Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Republican Candidate Calls Bush Administration “Nazis”

Re: Republican Candidate Calls Bush Administration “Nazis”

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Speaking of word-twisting, what's up with all the news sources calling that Killen guy from Mississippi (who killed the civil rights workers) an "ex" or "former" Klan member? Are you kicked out for not paying dues? Don't you have to renounce the Klan's philosophies to be a "former" or "ex" Klansmen? Is there a Klan Kard? Personally, I think that if you're an adult and you choose to be a Klansman that label should follow you to the grave.
    There is at least one adult who chose to be a Klansman, and who wrote a letter condemning the "mongrelization" of the nation that would occur through integration, who serves in the U.S. Senate even today. This same Senator voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and also voted against every African-American ever nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court. The label may follow him to the grave, but he has prospered anyway.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    There is at least one adult who chose to be a Klansman, and who wrote a letter condemning the "mongrelization" of the nation that would occur through integration, who serves in the U.S. Senate even today. This same Senator voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and also voted against every African-American ever nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court. The label may follow him to the grave, but he has prospered anyway.
    Robert Byrd?

I have no love for the guy, but haven't there only been 2 African Americans ever nominated to the Supreme Court? (both confirmed)
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Speaking of word-twisting, what's up with all the news sources calling that Killen guy from Mississippi (who killed the civil rights workers) an "ex" or "former" Klan member? Are you kicked out for not paying dues? Don't you have to renounce the Klan's philosophies to be a "former" or "ex" Klansmen? Is there a Klan Kard? Personally, I think that if you're an adult and you choose to be a Klansman that label should follow you to the grave.
    I am surprised to hear this from you. I thought I have heard you mention that your life involves helping others to find work after they have received rehabilitation for crimes they committed. Along the same vein... should future employers not trust people who once saw crime as a means to support themselves? You seem to be saying that we should "scarlett letter" people who were Klan members. I personally wouldn't mind it, since I have no tolerance for people who do and join ignorant things. Regardless of their reason(s) for doing these ignorant things.

On a side note... the Klan used to be a real popular thing in Ohio way back when in the early 1900's. It was more about having an organization to rival the Catholics org. called The Knights of Columbus. For awhile in some parts it was all about hatred of Catholics and not so much the things that we normally associate with the KKK. I had a great aunt who passed away back in the late 1980's. I went with my father to Jackson, Ohio where she lived to help cleanup her house for sale. She had gobs of junk in her cellar. I found a box full of KKK literature and other items. I was shocked. My father explained that her late husband was a member as were most of the males in his family. Later I took some time to study this junk. Everything in it was about raising a good family and a hatred for Catholics. Nothing about black Americans or Jews or anything that we normally think. There were even handwritten notes about certain men in the area that were confronted for beating on their wife. It was interesting to say the least. Different times back then of course, but still a very bad thing (esp. today!).
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    ... but haven't there only been 2 African Americans ever nominated to the Supreme Court? (both confirmed)
    Yes. Despite the far-reaching efforts of one political party and a woman who was jilted in love to stop the nomination of one of these fine men.

I will not mention any names!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I am surprised to hear this from you. I thought I have heard you mention that your life involves helping others to find work after they have received rehabilitation for crimes they committed. Along the same vein... should future employers not trust people who once saw crime as a means to support themselves? You seem to be saying that we should "scarlett letter" people who were Klan members. I personally wouldn't mind it, since I have no tolerance for people who do and join ignorant things. Regardless of their reason(s) for doing these ignorant things.

On a side note... the Klan used to be a real popular thing in Ohio way back when in the early 1900's. It was more about having an organization to rival the Catholics org. called The Knights of Columbus. For awhile in some parts it was all about hatred of Catholics and not so much the things that we normally associate with the KKK. I had a great aunt who passed away back in the late 1980's. I went with my father to Jackson, Ohio where she lived to help cleanup her house for sale. She had gobs of junk in her cellar. I found a box full of KKK literature and other items. I was shocked. My father explained that her late husband was a member as were most of the males in his family. Later I took some time to study this junk. Everything in it was about raising a good family and a hatred for Catholics. Nothing about black Americans or Jews or anything that we normally think. There were even handwritten notes about certain men in the area that were confronted for beating on their wife. It was interesting to say the least. Different times back then of course, but still a very bad thing (esp. today!).
    Like I said in my post, if you publicly renounce your decision to join the Klan and live a life afterwards dedicated to changing your ways, I would consider that contrition. But clearly Killen doesn't fit that bill. That's all I'm saying.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Byrd's a monster. Just like Helms and Strom Thurmond and John Ashcroft.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Yes. Despite the far-reaching efforts of one political party and a woman who was jilted in love to stop the nomination of one of these fine men.

