Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remains of confederate soldiers found on site of new KC sports arena

Remains of confederate soldiers found on site of new KC sports arena

http://www.pitch.com/Issues/current/news/feature.html

The article is 5 pages long, so I didn't copy and paste it. It is a fascinating read, though.

Basically, while excavating for the sports arena, they found the remains of 6 Confederate soldiers -- "Bartlett's Unfortunates." This makes the site of the downtown arena a historical monument and places the site under the state of Missouri's control. Several Confederate groups donated heavily to Gov. Matt Blunt's campaign, so he is pretty much in their pocket. They are insisting on a full-blown memorial for the soldiers, *including a confederate flag flying above the arena.*

My favorite quote: ""You can kiss the NBA goodbye."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remains of confederate soldiers found on site of new KC sports arena

We signed up in San Antone my brother Paul and me
    To fight with Ben McCulloch and the Texas infantry
    Well the poster said we'd get a uniform and seven bucks a week
    The best rations in the army and a rifle we could keep

When I first laid eyes on the general I knew he was a fightin' man
    He was every inch a soldier every word was his command
    Well his eyes were cold as the lead and steel forged into tools of war
    He took the lives of many and the souls of many more

Well they marched us to Missouri and we hardly stopped for rest
    Then he made this speech and said we're comin' to the test
    Well we've got to take Saint Louie boys before the yankees do
    If we control the Mississippi then the Federals are through

Well they told us that our enemy would all be dressed in blue
    They forgot about the winter's cold and the cursed fever too
    My brother died at Wilson's creek and Lord I seen him fall
    We fell back to the Boston Mountains in the North of Arkansas

CHORUS
    Goddamn you Ben McCulloch
    I hate you more than any other man alive
    And when you die you'll be a foot soldier just like me
    In the devil's infantry

And on the way to Fayetteville we cursed McCulloch`s name
    And mourned the dead that we'd left behind and we was carrying the lame
    I killed a boy the other night who'd never even shaved
    I don't even know what I'm fightin' for I ain't never owned a slave

So I snuck out of camp and then I heard the news next night
    The Yankees won the battle and McCulloch lost his life

For a Level Playing Field

But the real question is... where is Jimmy Hoffa?!?

I imagine there are lots of Civil War remains yet to be found in our country. Interesting stuff. I'll have to read the whole thing when I get the time.

I'm sure it doesn't have as much impact unless you live in KC and know what a big deal the new arena is. I thought it was just a bizarre story that would appeal to politicos and history buffs alike.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

There are some great quotes in that article. I particularly like this one:

"I can't tell you what a remarkable turnaround that would be," says University of Missouri-Kansas City social ecologist Hayden Cruller of the Barnes memo. "You have to understand, this city has spent the last 50 years sterilizing itself from its jazz and red-light-district past like it was fumigating a pest-ridden tenement building. For it to suddenly embrace that past would be a stunning about-face. And all because six *****mongering rebel soldiers were dug up? That's poetic justice on crack is what that is."
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I read the whole thing and I just have to say wow. That leader of the conferderate society is insane right? He's delusional at least to say that you want to build a memorial to the confederacy on site where 6 soldiers died that were rumored to be headed to the *****house. What great men these must have been to be murdered by pimps or hoes or both even. I have never understood the whole remember the South movement but then again I have been a Yankee all my life.

OK, I'll bite. Why are they building a new arena in KC, Johnny? I see you said something about an NBA team. Do they really think they can get an NBA team there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    OK, I'll bite. Why are they building a new arena in KC, Johnny? I see you said something about an NBA team. Do they really think they can get an NBA team there?

Amazing story. The Confederate group leader calls this "hallowed ground"? The six Confederate soldiers reportedly were killed by *****s after a night of whoring-that makes it "hallowed ground"???? They want a "re-enactment"? Man, I'd pay money to watch that!!!
    I love the quote: "Don't vex the *****s of Kansas." I wonder if Kansas could adopt that as the new state motto. (That's not an anti-Kansas slur by the way)
    Look, I respect the sacrifices and dedication common soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War made. The song posted by WOY was right on point. As in most wars, it was primarily a poor man's fight. So fine-give these six dead soldiers from a 19th century war a decent reburial somewhere and get on with life in the 21st century.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The rate things are going in the NBA, they might get this one:

or this one:

or this one.....

I also wouldn't be surprised if the way this team keeps stumbling around, that this one might be on its way out....

WOY beat me to the punch with the Cincy Royals.....but when they first moved west Kansas City had to share the renamed Kings with.......

Enjoy the logos...I'm sure this is a BIG NBA crowd......Andy Furman was ALWAYS trying to land the NBA in Cincinnati....
    Last edited by Heath; 06-23-2005 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Clippers Logo WAY too big...

The current arena (Kemper) is basically crumbling. Plus there is a half-assed project to re-invigorate the downtown area, and some city leaders think an arena would be a centerpiece. It involves a whole lot of tax dollars being funnelled away from less important things like schools. They envisioned attracting an NBA and/or NHL team, but I doubt they could do it even without this confederate flag mess.

BTW - I think "Don't Vex the *****s of Kansas" would look a whole lot better than "Ad Astra Per Aspera" on the Kansas state flag.

I would also like to point out that this whole mess is occurring in Missouri. Ain't nothin' good ever come outta Missouri.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 06-23-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Stormin' Norman, Nate the Skate, and Slammin' Sam.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Stormin' Norman, Nate the Skate, and Slammin' Sam.
    Harry Truman. Ken Boyer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Ignore me...i'll read better next time, I promise...
    Last edited by Heath; 06-23-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Didn't Read the FULL Story.....

Speaking of arenas and the NBA, Louisville apparently hasn't given up hope on getting a franchise. The big debate right now is where to build the new arena, which as of now would be for U of L. Some want it at the present site of Freedom Hall, which is the state fairgrounds, three miles or so from downtown. Others want it on campus, while others want it downtown. The fairgrounds is by far the best for traffic and parking, but downtown is probably where it should go. If they put it on campus, the NBA will never come.

I don't even like or watch the NBA, but I'd love to see a team come, to heal the wounds of the Colonels getting screwed by their ABA brethren when they moved to the NBA in 1976. I could even become a fan, unless the team was awful and stayed that way.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?