

I read quite a lot of contemporary fiction, but most of what I read is from the older writers. I can't stomach much of the young attractive New Yorker (place of residence, not magazine) type of fiction. I tried to read Indecision by Kunkel and wanted to cry at what gets hyped these days. I will stick with Murakami, Auster and the like.

I am impressed that you made it through an MFA. I went for a semester to Brooklyn College for an MFA and couldn't tolerate it.

As for the ULA, I actually agree with a lot of what they have to say, but they are so ridiculous about it that they will never be taken seriously. Did Dave Eggers steal this guy's girlfriend or what?

I'd read Hell by K. Davis immediately. I have a good friend who is currently studying under Ms. Davis right now; he said she's a brilliant teacher in addition to being an astonishingly great writer.

The program that I went through was so absurdly poetry-oriented that it made for a tremendously supportive environment. I had it easy, I suppose.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'd read Hell by K. Davis immediately. I have a good friend who is currently studying under Ms. Davis right now; he said she's a brilliant teacher in addition to being an astonishingly great writer.

The program that I went through was so absurdly poetry-oriented that it made for a tremendously supportive environment. I had it easy, I suppose.

Thanks. I'll grab it tomorrow. Working in a library can be quite convenient. Do you read much in the way of contemporary poetry? I don't really follow it much. Bob Creeley was my last connection to living poets, so when he died I was screwed.

Farnsworth, Young, and Sanger - Contracts
    Rabin, Kwall, Rabin - Fundamentals of Modern Property Law

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I'm currently working on Game of Shadows about the organzied African American baseball.
    Made a mistake, I'm actually reading "Shades of Glory" about African American baseball history.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan
    The Devil In the White City was very good. Along the same lines, I recently read Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer and found it quite entertaining.

Another plug for Devil, fascinating book. I've heard rumors it's going to be made into a movie. The 12 day chase is on my to read list.

Right now, The Dead Beat by Marilyn Johnson. It's about obits and obit writers. Appreciated if you have an offbeat sense or humor or interests.

Alexander McCall Smith has a little series, not the lady detective series, but one about a German professor that is very amusing. There is Portuguese Irregular Verbs, The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs and a third title for which the name escapes me. He's also going to be in Fairfield soon, May 2, to talk about his works.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Made a mistake, I'm actually reading "Shades of Glory" about African American baseball history.
    Well, I am reading Game of Shadows, so we've got it all covered.

I just finished Anna Karenina which makes me very proud, that thing was looooong. Very good as well.

On the baseball side, I'm starting the new Andrew Zimbalist book, In the Best Interests of Baseball? The Revolutionary Reign of Bud Selig. I'm hoping it will be good since I've liked a lot of his other stuff.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    I just finished Anna Karenina which makes me very proud, that thing was looooong. Very good as well.

On the baseball side, I'm starting the new Andrew Zimbalist book, In the Best Interests of Baseball? The Revolutionary Reign of Bud Selig. I'm hoping it will be good since I've liked a lot of his other stuff.
    Was it the (Penguin Classic Deluxe Edition) Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation of AK? It is superb. I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    Was it the (Penguin Classic Deluxe Edition) Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation of AK? It is superb. I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    That's the one! I really enjoyed it which was unexpected. I like my long, arty farty French novels but I'd never really tried the Russian stuff and was a little worried it would be too grim or boring. But it was great and now I really want to read more Ruskie Lit, just as soon as I finish the other 5 or 6 books that all need to be returned to the library in two weeks .
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin411
    That's the one! I really enjoyed it which was unexpected. I like my long, arty farty French novels but I'd never really tried the Russian stuff and was a little worried it would be too grim or boring. But it was great and now I really want to read more Ruskie Lit, just as soon as I finish the other 5 or 6 books that all need to be returned to the library in two weeks .
    Read The Double by Dostoievsky. My favorite novella on earth.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Russian literature is my favorite. I have a taste for tragedy.

Ibsen, playwright, is good as well. Hedda Gabler, A Doll's House.....
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Crime and Punishment and Notes from the Underground are my one and two favorite books.

Jose Garcia Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie_Free
    Jose Garcia Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude
    Fantastic book. I think we had a discussion about that one on here a couple of years ago. I was reading it for the first time, and Roy Tucker recalled that it was a fine book but all he remembered was everyone being named some form of "Jose". That can be more than a little confusing.

One thing is for sure though: I've never read a book quite like this one. It's unique. If classic books were American cities, I think 100 Years of Solitude would be New Orleans.

Turn Off Ads?