I will not mention any names!
    Like Eugene Robinson once wrote:

Clarence Thomas is the whitest black man I know.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Honestly, I'm shocked and amazed more people aren't up in arms about how far off the rails our government has gone (and I'm talking about both parties here). Democratic compliance is every bit as bad as Republican paternalism.
    You can get away with stuff like that when there's a war on. Alien and Sedition act (although there wasn't a hot war going on there sure was a cold one), suspension of habeus corpus writs during the Civil War, internment camps during WWII, the HUAC during the Cold War, all the crap LBJ and Nixon pulled during Vietnam. The government can justify this by saying that there's a war on and if you don't accept this kind of stuff the enemy will win. If you dissent you appear to be unpatriotic, a troublemaker, or even a war criminal. Most governments engaging in such practices will use that fear to their political advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Like I said in my post, if you publicly renounce your decision to join the Klan and live a life afterwards dedicated to changing your ways, I would consider that contrition. But clearly Killen doesn't fit that bill. That's all I'm saying.
    Maybe he said somewhere along the line recently that he renounced his membership in the KKK just to make himself look better for his trial. I don't know, just speculation. I know if I was facing life in prison I would be pulling out every trick in the book to get out of it. Not saying he was sincere if he DID happen to renounce his membership, just that maybe he did in order to look better before the jury.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Like Eugene Robinson once wrote:
    Clarence Thomas is the whitest black man I know.
    What? You mean that safety for the Atlanta Falcons who was arrested for soliciting an undercover cop posing as a prostitute the night before the biggest game of his pro career?!?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Maybe he said somewhere along the line recently that he renounced his membership in the KKK just to make himself look better for his trial. I don't know, just speculation. I know if I was facing life in prison I would be pulling out every trick in the book to get out of it. Not saying he was sincere if he DID happen to renounce his membership, just that maybe he did in order to look better before the jury.
    I agree. There's nothing to go on in this world but a man's words and his actions. He could have, but I've not read one scrap that says he is contrite or that he's renounced his membership. And yeah, it may just be a ploy if he was to do it.

If anything, his attitude has shown a considerable amount of intransigence and stubbornness, not typically the hallmarks of contrition.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Robert Byrd?

I have no love for the guy, but haven't there only been 2 African Americans ever nominated to the Supreme Court? (both confirmed)
    Yep. Byrd voted against both.
    I don't know Byrd's heart. Maybe he really has changed, but he was in his mid to late 20s when he was active in the KKK, so he wasn't a mere kid. That said, it was a long time ago, so I may be unfair to him bringing his KKK membership up.
    I've always thought certain politicians of Byrd's former era were opportunists first and racists second. I'm particularly thinking of Strom Thurmond and George Wallace. Both initially built their politcal careers on racism, but when the political winds changed, they then welcomed support from African-Americans. If Wallace had thought that there were more votes in supporting rather opposing integration in 1963, he probably would've been opening the school house door rather than blocking it.
    Of course, after his death we learned that Thurmond was receptive to African-Americans in certain ways even early in his career.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    The average person on the street, however, won't initially equate Naziism with the stifling of dissent--but with the murder of 12 million people.
    But simply trying to stifle dissent is not a characteristic solely equated to Nazism. And that is why the term should not be thrown around so loosely. Even democracies stifle certain types of dissent. Even political parties do it to those within their own party over ideological differences. The judicial branch does it. It's evident everywhere.

Also- it's HOW (tactics used) that dissent is being stifled. The Nazi's terrorized, intimidated, and tried to isolate those within their society (Jews). And when that didn't prove effective, they isolated, tortured, experimented on, and murdered mercilessly. It was nothing short of pure, unadulterated evil. Hitler was a disturbed psychopath/madman.

Anything close/similar to that happening in this country? No.

Sometimes my teenagers think their Mom and Dad are members of the Nazi party simply by the rules we set within this household.

It seems the term Nazi was thrown out a few years ago at this adminstration, and now it's kinda caught on as a "catch phrase" due to the sensationalism it brings.

Those using it know exactly why, and the intent, for why they are using it.... to malign. Pure and simple. Either that, or they are just simply ignorant of what a Nazi is, and what is identified with that ideology.

It's sad.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-26-2005 at 09:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Great post GAC, that is pretty much what I was trying to get at but failed to word it quite as well.

Turn Off Ads?